• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gopher poison

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gopher poison

The federal Liberals in all their brilliant wisdom decided that 2% strychnine to kill gophers didn't fit in with their stratedgy of milking the system for their buddies advantage.
    Until a couple of years ago they let the municipalities mix the poison and sell it to bonafide farmers. It was expensive compared to the days when the farmer could just go to the local hardware store and buy a can of Gopher Cop for $5, but it was a fairly effective system?
    Then suddenly the municipalities lost their license and the whole business was given to a company in Toronto. The price doubled and the product became useless. By the time the wet product got to the farmer it was moldy and it is very doubtful it was mixed to the proper strength!
    The western Conservative members lobbied long and hard to get the previous system back in place, even forcing it to a vote in the House of Commons last fall. Of course the Liberals voted it down.
    What happens if the Conservatives do get in Jan. 23? Will we have this product by spring?
    I realize this is really small potatoes to government, but maybe a fairly big deal to some farmer being run over by gophers? The little suckers can do immense damage if they get away on you.

I would not count on it cowman. Remember, if the Conservatives do get in, they will no doubt have a minority government and I doubt if gopher poison will be their hill to die on...pardon the pun !!

Comment

Well not sure if it requires taking this problem to the house or anything like that? I think they just have to issue a license to the municipalities? The same license the Liberals pulled a couple of years ago? Just routine government business that doesn't need Parliments approval?

Comment

You know cowman, In my opinion this little example just shows me how uterly useless our political system is in this country.

From something as stupid as gopher poison right down to the vote being split every which way that a small few decide the government .

A nice political idea at one time has evolved into a beaurocratic headache.

Comment

Emrald1...Great pun.

Comment

one solution to your gopher problem cowman would be to relocate west of the North Sask. river as they do not have any gophers out there. Mind you, they don't have the valuable farm land you have either !!!

Comment

WE have back alley boys making all kinds of wierd drugs etc. why can't a bunch uf us red neck farmers make somthing that would do the same as gopher cop

Comment

Profarmer: Not confessing anything here but rumor has it barley soaked overnight in anti-freeze works pretty good! Its sweet and gophers eat it like candy. As with strychnine you need to get it out early before the grass gets going good!
                Know one girl who is playing around with the idea of water hemlock. She is into aromatherapy and says the concept of distilling the poison is pretty basic. She hasn't owned up to trying it yet, but I built her the still two years ago.
                Personally I've found if you get right on them with a good .22 in the spring, you can control them.

Comment

sounds like how the west was won cowman, fire arms, stills etc. !!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...