• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preston for Premier????????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preston for Premier????????

Simply put NO.
    Nice to muddy the water and boost the ol' ego there Preston but you couldn't get it done federally and you had your day in the sun. What is it with these guys lately?? First Ralph sticks a knife in his own backs with his version of Cretien's long goodbye, and now Manning publicly musing about a run at premiership.
    Why Preston? Harper not willing to put you in the senate?

I agree it is a scary thought. I don't really think he is serious about it, and hopefully he won't get encouraged !!!

Comment

Amen to the scary. Why do so-called retired politicians think that they can parachute in and take over. Do THEY believe that THEY are infallible, and more capable of governing?

Comment

I gather that Preston made an excellent speech at the PC Convention, so maybe a few old boys encouraged him to consider throwing his hat in the ring. Lots of the older delegates were likely supporters of his father and maybe they think he is still a 'kid' !!

Comment

Ezra Lavant was on Global this afternoon singing Preston's praises and saying that if he runs he will be the PREMIER !!!

Comment

Maybe Ezra has some cartoons of Preston ready to go in his next edition. He might be right though Manning has huge brand recognition, the question is do we want a 63 year old career politician running the province. I'd rather have some fresh blood and new ideas.

Comment

I don't care about the age of the person running, 63 isn't actually ancient, but I don't really think we need a recycled federal politician from the Reform party as Premier in a time when we need forward thinking vision etc.
              One thing I do think Preston has is ethics.

We need a leader that can get control of caucus, cut the bureaucracy and make sure that the arrogance and lack of concern with people is gone.

I think that Ralph hasn't really been interested in his job for the past few years, likely since the last election. He didn't look fully engaged in any of the centennial activities and this year he has just been 'along for the ride'

With the growth Alberta is experiencing we need not only a leader but a government that will ensure that growth isn't just a flash in the pan but sustainable for future generations.
              If the PC Party spends their energies on fighting amongst themselves, we will see further Liberals and NDP in opposition next election..

Comment

I saw preston at the butterdome at UofA in '93. Was quite impressed. WOuld be new blood, not to many friends or patronage to take care of if he was leader?? No one else interests me, same old guard, I'm sure no new ideas or vision. I would definitley vote for Preston!! He would run a tight ship and would be a breathe of fresh air.

Comment

nicolaas I am not sure about the breath of fresh air !!!
                  The old Reform party had some good ideas and did some good but it is a real stretch to think that their old recycled leader is going to bring new ideas to Alberta.

The choices so far are:

Dinning representing big business and money
                  Hancock who hasn't a hope in hell of going anywhere

Norris: Fun guy with some backers with deep pockets but hasn't a clue about rural issues

Morton: Extremely smart man, but not well enough known.

Oberg: Will ride on a wave for awhile but I doubt if he can muster support across the province.

Stelmach: All around nice guy, lots of rural support, and if he has a chance he will need people hustling for him in the urban areas.
                  It would be nice if we had a premier that understands rural Alberta and the issues facing agriculture, but as they say nice guys sometimes finish last !!!

Manning: Hasn't said he will run. I doubt if he will seriously consider it unless he is guaranteed to have a team in place hustling for him before he declares his candidacy.

Iris Evans: rumors are that she is being recruited to run. Has no rural background with the exception of a short stint as Municipal Affairs minister. Her committment to the 'third way' will hurt any chance she has if she does throw her hat in the ring. Iris is capable but I doubt that the good old boys are ready for a female premier.

I am still calling Dinning in the lead with Stelmach and Morton tied for second place going into the leadership convention.

We are in for an interesting time in Alberta, and a lot of how it plays out depends on whether Ralph will leave now or hang on until fall. If he decides to stay on until fall, I am afraid that the bickering between candidates camps will overshadow the work that the government needs to get done.

Comment

Maybe in 1993 (13 years ago) I might have supported the then 53 year old Manning, but to say the former head of the national reform party and a lifetime politicain that has never held power to pay back supporters owe's no patronage favors is likely dead wrong.

Emerald I'm basing my opinions on whom I've met and on the few occasions that I could have met Ed Stelmach he choose to be elsewhere so I can't say I have a true opinion of him.
                    Dinning is as smooth a man as I've ever met (maybe too smooth)
                    Oberg is very smart but very high on himself and can be very condescending and rude.
                    I do agree though that right now it's between Dinning and Stelmach. Will Stelmach be able to polorize the rural vote or will it be split between him in the north and Oberg in the south though.

Comment

Well if Preston decides to go for it, I would join the PC party and even contribute a few bucks! An honest man in politics is worth his weight in gold!
                      Of course, once again, I am very biased towards the Manning family due to my up bringing! My great grandfather was a SC MLA under Aberhart. He died before Manning took over but had the utmost respect for the man. My great grandmother worked for SC until she died at 90. Around our house the name "Manning" was right up there beside Jesus Christ!

Comment

Emerald: Maybe old Ralph should have stayed on the bottle? Think about it? He lost interest about the time he got weaned!
                        Don't know much about Stelmach. He seems sort of so-so? Doesn't act like he has a fire in his belly to become leader...just my opinion.
                        However if he is an honest man, who actually has the interests of the people at heart, then he might be a good choice? I have a problem with Dinning...seems to me he is just a wee bit too much of a slicker? A money man...who actually owns him? Often he is given credit as being the man behind the "Klein revolution" but in fact was more of a yes man than a man of action! Love him or hate him West was the guy who did the dirty work?

Comment

cowman, Ed Stelmach is as honest as the day is long and certainly understands the agriculture industry from years of being involved plus being a former minister of AAFRD.
                          Ed gave up his university education to go back and help his dad on the farm when his eldest brother was killed in an accident.
                          He is are community minded man, and his family's strong ethnic background will give him the east central vote for sure.

The Peace Region will support Ed over Oberg, and a lot of the rural vote in central AB may go to Ed as well.

I think Ed has some pretty high profile people in his campaign team, but he has said he would not commence his campaign until the premier decided when he was going to step down.

I know one of Dinning's key campaign organizers, and he is aiming for the big business vote, has shown up at the odd agricultural conference etc., but I am concerned about his money background and whether or not he will value rural Alberta or just give lip service to it during his campaign.
                          I think Oberg won't go anywhere, he would have a better chance of getting more support if the vote was sooner than later because he could capitalize on the events of the past couple of weeks.
                          Norris has some real PR people working his campaign. Danny Hooper is on CFCW this morning as guest DJ and is extolling Norris's virtues over and over. I don't think Norris has a chance either. I still think that Morton will be the king maker when it gets down in the trenches.

Comment

"One thing I do think Preston has is ethics."

This can only be said by ignoring Mannings behind the scenes role in the "stab the back of Stock" process. He is NO team player! It was just months ago that he was starting another "think tank". Maybe no Francis Winsmiers came forward with the bucks.

This can only be said if one does not admit or know of the "build on sand" birth of the Reform movement where imput by "certain" voices where banned from the founding convention!! It was a monumental process of denying reality...more akin to a liberal mentality than that of a principled thinker.

Manning is no democrate, even though he trys to portray himself as a populist. He is more autocratic than most know...that is why Harper parted company with him early on.

With Manning as premier you can count on him folding and conceding to the feds when ever the inevitable raid intensifies. Like Klein he will talk the talk but will never walk the walk.

He will never ever defend Alberta's historical rights in confederation...he is a federalist! In 1987 he knowingly and succesfully DEFLECTED the wests anger and energy down a road that history had shown led to no where. This FACT can not be over stated or ignored.

He has NEVER demonstrated an interest in agriculture or shown sympathy or understanding of it. At the first three conventions, ag workshops where only added at the last minute because of the demands by those attending!!

It would be a colosal mistake...don't be fooled.

Comment

I certainly would not support Manning, however, I honestly don't know which of the candidates will be the best to look after Alberta's interests.
                              Dinning was the guy that encouraged deregulation and that is something I will never forgive him for every time I get my power bill !!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...