• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vehicles and machinery

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vehicles and machinery

I hear so many people say farmers have too new vehicles, machinery etc. Tell me this, why is it all the grain companies, cattle auctioneers, etc. are EXPECTED to have new vehicles, equipment and not the farmer! If it wasn't for the farmer, none of these businesses would be alive and kicking!

Sorry for the rant but was just thinking about it this morning and just had to say something as it picks my butt!

Why is it that farmers are the ONLY ones that can live without a cost of living increase every year? We don't have paid vacations, we can't contribute to Workmans Compensations? Why is it a crime for a person in the city to go more than 10 minutes to the nearest hospital, yet some rural areas are over 30 miles from the nearest hospital? Why do we even do what we do?

Our vehicles are both 10 years old, and while I don't begrudge anyone a reliable vehicle....... I do follow your " rant".

Comment

Well Woolybear, the independent businessman isn't entitled to any of those things either? They live and die by the market they are serving? So it just isn't farmers.
      Now granted most independent business people don't stick with a losing horse forever, like a farmer will! You either turn a profit that is acceptable or you walk! And lets realize that although farming has become a pretty poor business venture right now, it has been profitable sometimes? I would say the biggest problem with any agricultural venture is the large amount of capital needed to produce a product? And unfortunately a new pickup truck really doesn't generate much extra income? From a personal want it might generate a lot of good feelings...just no cold hard cash!
      I think a lot of farmers don't realize they are building equity even though they are having a hard time paying the bills? Most land keeps accumulating in value? How many poor farmers do you know that left a virtual fortune when they died? The widow and the kids can have a grand time blowing it!

Comment

Sure..... if there is anything left for them after the debts are paid, and the taxes. Can't forget the governments share can we?

The equity building thought is correct, but how many young fellows are going to give up before they realize that? Some of us would love to be able to move to some of the conviences that are out there but be know that the bale processor and a tractor with a cab just won't pay.

Comment

Woolybear: Without a doubt it is difficult to be sitting on a fortune and still wondering how you are going to keep the wolf from the door tommorrow! The fact is we either need a better price for our products or we need to cut our expenses one way or the other? Unfortunately right now that usually means cutting our living expenses? Not too easy if you have a wife and kids? Not too easy when you are living pretty close to the poverty line now?
          I don't know if there is a solution? Wayne Easter spent a lot of time and money studying the situation and I don't think he came up with a real solution? I think it would take a very bold government to tackle the problem...a government of very wise men with enough integrity to see it through? Unfortunately all we have are fools who are only interested in lining their pockets!

Comment

I think if we got rid of the tax dodgers and the welfare cows on crown land mabey we would stand a better chance. Now I know a lot of us had to have off farm income to get established but enough already when all these 6 figure men are using agri to set up a very cosy retirement, And before you say they buy our calves and equipt and other imputs they also produce more product for the market place to absorb, all Im saying is level the field.

Comment

Horse: The only problem with that is you would eliminate about the last of the young guys willing to try to set up farms?
              The super high costs of land, machinery, and livestock just can't pay for themselves? So the money has to come from somewhere? Add to that the cost of raising a family?
              So what you are proposing is eliminate the hopes and dreams of some young guy who is busting his butt to do something he loves but has no way of achieving without some capital?
              A good steady driller can make $100,000 a year, which sounds like a lot of money...until you try to buy a quarter of land or a tractor? Most of these guys slave for years trying to set up a farm...and you would deny them that opportunity?
              Personally I admire people who pull themselves up by the bootstraps and through hard work and ambition try to get ahead. I don't think that is a bad thing? I think that is what makes Alberta great? The willingness of the people to do what they have to do to get ahead?
              I don't know about where you live Horse but around here we are pretty well devoid of young farmers? Where will the next generation come from if we don't give these young guys some sort of break?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...