• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC Leadership

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Leadership

I am starting a new post on this topic because the Preston for Premier one is becoming more of a post on issues regarding municipal politics which of course is a very important topic.

The Edmonton Journal poll today says Preston would have double the support of Dinning if he ran for the leadership, and still shows Oberg running third !!!!

Very interesting !!!

What is interesting and I think worth noting is this fact. In 1987 Preston was confronted by some, who wanted him to explain the seemingly condradicting stratagy of starting a "Western", "federal" party, that had 8 of its top 10 priorities, constitutional change.

This apraoch did not make sense as it was obvious that constitutional change is brought about by aggreement between provinces, NOT a federal government.

He convinced the delegates at 3rd or 4th convention to go down the same roads as the Socreds, Progressives and CCF. Repeating history.

He dismissed this objection and from then on did his best to stifle any move, by anybody, who wanted to start "reform" provincial parties in the west.

Now he is enlitened and wants to be a premier...guess he just wasn't "THINKING BIG" back then!

Albertans beware. Remember Rick Anderson.

Comment

I would highlight Minister Horners recent press release after the meeting of provincial Ag. Ministers.

The end of April deadline for agreement on rules in WTO negotiations represents a crucial point in determining the future growth and prosperity of the agri-food industry, Horner said.

"Our industry's sustainability is dependent on improved market access, the elimination of export subsidies and substantial reductions in production and trade distorting domestic subsidies of other countries," he said.

I would also highlight the AGC press release.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agc10410

Comment

Bottom line Ivebinconned: If Preston wants it...he just might get it!
        Now you might think that is an abomination...but you don't get to vote!
        I think Preston Manning is a man of integrity...you don't! Sorry you don't get to vote! Albertans will decide who is fit to be their leader?

Comment

I can't believe that the Calgary area would support Manning over Dinning and I don't know if he would get the rural support that Stelmach should pick up.

Maybe the only people polled were the old farts that supported his father.

Now, my parents were NOT Social Credit sympathizers, they referred to MLA's as Manning's Little Angels back in the day !!!!
          My Dad always said that Manning sold the oil industry South before it got a chance to get going.....

Comment

Now emerald...those old farts...might refer to me!
            Earnest Manning never sold out to anyone...and no matter what you might say...I won't believe it!
            The man is an icon...you just can't treash him! Sorry...just my opinion.

Comment

I hope anyone but Dinning gets the coronation. If I rember right it was Lougheed that gave the oil industry away for $2 per barrel to make a few jobs,

Comment

Cowman...you are right about ONE thing, I can't vote....but my five kids can, and thats four more than you!! Ha And I would hope to have some influence.

But you surprise me...a "western" separtist...excited about the guy who engineered the deflection of the last (1987) big wave of western alienation, into yet another experiment in federal politics. A complete and utter bust!

He watered down most of what Reform stood for and had zero interst in solving agricultue problems. In fact he didn't even want to hear of them, as I pointed out before.

Sounds to me like you are a Manning zealot, oh well you are not alone. But a caution, when you put a man on a pedestal you will only be crushed when he falls.

Preston was dumped for a reason, don't forget that, and he has been squirming around looking for something to lead again...just a few months ago he was turning "green"!!??

Those of us who challenged him in 87 with the FACT that to fix the nation one most control the provinces he dismissed. Only now, 19 years later, after squashing attemps by others to start western provincial "Reform" parties.... and with an opening for him to be "relevant" once again...

Well if you think he is thinking of anything but himself, I wonder if I can interest you in some ocean front property just south of North Battleford!!

He is a federalist first...be warned!

Comment

It will be interesting for sure I see Manning though as a federalist whether he will truly stand up for Alberta is a question with me,, I also think if he enters he will do well. However it smacks of being opportunistic, I have always felt his talents lend themselves more to Statesman than provincial leader. He would be a very good choice for an ambassador somewhere though.

Comment

I always have to reply to these WTo discussions as they tend to fire me up. As a young farmer (32) I find this to be one of the most misleading ag discussions out there. Government officials spout garbage talking points about how we need increased access and lower tariffs to survive. True enough I suppose but what is always very carefully left out of those talking points is when any decisions made at the WTO in regard to these issues, good or bad, will come into affect on the farm. For example, I recently had a discussion wiht one of Canada past lead negotiators. When asked directly for a time line his thoughts were changes made in this round of WTO negotiations would affect Canadian farmers around 2020 or later. Not sure age of the guys that post here but, I for oen don't really want to wait 15-20 years for a chance of increased profitability. Sorry for the angry post but I get very tired of hearing government officials and their various sycophants tout the WTO as the Golden Chalice for Canadian farmers. It simply is not true for your generation or mine. Maybe the next?

Comment

I thought he might have gotten the US ambassador position.

Global news this evening said one reason he was so high in the polls is due to the name recognition.

I imagine Dinning is sweating some if Manning does have some of his Cowtown support.

Global was also referring to Manning's HANDLERS !!!!! GEEZ, this is Alberta for godsake !! Since when do people need handlers !!!!

Comment

What Emerald you don't have handlers everyone in power or hoping to be has people who manage their moves, look what happened to Ralph when he lost Rod Love he had the wrong handlers I suspect. Heck even I have handlers who call all the shots with me,mine are 7 and 4 however.

I think that's another reason I wouldn't have much support for manning if he decides to go, one of his "handlers" or supporters is John Schmal, he of the no packing plant in my city when he was an alderman in Calgary fame.

I don't think manning or his handlers would be much good for agriculture in Alberta and thats no good for me.

Comment

Ivebinconned: Well Reform was what I thought was the last kick at the can! And yes it did divert the seperatist movement...no doubt about it.
                          I remember being at the local Reform nomination forum and guess what? All the old boys who had been in the Western Canada Concept were there! The whole thing shifted to Reform! All the executive, all the members!
                          By the time Reform had morphed into the Alliance I was sick of the whole thing.
                          But what are you going to do? I am not a Liberal or NDP supporter...no matter what! I believe in free enterprize and smaller government, and am probably considered a social conservative, although I like to think I am a Libertarian!
                          I am a seperatist but so far that isn't working too well, so you go with the best option available under the present circumstances? If that is Stephen Harper, federally or the PC party in Alberta....then that is my best bet for looking after my interests? By the way I voted Alberta Alliance last provincial election.
                          And yea I guess I am a Manning zealot, mostly because of his father. Probably not rational. Just my opinion.

Comment

I don't think that Preston Manning is in touch with rural Alberta at all. I hope he doesn't let the media hype push him into running.

Comment

Thanks cowman.

Some of Mannings actions in the past were not well publicized because they fit well into the Machiavellian way of doing things. The liberal media has no problem with this, in fact they love it, and so didn't dwell on it.

But as time went on more and more observant people recongnized this and that is why he was turfed. You don't take the time energy and money of the "consevative" reform minded people of western Canada and then bring in the likes of the liberal Rick Anderson to handle your image...and not pay the price.

But he did not learn. In a dispicable juvenile fashion he set out to destroy that which he had helped build. It was a childish replay of that eastern MO of, if we don't run it we will not support it!

Dalton Camp would have been impressed!

At any rate, Stock, or anybody else, could not have withstood the onslaught that was engineered by Mannings people, one of which is our Ag minister. A position that will lead to the demise of Chuck Sraul. Harper is not so dumb.

Ray Speaker, in Winnipeg 1987, describe the process that has been used by Manning from day one. If the people are not, in their thinking, where you are, then you slowly mold and influence them to your way of thinking, and through this process stay outfront leading. It works for a while...but the chickens will come home to roost.

Now when talk of seperation and firewalls are being heard once again, when Alberta's "elephant in the room" wealth is becoming the talk of national interest...here comes Manning to once again lull Albertans into a sense of well being. Issues are being taken care of. Lets get back to work.

A deflection again!

Many will choose to EXCUSE and ignor Mannings past, and will make no attempt, to defend it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...