• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

keeping promises?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keeping promises?

One of Paul Martins promises to Agriculture was he would increase the capital gains excemption. Now I would think every farmer would think that was a good thing? It has saved retiring farmers a pile of money ever since Brian Mulrooney first introduced it?
    The excemption was $500,000...now the promise is to go to $750,000.
    I guess my problem with this is why now? Why didn't Martin have it indexed to inflation if it was such a good idea? Instead we saw a gradual erosion of a very good tax break that let farmers retire with a few dollars in their pockets?
    Now suppose we wake up Jan. 24 with a majority Liberal government? Generally rural areas don't vote Liberal...even rural Ontario aren't real keen on them? Why would Martin keep this committment? Has he kept the promise to eliminate the GST? Did he keep the promise to scrap the free trade agreement?
    The $750,000 excemption sounds very good but is it real? Would you vote for a promise when the record of keeping promises is very poor?

Andy the editer of Grainews recently floated the idea of lowering the exemtion, in trade for more generious (Quebec style) and less complicated farm subsidy support now.

Check out his arguments in the last issue.

Comment

The problem with more generous subsidies versus cancelling the capital gains excemption is this: Subsidies tend to get eaten up real quick with higher capitalization costs and rising inputs? Higher rents, land prices, fuel, fertilizer, spray etc.? The other problem is the rising age of the farm population? Last I heard it was over 58 years old. There are a good portion of farmers looking to retire in a short time and they need the excemption if they are going to get enough after tax money to be able to retire?
      It sometimes feels like the federal government has been doing its best to get rid of farmers, not encourage them to hang on? The capital gains excemption is one of the best ways to skid what the government sees as a useless dead weight? It frees up time and money to concentrate on the really important stuff? Like whether two fruitcakes can get married, or how much dope you can smoke, or how the black gangsters can get more environmentally friendly guns! You know... the important things. LOL

Comment

The reality in Alberta whether you vote for the Liberals because of the $750,000 capital gains exemption or vote for the Conservatives because you can't trust the Liberals that vote really will not make any difference unless you happen to reside in Edmonton Center which is considered Alberta's only swing riding. The rest of the Alberta ridings are already sure to go Conservative so it will not matter how you or I or anyone else votes.

Even though the winner of this election probably will not be known until the last vote is counted in British Columbia and the recounts are all in, no one is going to holding their breath on election night wondering how Alberta voted.

Comment

I agree that Alberta will vote overwhelmingly Conservative. Hopefully old shrill Annie will be gone?
          I do believe however it is important to vote for one simple reason: send a message to Ottawa that we are not impressed with the corruption, with the panderings to the eastern establishment, with the destruction of our social and moral values?
          I would hope that the Liberals would get zero votes from Alberta but of course that isn't reality...you'll always find some people who like to lick the opressors boots or are misguided and gullible?

Comment

remember cowman we have a large population that is from the east, and I am sure some of them are dyed in the wool Liberals.
            The hotel I stay at in Edmonton when I am working there has a huge ANNIE sign in the driveway !!! If the darn hotel wasn't so convenient to my office I would stay elsewhere and tell them why, not that they would give a damn !!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...