• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strahl: Nothing for Farmers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heard an interestingly honest presentation from an OMAF assistant deputy minister today about his experiences and perspectives from the can/prov meeting. Mostly backed up what most would probably already suspect, but never thought we'd hear from a civil servant.
    Suggested fairly strongly that CAIS was designed not with the farmer in mind but to further the cause of NAFTA and WTO in regards to globalization of agriculture. Also suggested very strongly that the move on ag policy is that if farmers can't make it on CAIS and CAIS alone, farmers should find something else to do and the federal and provincial governments will soon be (if they aren't already) perfectly willing to let Canadians buy their food wherever it's cheapest, regardless of any kind of standards. Apparently the feds were very clear that they haven't heard ANY dissent about CAIS from western farm groups. He also emphasized repeatedly the recent report from CAPI suggesting that any future ag policy be designed only for the upper 50% of farms in Canada and that this is getting a lot of play in policy circles.

Also separately heard that the feds are having a lot of problem with developing policy, all their policy people are firmly based in the west and they're having a hard time convincing anybody to uproot their families to move to Ottawa with an uncertain minority. End result is that many of the ministers haven't even been briefed about their portfolios yet! For example, Strahl hadn't been briefed on Kyoto or any of the ag environmental subjects as of about 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Supposed to be 150 tractors at Queen's Park for the budget announcement tomorrow, and we're going to Ottawa April 5. Apparently there are also supposed to be events being organized in the west on that day, and a number of farmers from Quebec coming to Ottawa to back us up.

Comment

Steve Webster is still living in his car at Queen's Park. He's been there for two weeks now sleeping in his 91 Buick, getting press now from around the world and living mostly on canned beans and apples. The pressure is getting to the gov't now, first they had two police officers roust him in the middle of the night to tell him he couldn't park in the public parking anymore, refusing to give their badge #s or names, so both NDP leader Howard Hampton and PC MPP Toby Barrett offered him their parking spots for the duration. He's parked in Hampton's last I heard. Then just as he was supposed to receive a call back to connect him to a rally he was supposed to speak to someone at a high position in either the gov't or police had Telus change his cell phone number without his knowledge so no one could contact him until he figured out what was going on. He's still there, still perfectly peaceful with security officers monitoring him 24 hours a day, hiding in the bushes taking pictures of anyone he speaks to, and with tractors circling the block all day to back him up.
        Anyone wanting to donate to Steve's cell phone bill or to keep him fed (and warm in his car at night) can get donation information and news updates at www.hcfa.on.ca

Comment

Snowmobilers supporting farm protests in Toronto: This is what happens when you "offer" to close the trails to pressure government.

"The North Huron Trail Groomers are floating their groomer to the farm rally at Queen’s Park tomorrow in a show of support for their landowners.

I have attached a press release that outlines this initiative. It has gone out to the local radio and tv stations, as well as newspapers in Clinton, Goderich, Blyth, and Wingham. If you would like to forward this to your local newspaper, please feel free to do so.

Kudos to Don Hardy, Simon Vandriel (who is donating the truck to float the groomer to Toronto) and the rest of the North Huron gang for continuing to hang in there after a tremendous season (I am starting to refer to is as “the season that never really was” ). They have a tremendous morale and, through it all, are continuing to look for POSITIVE & PROACTIVE ways to support their landowners. Good job, guys!

K.

Karen Buratynski

Operations Director & Administrator

OFSC District 9

toll free: 1-800-387-7669

fax: 519-986-4051

www.ofscdistrict9.ca"

Comment

I totally agree the sask gov is happy when a farmer is done one less person to not vote for them.
            they will leave for alberta and thats happening every day.

Comment

Well I see Chuck Strahl is going to be addressing the farmers at Yorkton, Sask. soon? I would hope he gets an earful and it just isn't a handpicked crowd of lapdogs waiting to lick the hand of their master?
              I think the Conservatives are making a big mistake here if they ignore the farmer and the crisis situation he is in today? If they don't deliver(and never mind this minority BS!) where does that leave the western grain farmer, or for that matter all Canadian farmers? How do you have faith in any political party no matter what they promise?
              Now without a doubt Harper has a balancing act on his hands that is difficult to say the least? But bottom line he has got to keep his basic promises to the people who got him to where he is...rural Ontario and western Canada?
              If he fails, where does the western Canadian farmer go? Back to the liberals? Over to the goofy NDP who we know are a disaster in the waiting? Or does he start to finally say "Hey I can't win in this game! Everything is stacked against me and I will never win?" Will that be an "AHA" moment and the slow realization that it is time to consider leaving this joke of a country?
              I will add a quick disclaimer: I am a western seperatist and have been all my life. I do not believe this country will ever work no matter which party is running the show.

Comment

""But bottom line he has got to keep his basic promises to the people who got him to where he is...""

That is the rub, they didn't get far enough. And in the mathimatical reality of CON-federation he maybe never will.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...