• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hard target

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard target

Hard target
    Cyril Doll - Monday,13 March 2006
    Western Standard

When the federal government announced Feb. 15 it would begin dismantling the unpopular long-gun registry, it was surely welcome relief to 2.3 million Canadian gun owners. Taxpayers should have been elated, too. Ever since the Liberals made the registry law in 1995, its price tag has ballooned from initial projections of $2 million to nearly $2 billion--or more. The day after the announcement, Public Security Minister Stockwell Day hinted that the numbers he's seen are higher than anticipated.

The Tories' determination to eliminate the registry became policy at the party's 2005 convention, and was part of their recent election campaign platform. But their ability to do so may be limited. With a minority government dependent on three opposition parties that have all backed the registry in the past, the odds of passing a law razing it don't look great.

That leaves Prime Minister Stephen Harper with few options. He could try pushing it through in the next budget bill, expected in March--risking a non-confidence vote. Or the cabinet could take a page out of the Liberals' book of tricks and pass order-in-council regulations that would, in effect, whittle down the registry to something less intrusive.

The new government has assembled a committee to oversee changing the registry. It includes Day, MP Garry Breitkreuz, a longtime registry critic, and Justice Minister Vic Toews. Tory insiders say that if the registry can't be scrapped altogether, it could be adjusted to track the 176,000 Canadians with firearm convictions, or the 15,000 applicants who have been denied firearm licenses in the past--rather than keeping files on the 2.3 million law-abiding gun owners currently targeted. The Toronto-based Canadian Shooting Sports Association estimates that such a change could save taxpayers $78 million per year. "Now that we've seized the beachhead and captured the gun, there's absolutely no reason why we can't turn it around," says Tony Bernardo, CSSA's executive director.

Bernardo means the 51 built-in regulations contained in C-68, the registry bill. The Liberals designed the law to give government the power to restrict who can be issued a firearms license, as well as regulate other inconspicuous matters, such as the right to "the keeping and destruction of records" from shooting clubs. "There is no reason that stuff can't be changed without it going back to the House," Bernardo says. "Certainly the Liberals gave the Conservatives all the tools they need to change this." For instance, it costs roughly $90 million a year to operate the registry. In 2002, more than $500 million was spent on fixing computer errors and paying staff to process registration forms, according to the auditor general's report. An order-in-council that eliminated background checks for all gun owners, restricting them instead to those owners with criminal records, could slash costs.

There are limits on how much the new government can do to make life easier for law-abiding gun owners. Currently, police have the right to search the homes of owners of more than 10 firearms. Since that provision was written directly into the law, the Tories can't alter it without going to Parliament. The same goes for changing the varieties of firearms that were made illegal by the Liberal government. "We realize as gun owners we can't be saying get rid of the firearms act, we have to be--and I hate the word pro-active--but we have to offer something in its place," says Ed Hudson, secretary of the Saskatoon-based Canadian Unregistered Firearms Owners Association, a group that has fought the registry for years.

There's a small chance Opposition MPs could be persuaded to back more significant reforms. On Feb. 20, Bloc House leader Michel Gauthier said his party would keep the Conservatives in power for a "good while" as they dismantled Liberal-built centralization policies. And the spate of gun violence in recent years bolsters the Tory case that registries can't stop criminals shooting people. Canada has had a handgun registry in place since 1974, but, according to Statistics Canada, 66 per cent of homicides in 2002 were committed with handguns, compared to 27 per cent in 1974.

Getting parliamentary support for a Tory campaign promise to redirect money away from the gun registry to more law enforcement, especially if it's directed at the provinces, might tempt the Bloc, provided it didn't include a wholesale dismantling of the program--something leader Gilles Duceppe has opposed in the past. Otherwise, the Tories--facing a choice between coming up lame on promises to reform gun laws, and breaking a commitment to democratic reform by employing Liberal-style order-in-council end-runs--could find the registry issue results in a much greater cost than they anticipated.

I find it interesting that once the Conservatives got in, they suddenly became impotent? Not just on things like the gun registry, but on CAIS, CWB etc.?
    Now without a doubt they face a tough situation and without a doubt they haven't had much time, but they need to realize they need to deliver! Deliver the promises to the rural vote that got them there?
    Instead we get Strahl saying he can't do anything about the CWB or CAIS because his hands are tied and he needs to focus on the WTO! For what? The WTO thing is going to be a flop and everyone pretty well agrees on that!
    Tommorrow he could change how the CWB operates...with no legislation or orders in council or any of that BS! Just direct the staff to issue export permits with no buyback?
    CAIS is generally hated in the agriculture community? First and foremost it doesn't work and it is unlikely it ever will? A good portion of farmers have just decided it is just another government boondoggle and have just opted out and their eyes glass over when they hear "CAIS"?
    I'm not sure what planet Strahl is on if he doesn't realize the crisis that is happening on Canadian farms right now? Who is he listening to? Do you think it might have been helpful if Harper had actually put in an ag minister who had grown a crop or chased a cow once or twice in his life?
    When you make a promise to scrap the gun registry...then you need to do it? How you do it doesn't really matter, but results do matter? How about starving the registry into non existence? Just cut the funding and watch the rats desert the ship?

Comment

cowman, do you think that perhaps the Conservatives want to test the waters once Parliament is in session. It sounds like the Liberals aren't going to support anything, but maybe they can get support from the Bloc and NDP for changes.
      It sounds like they are even going to have trouble getting their proposed changes to the crinimal code passed, so Lord knows what support they would get for the gun registry changes and help for Agriculture.

Comment

cowman, you had better be careful you could get chastised for expecting too much from Harper. I agree with you whole heartedly so for sure you are going to hear about it. Keep up the good work it takes a man of conviction to criticize the political party that he supports.

Comment

Barry Wilson`s comments in the last `Seducer` are significant......

Comment

carebear...I suspect that was a side swipe at me. If you have been paying attention you would notice that I have posted several articals critical of the conservatives and have been critical a few times in my own words too!

I say "conservatives" not "government" because in Canada a minority really is not a government!

You and others would just love to see them pretend that they have a majority and have them fall on their sword.

Comment

cropduster: In reading Wilsons column I get the sense, reading between the lines, that Chuck Strahl is trying to be "everything to everyone" while actually doing nothing! He's going to represent and protect everyone? He's going to stand up for the single desk monopoly...while in the next breath he says "Oh, we'll end the single desk somewhere down the line"?
              I realize the government has to do a tap dance around these issues if they are to lure enough voters somewhere down the line to form a majority? But I think they are making a mistake if they think they can count on the vote that got them where they are...if they don't keep their promises? It is all fine and dandy to hope you can woo some more Frenchmen in, but at what cost? Are they so confident the old Saskatchewan or Ontario farmer is in their pocket, forever? If they don't accomplish anything will they get the rural vote next time? What happens if next time around some "NEW Liberal party" promises the world? What can they say? Would it be "Well we didn't deliver anything, but we will next time if you vote for us... again?"....I doubt Canadian farmers are that dumb?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...