• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cornering the beast

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cornering the beast

Posted: Peter O'Donnell @ 01/ 09/ 06 2:50 pm
    Cornering the beast

Going into tonight's debate, I have this vision of the campaign situation -- the lion has cornered the wounded beast, and the jackals are prowling around the edges of the clearing, looking for scraps.

Or perhaps if you want to add a human element, the mighty battleship is surrounded, billowing fire and smoke, and firing all of its ammunition while all hands on deck scramble around looking for the lifeboats.

If Canada has any integrity whatsoever, the voters would know by now that the national future depends on a Conservative victory, and these debates would be little more than curiosities. And perhaps it is so, because there is much talk across the land of a change in government, with some going so far as to speculate that the Conservatives are moving towards the levels of majority government.

Nevertheless, the media and the partisan talking heads (especially those employed by the Liberals) will be out in force, trying to establish expectations in advance, then spinning any minor developments of the debates into major sagas, the stuff of legends and the paintings they hang in the many corridors of power in Ottawa. Chief among these, I would wager, will be the vision of Paul Martin, visionary leader, elder statesman, saviour of national unity.

The fact that this sort of spin has now landed right next to the desk of the state's official satirists and comics tells me that Paul Martin's career in politics is on life support. He has painted himself into a corner -- the under-achiever who believes himself to be indispensable. He has tied himself to a vision of Canada which is more or less our official state ideology -- the utopian state of harmony and smiling faces. The biggest smiles, of course, have been those who got to the trough while there was still something in it. And he has chosen to campaign against ghosts, vapours and half-forgotten memories -- I'm waiting for him to come out swinging against Genghis Khan before this is all done.

Now, the fact that the New Democrats have finally "got it" after lo these many years, and have begun to take their first baby steps towards full independence from the mother Liberals, reveals that some higher principle is at work here -- the Liberal ideology is wounded, and the beast is cornered. We should not expect that it will surrender gracefully, or without considerable fury. There is that sense of entitlement to be finally destroyed, taken away from the proud animal which imagines itself to be the lord of the jungle in the long absence of lions or tigers.

The debate will probably follow that kind of script. Stephen Harper will be trying to seem reasonable, non-threatening, conciliatory, open to change, and able to make significant overtures to the disenchanted people of Quebec and western Canada without rattling Ontario's chains. One hopes that he can soar above the spittle when his opponents start up with the anti-conservative rhetoric that has begun to sound so desperate in recent weeks. Canada is essentially a rather conservative country, with this thin crust baked over the top representing cultural nationalism. It's time to break up that crust and stir the pot once again. I see this as a repeating cycle in Canada, and a task that needs to be done more frequently now that the world has moved on from Marxism, which after all is the real foundation of our official national culture, such as that is.

Jack Layton is wedged into a very tight spot. He can hardly seem like an enthusiastic junior partner for some proposed Conservative-NDP coalition, because this will seem both absurd and pathetic to his core voters, and for that matter to most other voters. Yet he must sound the chord of profound alienation from the Liberal vision, which after all was shaped from raw materials left behind by various unsuccessful New Democratic platforms of years gone by. The delicious irony of this situation is probably evident even to Jack Layton, which may explain his sombre demeanour these days. Or perhaps it's just seasonal affective disorder.

As for Gilles Duceppe, he had things pretty easy before Christmas. The general take on his campaign was that he just had to keep his heart beating, and his bus on the road, to be around on 23 janvier to collect sixty seats or more, and see the Liberals off to political oblivion. Now, though, he faces a bit of a challenge for some of his votes on the conservative-nationalist flank (he has more flanks than most), and we'll see in the French debate on Tuesday if not tonight, just how he plans to deal with that. Perhaps he is not too worried about it -- a majority Conservative government might actually be a more tempting vision to the Bloc than a minority, and the math of building a majority pretty much depends on about ten seats in Quebec for Stephen Harper. The Bloc may well figure that they can manoeuvre a fully engaged Harper government into a confrontation more easily than a minority government that might be looking their way for help.

So it has become a very complex dance indeed, with each participant wondering who to insult, who to praise with faint damns, and who to ignore. We all know, however, that the Prime Minister has one more volcanic eruption left in him before blowing his stack, and that is no doubt going to come in some over-the-top version of Captain Canada, standing up to the conservatives, separatists, westerners, businessmen, pro-Americans, provincial rights advocates, people who want modernized health care, and Christians among us, in other words, most of the ordinary folk who did not graduate from Liberal University with dishonours and go on to live in the eternal glow that attends full membership in the cult of Trudeau.

If I were Harper, I might consider taking a bathroom break if Martin goes into this performance, because it would be rather difficult to stifle a chuckle that would no doubt have the spin doctors flying off the ceilings in the spin rooms. But wouldn't you love to hear him, or even Jack Layton, ask if the man is off his medication again? I wish these things weren't so tightly scripted and overly formal, because what this country needs is a good old-fashioned rumble in the parking lot.

I don't know what the debate will be "all about," but this election is all about the future integrity of Canada, after twelve years of absolutely brutal Liberal misgovernment. If the voters don't take this chance to set the ship of state on a more promising course, we will be sailing into disaster for certain. One hopes that this paradigm will overwhelm the moment-by-moment energy flows of a debate, and convince the voters to do the right thing. But for what it's worth, I hope Harper excels tonight and Tuesday, and completes the deal.

Let's be under no illusions, though. Unless there is a palace coup going on behind the scenes and Martin is left out to dry, we can expect a furious "battle of the Bulge" sort of last stand in the final two weeks. No doubt this will put a new set of strains on national unity, because it will be a reflex to demonize Alberta, for example, and in a more subtle way "the west," in an appeal to Ontario's historic belief that it should run the ship of state. The fact is, however, that a more important paradigm is emerging in this campaign, that would trump the regional visions of the Liberals, and that is the growing sense among the voters that they need to take back the power of the ballot and teach the Liberals the primary lesson of democratic politics -- the political parties exist to serve the nation, and not the other way around. Paul Martin may never "get it," but perhaps some of his colleagues will, and this can only be good for Canada in the long run.

Posted: 01/ 11/ 06 5:25 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------

Well, two debates have come and gone, and we are indeed seeing a desperate last stand of an increasingly rattled Liberal leader. He's so off his game now that he's confusing Harper with Layton (in the French debate). This foreshadows a nasty mud-slinging final fortnight in which we are bound to hear a litany of all conservative sins, real or imagined, committed since the dawn of time.

We could consider replying in kind, but a fortnight probably isn't enough time. The past twelve years speak for themselves. I think the Canadian voters are starting to understand what's going on in Ottawa, and in such increasing numbers and depth that the NDP is almost mirroring the conservative campaign. It's turning into good cop bad cop, with the sinister chief of detectives Gilles Duceppe looking in through the one-way glass.

I would also say good tie, bad tie, but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Some who have beheld Martin's recent pronouncements have discerned a lack of appeal. For example, Robin Sears, no fan of conservatism, stated Monday on CBC Newsworld that Martin's mid-debate announcement that the Liberals would neuter the notwithstanding clause was "as dumb as a sack of hammers." Don Newman then went on to ask Martin apologist Tom Axworthy if he didn't perceive that the Liberal campaign was falling apart.

In the harsh, cold light of winter, the Liberals look more and more like a spent force, increasingly desperate to avoid the consequences of their actions. The Canadian voters must not allow them to wriggle off the hook. However, we should think of what real "victory" actually means.

On or around May 19th, I recall Stephen Harper saying that the political fight should not drag one down to the same level as one's adversary. It's something like the counter-terrorism paradox, or the fallout from the Gurmant Grewal business -- at what level of punishment or surveillance do you reach a partial moral equivalence with your adversaries?

We could never reach full equality in that arena, but we don't really need to play that game at all. We have much to offer the Canadian people as an alternative to a corrupt and self-serving political elite. And we should never lose sight of the fact that our duty to Canada is to provide good government. Yes, duty to Canada. I can just hear our Liberal guests scrambling for their dictionaries.

Comment

I would suggest Martin is doing his duty to Canada...the only problem is his "Canada" is the power elite of this country, not the people?
      His "Canada" is Paul Desmaris and Power Corp. His "Canada" is Bombardier and Bay Street!
      Along the way he has to pander to a whole lot of special interest groups like the gays, immigrants, left wing kooks, protectionists, American haters etc., but that is just the cost of keeping the old payola scheme going?
      I wonder if any poor working Joe really thinks Martin cares one whit about whether his kids succeed? Or any small business owner thinks Martin cares if he gets a fair shake when he tries to compete with the "Canadian Business establishment"? Or if he cares one way or the other if some farmer in Saskatchewan goes down the tube?
      Martin is starting to look like a raving lunatic with some of his speeches? Does he think if he shouts loud enough people will believe him? If he gets red in the face as he harangues the audience that it will be taken as reality instead of phony playacting?
      He doesn't look good when they catch him without the makeup on. Looks like a wore out old man who is stressed right out? He's made two major mental slips in the last week: One in his confusion about Layton and Harper? And another when he said the Indians were responsible for their own poverty?
      I wonder if the man is becoming deranged? Maybe he will totally lose it and fall to pieces...by his ranting yesterday I don't think he is all that far off?

Comment

Agreed, but the problem is that the sympathetic media down there will say he is very "passionate and focused" whereas if Harper said things in the same way he would be "too angry and american".

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...