• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Largest Farm Auction in Saskatchewan

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Largest Farm Auction in Saskatchewan

Today I attended the Stockholm auction for 83 quarters of land.
    Its finally sinking in that maybe farming really is finished in Western Canada.
    The land for $3,500,000.00 would have got you 13280 Acres of grain land with buildings etc.
    The big bins 75,000 bushel x 6 started at $32,000.00 then dropped off to $20,000.00
    The equipment first 10 trucks were bought by internet then the highway tractors sold highest 15,000.
    The construction equipment had some life but not much.
    Big equipment I left before it really finished.
    Most farmers were their to Visit and see.
    Home quarter had two pole sheds 240 x 60 x 18 and 120 x 60 x 16 both build in last two years. Total land and buildings $140,000.00 he paid 210,000 for the buildings two years ago.
    The great liberal experiment is finally done and farmers have lost.
    Thanks
    Lyle

There's a small one here tomorrow. Machinery so far this year is going for less than half of what it did last spring and that was no great hell.

Comment

I was shocked by the equipment even the Americans were cautious and so were the hutterites. Locals just sat and talked and others drove hours to attend or just see what was happening.
      Has my equipment just dropped by 1/2 price. the land sure looks like it is heading their.
      Also the Albertans and Foreigners who moved here are starting to think maybe its tougher to farm here than they first believed.
      And Richie Bros wont be giving a guarantee on sales any more.

Comment

Was the land picked up by locals. Anyone buying big parcels of it?

Comment

One Albertan bought 20 of the quarters the rest was bought by locals.
          Lets hope this one either sends his son to farm out here or moves him self.

Comment

Just curious if anyone knows what the owner paid for this land campared to what he got at the sale. I heard that he had bought some of it quite cheap in the last few years.

I was at an aution yesterday of a well known farmer with good equipment. I think he got good value out of everything, except maybe his swather and combine.

Comment

My neighbor in City farmed north of Gillen and he paid good money for the land OK in this area good money around 40,000 a quarter average to more he got 40 plus on some but a low of 9000 on last few.
              Where he got creamed is on the buildings.
              Two sheds cost 240000 to build talked to the builder and we have one like his. The big five bins were 32000 down to 20000 for last. $130,000 cost to build with cement air etc. They were nice but would have cost over 300,000.
              On the grand scheme he lost and if Richie Bros gave him a price they lost.
              Oh Got of love it when a Speculator gets It in the end. Sorry these guys come in and think they are way smarter than us and then when they screw up its not their fault.
              If this is sales of the Future its bad.

Comment

actually i think the big land buyer bought 30 quarters and you'll see a lot of four-legged combines harvesting future crops.

Comment

Apparently farming isn't that bad yet or the results would have been way worse than that. It still isn't bad enough for the banks to be taking a big hit and until that happens the government will remain indifferent to problems facing us remaining farmers. So much for the idea with a westerner as prime minister that agriculture would actually become important in this country.

Comment

Your so generous carebear...50 days and you expect Harper to turn around years and years and years of neglect.

He may fail us and history shows that he likly will, but not one will take your comments seriously this early in the game ...and with a minority at that.

Oh...there are a couple, I know that will.....

Comment

Yea but yesterday at the sale the rep for Richie bros that I know said the Albertan bought 20 so what and yes he will put cows on it.

Comment

this is just another indication that things in sask must and will change. if you look at the outside investment coming in it gives some idea of what's coming. this province has resisted change for so long the elastic band has been stretched pretty tight and when it lets go (maybe it is doing that now) the reaction won't be pleasant in some instances. might as well get on with it and the only thing you can do is try to assess the risk and deal with it.

Comment

ARe you just stupid out side investment comming in out of the 83 quarters locals bought most of them.
                          One Cowboy with oil money bought a few.
                          But letting the Americans in to buy our land and then go work for them your missing something. Subsidised to the ying yang and nothing available to canadians its good to let these people in to buy out hard working canadians and give it to them at bargin prices and then go work for them.
                          Your out to lunch.

Comment

Yes all this is fine but don't think farmers in Saskatchewan are not good manages as compared with Manitoba or Alberta. Actually their probably better at handling disasters. We had a frost in 2004 that spring the NDP changed crop insurance and came out with 56 dollar coverage for almost 10 dollar cost made the city guy happy then it froze and their grade factors were way out to lunch durum it was 70 % so if you grew 40 feed or 5 durum they said it was 28 and you received nothing from insurance but then sold it for $1.40 a bushel
                            They took Grip away from us as soon as they were elected, property taxes on farm land are mostly for schools in the city, they don't tell you if their covering CASIP to 70 % till a year later.
                            It just goes on and on so when a new Canadian or Albertan moves here and a disaster hits he learns really fast and no one likes to admit they made a mistake.

Comment

not talking about americans. am hearing about alberta money coming into more sectors of the economy than just agriculture. don't get into the delusion that agriculture alone can power sask. it hasn't worked for the last sixty years has it? not out to lunch. moved here from alberta and am able to observe from the perspective of an outsider. grain farming has lots bigger problems than land taxes or the loss of the crow. you've nailed it down in other posts about chem and fert pricing and the concentration of ownership in grain handling. albertans move here to grain farm not realizing that the problems of farming in alberta aren't just land prices but the whole grain farming economy is screwed with concentration of ownership AND profits. just took us a couple of years to realize that even in a bse cattle economy we were better off with cattle than a normal grain economy. heard the other day that the biodiesel works if canola is priced at $5.50. what's second prize???

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...