• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preston for Premier????????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I take it you don't think $28 billion is out of line?
    $10.4 billion on health care. Not sure about education...at one time it was equal to health care but not sure now? If it was...$20.8 billion on education and health care...is that reasonable?
    Now maybe there are a ton of ways you can tweak the systems but the fact is we are spending way to much on these two things! Just my opinion.
    Consider Saskatchewans budget at slightly less than $7 billion? Of course they have approx. 1/3 population of Alberta so shouldn't our budget be $21 billion...for same level of service? Do Sask residents have like a real poor healthcare/education system?
    And finally: Nope no glasses...although I am hoping my arms take on a growth spurt so I'll be able to continue reading the paper! Actually bought some nifty reading glasses at Princess Auto that seem to do the trick...but too "vain" to wear them in public! Doesn't fit the "tough guy" image I have of myself!

Comment

Of course Alberta is going to have a higher budget than Sask., the demands on infrastructure in AB. alone due to the resource activity will dictate a huge chunk of the budget !!

i don't think there should be a free ride in health care cowman, I think that everyone should pay a small fee to see a doctor if they have the ability to do so, what I don't want to see is people on low incomes have to carry some sort of card so they are exempt from paying a fee. That would really be two tier in a regressive manner!!

Comment

But emerald infrastructure is only budgetted $4.3 billion? Not sure what it is in Sask. but surely they spend something? So even with $4.3 billion budgetted doesn't explain the $7 billion extra Alberta spends on a per capita basis?
        Only a very small portion of the budget is spent on infrastructure? Like 15%?
        Of Sasks budget of slightly under $7 billion is spent on health care and education? If they spend as much per capita as Alberta it would be $3.7 billion? If education costs were similar at $3.7 billion they would have a deficit of more than $400 million on just these two items, let alone any other government operations!
        So I would conclude Sask must be spending a lot less on education and health care per capita than Alberta?
        I still ask the question: Do you thing $28 billion is acceptable? Don't forget that $28 billion is YOUR money! Do you believe it is too high...or too low?

Comment

As far as a card...we already carry one and have to present it? Not a big deal to have the info programmed into the medical records? But it is unlikely to happen anyway as I doubt any government has the stomach to implement that one?
          In Alberta we pay a "premium" for healthcare? It is sort of a joke as it brings in about $1 billion...compared to the $10.3 billion cost to the province for healthcare...but what about other areas of the country? Do they pay a premium? I think Ontario does...not sure of the rest?
          If they don't pay a premium is their healthcare program less efficient or available than ours?
          I don't have all the answers to national healthcare, but I would hazard a guess that the system is very costly? If everyone is up to snuff and on an even basis with Alberta at about $11.5 billion(feds kick in another 11%) then would it be reasonable to say 10 X $11.5 billion or $115 billion? Do you think that is too high or too low? Should we be spending more? If so how much?

Comment

cowman, how much of the budget goes to the cost of Government ?

The Premier is still thumping his chest about the 'Third Way' when at least two of the leadership candidates are saying it won't work. I highly doubt if caucus will endorse the concept either as many of the members are already climbing on various leader's band wagons and will not want to make waves lest they aren't considered for cabinet under new leadership.

Comment

Politicians have to get elected without a doubt, and you usually don't get elected by bringing up reality?
              But whoever gets in will have to deal with this mess somewhere down the road? Frankly this whole spending spree can only last as long as the bubble?
              Now this is just my personal feelings but I expect my government to be good fiscal managers, much like any business I have to deal with? I don't believe a $28 billion budget is good mangement? But I guess I am in the minority as every Tom, Dick, and Harry is calling for more spending!
              How long until we pull out the old bumper stickers again..."Please God, let there be another oil boom! I promise not to piss it all away this time!"?
              I would suggest that is exactly what we are doing?

Comment

28 billion may be the correct number cowman, but I do think that there needs to be some reallocation within the budget.

If you speak to one sector of the population they are clamoring for more schools, more teachers etc.
                Another will be asking for more money injected into health care, municipalities are hollering for more money for infrastructure, and yet another group want more seniors supportive housing, so you tell me how the government is supposed to please everyone?

I think the ad hoc spending is the one where they need to rein in. Programs not in the budget should not just be announced by the premier whenever he takes a notion.

Comment

Well when the bubble bursts I guess they are all out of luck? Just like last time?
                  What will happen then? Will we blow up some more hospitals? Close some more schools?
                  Money doesn't grow on trees.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...