• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My old friend...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old friend...

This morning my best friend died. Unfortunately I wasn't there.
    Two days ago I had a good visit with him where he told me he had named me his executor and told me what he wanted to do.
    We had a long term relationship dating back to when we were boys. Worked together, played together, our whole lives. Hocky, baseball, barroom brawls!
    In the end he told me " I'm going to leave you two things: My knife(made in Texas...I'd always coveted it") and my ashes. Throw them out wherever the grass might use it but I prefer the hill where the crocuses grow!"
    Now I will tell you I was doing my best not to blubber...we both knew the time wasn't too far away! He also told me he was leaving his truck, quad, trailor, hunting and fishing stuff to Johnny and Marie(my son and daughter in law)...they took care of him the last several months.
    He also told me that he was leaving his money to the nuns, where he had been educated.
    When he noticed I was a wee bit upset he said " Chin up you old bugger! Do you think no body dies! It comes to us all...men, horses ,dogs! You'll be with me soon enough...minding you mend your ways!"
    Well we had a good visit after that, reminiscing about the old days when we were young and full of hope.
    Well I'm not ashamed to admit I had my little weep in private. He was a damned good man.

cowman, sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a friend is very hard, especially one that you've had your whole life. I don't know you personally but I feel like I've gotten to know you a bit through this site. And remember, you can judge a man by his friends--if your friend was a good man, he's reflected in yourself.

kpb

Comment

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Comment

sympathies aswell cowman.

Comment

I am sorry to hear about your loss, cowman, it is never easy to loose someone we are close to. It sounds like your memories are very special and they are what you can hold close, especially to get your over the rough part. Even when we loose someone, they still live on is us and that is the beauty of family and friends. Heartfelt sympathies at this time.

Linda

Comment

cowman, losing a friend or a family member is one of the toughest things that can happen to us.
            I have a very good friend who has been diagnosed with cancer and will likely not be around a year from now.
            I sent him an email as soon as I heard and had a lengthy one back. He said that the one thing that will keep his spirits up, and keep him going is the friends that care enough to call, write and just sit and talk about anything that comes to mind.
            I am sure your friend appreciated all the things you did for him, but most of all he surely appreciated the fact that he had a good friend in you.

Comment

His sister drove up early yesterday and his brother is flying in today from Vancouver. The preist was with him right at the end and he got religion in the last few weeks.
              My son and daughter in law are pretty broke up about it, but I'm okay. I've always had a strong faith.
              That darned cancer can be a real bugger! I don't think he suffered all that much as they poured the dope to him.

Comment

Cowman- My sincere condolenses as well. And for once don't know of anything I could say that will make much difference. Sorry.

Comment

I lost a precious grandaughter to cancer five years ago. The only way we carrry on is not to let the memory of the pain and suffering she endured block the wonderful memories we have of her growing up .

We take comfort in knowing that we have our very own special angel.

Comment

...sorry for your lost cowman... from reading your posts the last year or two i would like to say your friend was very blessed to having you in his life... you seem to come across as a person with great integrity...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...