• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strahl: Nothing for Farmers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strahl: Nothing for Farmers

Strahl: "Nothing for Farmers"
    "I'm sure that if the feds trot out some cash, the provinces won't mind - but that's not in the cards," Strahl said.
    The Woodstock Sentinel-Review
    By Hugo Rodrigues - AGRICULTURE REPORTER
    Tuesday March 21, 2006

The federal agriculture minister admitted Monday that despite his party's campaign promise, Canada's main agricultural support program won't be cancelled.

Speaking to reporters via teleconference at the conclusion of a federal-provincial agriculture ministers' meeting held in Harrison Hot Springs, B.C., Minister of Agriculture and Agri-food Chuck Strahl said the Canadian Agricultural Income Stabilization (CAIS) program won't be scrapped.

"CAIS will continue into the 2006 crop year," Strahl said in his opening comments. Ministers did discuss a series of changes to the program, but Strahl later confirmed in questioning the program will continue.

"The message I'm getting from the provinces is they are very reluctant to replace CAIS," Strahl said. "So the wording we agreed to was to transform CAIS… the provinces were quite adamant and they made the strong case for CAIS."

It's a deviation from the Conservative Party of Canada's promise, which clearly said the infamous program would be replaced. The pledge, made by Stephen Harper during a campaign stop in southwestern Ontario, was a key part of the Conservative platform.

Some farmers have long criticized the program's inability to respond quickly to declining incomes and also note the program does not respond well to trade injury. Record low commodity prices, particularly amongst grains and oilseeds, have not been adequately addressed within the existing program.

The program has also faced significant delays in processing applications - particularly in this province - with some farmers still receiving correspondence and payments from their 2004 applications.

"I'm of an open mind in terms of what we end up with, but the provinces are very keen that we not throw the baby out with the bathwater," Strahl said. "It will be part of some very quick discussions of transformation we will have over the summer months."

Strahl's counterpart in Alberta, Doug Horner, repeated his comments, saying the provinces were unanimous in their support for the program.

The agricultural industry needs stability, Horner said, and the provinces see the potential in changing the existing CAIS program to address its failings.

Strahl rounded out his comments on the program by stressing that CAIS will remain in place for the 2006 crop year and urged those farmers who haven't yet joined the program to do so. For those who already participate, he urged them to file their application as they have done since the program started in 2003.

The Conservatives also promised during the campaign to increase federal spending on agriculture by $500 million a year, something Strahl said would start taking shape when the new government brings down a budget this spring.

For the time being however, he said there would be nothing else for farmers other than the $755 million Grains and Oilseeds Payment Program announced by the Liberal government.

"I'm sure that if the feds trot out some cash, the provinces won't mind - but that's not in the cards," Strahl said.

Anybody else vote Conservative in this last election that feels the need to call their MP?

I email my mp on a regular basis without any reply or acknowledgement whatsoever. So much for voting conservative and thinking they would be any difference than Van Deaf was. Farming is just not a priority with any of the parties except at election time.

Comment

Strahl was very influenced by Manning who repeatedly would ignor agriculture at the reform conventions untill the howl would rise to audable levels and then they would have a cave and call for a six AM session...which was always well well intended.

Strahl will be influence by those voices that think that canada...parden me...WESTERN CANADA, should lead the world in a subsidy free or nil subsidy ag sector!

My land values are now below 1980 levels and I suspect them to go even lower.

Comment

this is my first communication through this forum. I have enjoyed reading the daily discussions that occur here, some very good ideas come out of these discussions. I operate a mixed farm in saskatchewan and have supported the quest to replace the corruption in Ottawa for a long time, but I have to say that hearing Mr. Strahl's reply or I should say lack of reply to the farm situation, is about the biggest stab in the back we could have had out here. It was my understanding that the conservatives not only did a good job of highlighting and expressing the weaknesses of the liberal actions in regards to the farmily farm situation, but I also thought they the conservatives would have some answers should they become our government, what a complete lie we were told. Cais was to be scrapped, we were told that there would be new optimism for this spring to put our crops in, what a joke.

For all you people who submited your stories and positions through this forum aren't you guys tired of just rehashing different specific issues but an overall same old bottom line which is we in rural areas were getting screwed by those we didn't vote for and now by those we do vote for. Isn't it time we all stood up for ourselves and each other. I've never before been active politically but this betrayal has been an awakening for many people including myself. Even though we may be down we still hold much more power in our industry than we realize. Governments want us to think we can't do anything but really we can if we just get serious and off our backsides we could get alot done.

Comment

I understand the sentiment and this is not an attemp to defend this government but...this government is largly just ceremonial. One should not expect much from it.

We might see a different set of ministers on our TV screens but thats about it.

Canadian minority government history demonstrates that the life of minorities are short and very nervous in their duration.

Harper is playing his cards very close to the chest and I suspect every decision is made with the next election in mind. Untill we see them in majority, I atleast, will give them a pass.

I do not think we will have long to wait. The guys running the conservative party are a shrewd bunch and won't be curtious to the liberals, and wait for them to be ready.

Comment

I can see your point that due to the minority situation there are political games that will be played to obtain a majority. I think however that due to the absolute dire situation many farmers won't be able to hold on much longer, definately not if a crop can't be put in, and therefore waiting for a majority won't do much for many. I think it would be a huge mistake for anyone to take for granted the western rural support in the next election. In our area it's all about survival right now so either we get something concrete now or don't expect support of some promises later. To me it's a bit offensive that under the current situation political games come before the survival of our industry and ultimately our communities. Isn't that one of the reasons we wanted a change?

Comment

I have voted strategically all my life, OK never NDP but I am from Saskatchewan and we in the rural have been trying to crush them for a long time one day that dream will happen.
              Any way I digress I am not impressed with Chuck strahl, what the hell is he thinking this sounds like the Liberals lets wait a while and talk some more.
              We have been talking for 10 years or more and lost some 15000 farmers. now I feel we will loose some really good farmers and that's a sad fact.
              Is the problem the provinces because Dear Old Saskatchewan NDP is a problem trust me. Or is it the Liberals were spending money so foolishly that their is nothing left?

Comment

I can't say that this is surprising at all - in fact - more than just a little of what Harper said they would do, they have already backtracked on. Even the CWB, if I recall, it was to scrap it now it is just to revamp it so that it would give more choice. Okay - nothing new there - producers in the West have been asking for that for a very long time now. Also, that they would have to do extensive consultation at the various global negotiations before they could do anything about the CWB.

Kyoto - same thing - may not be able to do as much as we wanted.

They bring over Emerson to help, but I ask what is the point in having someone sell our softwood so that we can buy it back in value-added form and pay a whole lot more for it?

Yes, this government is primarily ceremonial and some are going to not hold any feet to the fire because any alternative to the Liberals is an okay government. Harper cannot play it too close to the chest because he may not ever get a second chance at this. Remember, he is in there because people wanted an alternative to the Liberals, not because they necessarily wanted the Conservatives especially in those Eastern areas.

Also bear in mind that any of the big 5 campaign promises didn't do too much in terms of improving Canada's global position. Political posturing yes, impact will be minimal.

So far, there hasn't been too much to indicate that there is much change at all. It will be interesting to see just how long Harper's edict about everything going through the PMO's office will last. Didn't a fellow by the name of Mulrooney try it and not have it work so well?

Comment

Just gave my mp Mr. Lukwiski another email, not likely to ever be read by my highly educated and unavailable and strangely invisible representative but at least I tried. I thought people were elected to represent the interests of their constituents. I guess maybe just the important ones, those that live in the cities. If they doubt what will happen here, just look at Afghanistan,used to be highly productive agricultural type based economy but there the farmers were forced to change to make a living, now they either grow poppies or fight as mercenaries. I am too old and slow to be paid to fight so will have to learn how to grow poppies or maybe that wacky tabacky or maybe convert my valuable feed grains into moonshine whiskey, Have to do something to increase cash flow to satisfy those bankers. It should satisfy the government officials as well since I am diversifying into a commodity that is value added and very expensive.

Comment

Disappointed with Strahls comments regarding CAIS and in general the lack of action on the agricultural front?
                    One thing needs to be said though? Harper never promised to scrap the CWB. I believe he said farmers need a choice on how to market their wheat and barley...in other words a dual market instead of the single desk? I never heard him ever say he was going to scrap the CWB?
                    Now I believe they are pretty slow off the mark on this one and could have started issuing export permits with no buy back right away?
                    Quite frankly it was the rural areas of the west and Ontario that took Mr. Harper to the dance! He needs to pay some attention to us instead of flirting with the girls who are coy! He needs to deliver?

Comment

Whats up with his comment the Provinces Support CASIP.
                      In Saskatchewan it doesn't work,
                      In Alberta it doesn't Work
                      In Manitoba it doesn't work.
                      In Ontario it doesn't work.
                      Oh yea in BC it does with apples and strawberries and in Quebec they take the money and do what they want and in Ontario the wineries love it.
                      Well were going to loose this one again.
                      will the misery ever end.

Comment

I wonder if the provinces support it because it doesn't cost them much? I presume this is the old Provincial/federal split, where the Provinces throw in 40% and the feds 60%?
                        Would sure look attractive to a premier who didn't want to spend much money down on the farm?...and let the feds take most of the heat?
                        I'm not sure where Chuck Strahls head is at right now? Doesn't he realize there is a crisis in the grain industry right now? Is he insulated from the real world by the beurocrats?
                        What has changed since January 23? Anything?

Comment

My biggest fear is that the Bureaucrats from Ottawa have gotten to him and he believes they know whats best for Canadian farmers.
                          My god I work with these Idiots every day and trust me they don't have Canadian farmers in mind. They have their Jobs and that's it.
                          They think were all uneducated winners that should try other crops like trees and make a go of it.
                          etc.
                          Its just plain frustrating, and no one seems to care, now not even the Conservatives,
                          I predict today this government will not last One Year.

Comment

I can't speak for Manitoba or Alberta but here in Saskatchewan the present government is terrified that cais may be replaced with a good program that may actually require a significant commitment financially on their part. Our provincial gov. knows the program isn't working for farm families but that suits them fine since those that loose their farms or simply quit aren't staying around, most are gone to Alberta. When they leave it's one less family not voting for them next election. Less rural population means less rural ridings and there you have it, self preservation on their part.

The second part to this is that they know where the money from Cais is going, for the most part it's going to the SWP hog ventures and other mega hog ventures that our gov here has sunk so much money in grants. Without the cais money these mega ventures would have been broke ten times over and would have made spudco look trivial. Again by supporting the large hog ventures they pushed out family size farm ventures therefore the rural depopulation plan continues.

I think the feds need to realize that
                            they were put in power by the rural people and not the provincial governments who have their own agendas that are quite different than what rural people and many urban people actually want also. Many urban people who actually find out where the money is going are appalled because many do believe in support for family farms and not swp etc.

The sk. prov. gov. also likes cais because it resembles sask. crop insurance to a t. Lots of bueraucracy for a program that doesn't work. Good union gov. jobs with little attention to the people they are supposed to serve. Mind boggling to have 2 programs niether working, yet 2 huge administrations and if you get crop insurance payment it's deducted off of any possible cais payment. Talk about waste of money!!!! If urbanites were ever explained that this is our system many of them would be as upset as we are.

Comment

Before we all cast to much blame on Harper and put words in his mouth...I repeat, this administration is ceremonial with Jack Chow,and the other leaders playing a big but not as obvious role in the decision making process!!

--------------------------------------
                              "Mulroney won the West with Free Trade, and Quebec with Meech. What he hoped was that no matter how much the West, particularly Alberta, despised Meech and what would today be called asymmetrical federalism, it would go along. The trick to governing Canada, he believed, was to keep Quebec happy, Ontario satisfied and the West just a few degrees below simmering. Quebec wanted what it wanted, Ontario wanted to know that the nation's affairs were being looked to, lest crisis disrupt the economic engine of the Golden Horseshoe, and West could be left with crumbs because they had no where else to turn. This is a strategy inherent in all political coalitions: You betray your base so you can reach out to a swing grouping. The hope is that your base doesn't walk away. Mulroney calculated that the West wouldn't walk. He was wrong.""
                              --------------------------------------

I will stay on board to see if they can win a majority...in the event they don't...I and I know cowman, will be the first to walk!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...