• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel prices?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel prices?

It sure is amazing how the old gas stations are fighting over who can raise the prices the fastest? The local Fas Gas dealer doesn't even bother to put the ladder away anymore! I stopped in yesterday afternoon to pick up a super 7 ticket and commented that gas was a little steep today at 94.5? He said Oh I'm just waiting for the call to raise it to 99.5! He seemed to think that was just peachy!
    Now this is all very well but sure can play hell with profits in just about any business? Tough for the truckers tough for contractors tough for farmers? Of course truckers and contractors can raise their prices...not farmers?
    This gas station owner also told me he has heard there is no end in sight? He said he's heard $1.50 might be the peak!

And the increased cost of fuel will no doubt be passed on in an increase in goods and services.

Comment

Tell the truth though Cowman - farmers get the farm fuel rate which is well below what truckers and urban consumers pay. I wouldn't be shouting too loud on this hidden subsidy for fear some Eastern politician doesn't know about it and decides to take it away.

Comment

Well now grassfarmer, basically farmers are excempt from the "road tax" and we all know that fuel is just used for field work and maybe a trip to town to get parts or something? LOL
        But then why shouldn't farmers get a small break on fuel? After all Canadians are getting one hell of a break on cheap food? I think money spent on food has fallen below 10% of income in Canada? How much is spent on food in Europe?

Comment

the oil patch gets an off road break on fuel as well.

I agree with cowman, farmers should get a break or two.

Comment

The coloured fuel price isn't nearly as good as it should be with the prices fluctuating all the time. I know last spring there were a number of times when we were filling the tractors with clear diesel on the way through town because the bulk dealers weren't changing their delivered prices as fast as the stations, we could get clear diesel 2 cents cheaper than we could get coloured diesel in the tank in the yard.

Comment

The cost of food purchased relative to gross earnings has fallen in every developed country Cowman. Consumers now spend less on food than on entertainment which must baffle people from previous generations or the third world. The hidden cost to consumers is the fact that they not only buy the food in the store they also pay for the farmers subsidies through taxation. I don't know of any developed country without subsidised agriculture although there is a variation in levels across the world. The food in Canada may be cheap to consumers given their relative wealth but it is a lot more expensive than it need be given the pittance the producer gets for his goods.

Comment

No argument here on that, grassfarmer! I often marvel at how high that steak or porkchop is in the grocery store considering what the farmer is getting!
                Won't even go to what the return is on a loaf of bread or a bottle of beer!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...