• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabinet

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabinet

Who is willing to appempt to put on paper which MP's from Alberta will make cabinet ?

Here goes my best guess:

Rona Ambrose
    Jim Prentice
    Monty Solberg

Any more from Alberta would likely get Harper on hot water in the east. He will have to put several from Quebec in cabinet to get on good footing there.
    CBC is guessing that Jason Kenney will go to cabinet but I think he has been too much of a watchdog so may not be suitable for any portfolio but what do I know.

Peter MacKay may get Justice but I doubt if he will be Deputy Prime Minister, that will likely go to Quebec.
    My bet for Ag Minister is the fellow from North Battleford. I think they will put a westerner in that porfolio, someone that knows both the livestock and grain industry, and I don't really see anyone from Alberta fitting that description.

Will eat crow later when all my predictions are wrong !!

up to early and can't spell...the word should be attempt !!!!

Comment

I think Dianne Finley will be the ag minister? She was the ag critic and a giant killer when she beat out Speller in 2004? I think Harper definitely has to recognize the Ontario rural vote?
      The thing to remember that while cabinet seats are important there are also a lot of other places Harper can reward his Alberta MPs? The PMO, the privy council, various committee heads and deputy ministers? If he intends to establish the Conservative party as a national party it is necessary to reward some of these new areas that voted for him?
      Who do you think the new ambassador to the USA should be?...long shot...how about Mulrooney?

Comment

Rumor mill has Preston Manning as Ambassador.
        cowman all Deputy Ministers provincially are non elected beaurocrats, if that is the case federally then no MP's would be deputies with the exception of Deputy PM.
        The critics were there for a purpose but the role of cabinet minister is somewhat different than that of a critic.
        My MP was deputy health critic and he will likely get some role in the health ministry but won't make cabinet .

The list from Alberta is very long because of the history with the Reform and Alliance. Rona Ambrose is really being touted as ministerial material but I don't know enough about her to really say whether she is capable or not.
        I am sure that the rural Ontario vote will be recognized when cabinet is appointed, and the lack of cabinet members from the three major cities is going to be an issue.
        Laurie Hawn might get some plum role for knocking off Annie but he sure isn't cabinet material . Far too rough around the edges, something like Myron !
        One thing that is sure to happen is the media having a love affair with Laureen Harper and of course wanting to have every opportunity to photograph the Harper kids. I think that won't go over too well because I am sure that Harper is a genuinely committed family man and isn't going to allow his children to be exploited in the media.

I find Laureen Harper a very refreshing change from the last two 'first ladies'. She is down to earth and very gregarious, not the least bit shy.

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised to see the NDP offered a city-based cabinet post just to get around the lack of MPs in the big cities. Even Harper wouldn't give the Bloc a ministerial position... would he?

Comment

Lord I hope not! There are supposedly some good people in Quebec?
            There are also some good people in Ontario? In fact didn't the Conservatives elect close to 40 people in Ontario? Mostly from the rural ridings? Surely there are some good experienced people who can promote the principals that most rural fiscally responsible people desire?
            Quite frankly this is about the last kick at the can? If this doesn't work...Canada is history?

Comment

I am sure that many of the MP's have had a city background. I doubt that Harper will delve into any other party to form cabinet. If Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver didn't want to take a chance on the Conservatives then I guess they live without a voice in cabinet. I am sure that Harper will ensure they are treated equal with the rest of the country even if they don't have cabinet representation.
              Jack Layton may have supporters in Toronto but he sure as hell doesn't have any MP's in Alberta so it is doubtful if an NDP minister would be selected to represent larger cities.
              I hope that Layton decides to work with the government for the good of the country and not use his little moment in the sun to cozy up to the Liberals again.
              Duceppe is going to have to go along with anything that is good for Quebec or he will get the boot next time around.

Comment

Would Jack layton even want one of his MPs in cabinet?
                I do believe there is a general desire among all parties to ferret out the thieves and put a system in place where nobody can rip the system off again? They can probably all work on that...well except for the Liberals!
                It is very doubtful this parliment will fall anytime soon...at least until the Liberals get a new leader, so there can be some meaningful progress made on a lot of problems?
                Harper can achieve a lot of the things we desire in this parliment. Like getting rid of the single desk, scrapping the gun registry, reducing the GST, having a better relationship with the Bush administration and finally bringing the thieves to justice?

Comment

Harper is going to need to ensure that his cabinet members are the cream of the crop with no chance of any of them getting themselves or government into trouble.
                  I sense that things will progress, maybe some rough waters but I am sure that all candidates heard how fed up people are with government, crooked government in particular and also having elections far too often.

Comment

Just because the liberals are leaderless doesn't mean we will not have an election before the year is done...remember Bob Rae!!!

Comment

Well they are also pretty broke? It is sort of funny how McKenna, Manley and now Tobin are all backing away from the table? Instead we get Stronach, Brison, Ignatieff? Wow! That is a reassuring bunch?

Comment

Scarey!!!!!!!!! is what I would call it. What is the country coming to or should I say going to? Just my opinion mind you.

Comment

I have a hunch that the Liberals will put a no-nome leader in place and let them be responsible for cleaning up the party, and them have a leadership review after they have most of the grime wiped of and can have a scrubbed new look.

Comment

That will take alot of bleach!!

Was watching on cpac a bunch of lieberal cabinet ministers coming out of their last meeting, most of them ranted on (giving examples)about all the wonderful things they had done for the country.

To me this shows that they are incapable of learning anything. By citing a list of what they percive as great accoplishments they actually are telling us how dumb they believe the Canadain voters are that did't vote for them.

Arrogance dies hard.

Comment

I watched that as well, and it seemed that they wanted to plant the seeds of doubt about the longevity of the new government.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...