• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salute TO Farmers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salute TO Farmers

I see an article in the paper there was 17 deaths on the farm last yr and 1300 wounded. Now if any other profesion had that kind of record just think of all the health and safety people that would be running around trying to fix the work place but we are just farmers and dont count for squat.
    And the worst is we put up with this and I feel the reason is there is not enough money to put safety as a prority , the need to get the job done.

Thats just for Alta

Comment

Similar to being in Afghanistan and likely about the same chance of injury. Just kidding of course.

Comment

I don't know Horse...do you really want the safety boys running around after you? Maybe they could limit the hours worked, like the trucking industry or something?
        Heres a little tidbit about how government regulation just doesn't work.
        Several years ago the government in all its wisdom decided there was to many injuries in the oil patch and decided drug testing was the way to go? Worked real good: They closed off the lease and every body peed in the bottle! Only one problem...the industry couldn't get any wells drilled because so many guys were going down the road! But eventually things got better...I assumed because the oil workers had cleaned up their act?
        Was talking to my consultant buddy before Christmas and asked him if he had any problems with drug testing? He said oh no the times have changed. Now OHS gives the company one weeks warning before they come onto a lease. The company has a crate of stuff for the boys to take to pass the test if they are "iffy" and the ones who know they'll fail get a day off on test day! We haven't had a failure for years!
        Now that isn't to say the oil industry hasn't cleaned up their act in a big way and some of the more blatant stuff is definitely gone. The days of a crew sitting in the bar all day before going on shift is gone and a not a lot of drinking or smoking dope on the lease anymore?
        However boys will be boys? The workers are usually younger, they're making big bucks and are far from home and they like to play when they can! Had a water truck driver hauling water from my place who was ripped all the time? He never even tried to hide it...smoked a joint right in front of me and even offered me a hit! I asked him aren't you afraid you'll get a drug test? He said nope, I'm a private contractor and I don't have to pee in the bottle!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...