• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

brings back memories

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brings back memories

Here is a story that for someone like me who has been out of the grain growing business for 6 years comes as a bit of a shock but maybe for you all, it is all to familiar.

A young neighbor of mine with a wife and three kids grew a good clean 10,000 bushel (76 bushels of dockage) crop of barley that was sent away and accepted as malt! 5 super “B”‘s!

It was all shipped.

When it was delivered it was declared feed and 3 % heated!

After $8600 rail freight deducted as well as trucking, and other deductions he received an initial cheque for about $1600!

Wow … what would we do with out the “wheat board?

Survive?

Succeed?

Be Free?

Think?

Comment

My Dad went through the same sort of garbage back when I was a kid. Malt turned into feed after he paid the freight to Thunderbay, paid the cleaning charges, paid the Laker charges to Montreal, paid the elevator fees there. He never grew another bushel of grain that had to go to the board!

Comment

The grain heated in the bin. Happens.

In hindsight some dollars invested in aeration would have paid off big time. All kind of things of things can happen to malt, it can loose its germ is most common. That is part of the risk premium paid for malt. We are fortunate that the Alix plant is close enough to our farm that the barley is not totally out of our control if it is not accepted at the plant, and it has happened.

If barley delivered to the plant is not accepted it is not the fault of the CWB. Whoever selects the malt at the plant makes that decision. Just about everyone who grows malt has had a wreck at one time or another. Some years anything is OK and others the plants are real picky.

Comment

We've heard lots of stories about how seemingly good quality is sent (calves, grain, veggies etc) and then its rejected once it gets to the "Buyer". What happens to it then? I BET that it goes in to be blended in and the farmer gets robbed anyway.

Feed barley into premium beer and the shareholders get a dividend.

Comment

Yes , that is the fun of jumping through all these quality hoops. Barley has to be a lot more than clean, try perfect, when maltsters have enough to chose from. And no, it's not the CWB for malt grading or pricing. The lowest world price is what you get. I quit providing $2 / Bu raw product that is worth millions to everyone else. I wish we all would.

Comment

Nice shot on the CWB but I dont realy think you can make it stick.
              Since the elevators have mostly pushed down or gave away we have 1 that was bought in barrhead and they buy grain and I will tell you rhat I sure wish the pool still owned it.
              We are back to where our forfathers were 75 yr ago and when they suceed in getting the CWB out we will realy be in the glue , I dont think anyone grows enough grain to broker a deal with say China so that means some corp will steel from the small to sell to the large.

Comment

The last crop of malt barley that I grew I recieved about $3.75...can't remember the year. The spot price anywhere U.S. was about $8.50!!

I asked a rep from Canada Malt what they paid the Wheat Board for my product...he said about $3.75???

I expressed disgust and then he proceeded to lecture me and a few other producers that we should be satisfied with what "the Board" (something wrong with this picture?)does for us...I wasn't...and quit growing board grains!

Comment

This sort of off the topic but came to mind so please don't go off the deep end at me. I have sold a bunch of milling oats over the years and of course here a few years ago got 2.25 a bushel which was awesome and of ccourse the next winter had equal quality oats and the price was only l.50 a bushel so took samples along up to the crop production show and shopped around to no avail, but while in the line up for lunch ran into a farmer that actually bought oats and cleaned them for the same market and he claimed that the processors paid him the same from one year to the next and they didn't have to pay any extra to access sufficient supplies so they didn't pay any more(only human nature) but goes to show that the processed market doesn't change that much but the farm price and standards required fluctuate erratically. For what it is worth.

Comment

Hmmmm...Trying to dis the Canadian Wheat Board again eh? Don't believe most people will judge the CWB at fault on this predicament. THEY didn't reject the grain.

Nice try IveBinConned but no cigar.

Comment

Wilagrow...check the same topic on a different thread.

https://www.agriville.com/cgi-bin/forums/viewThread.cgi?1132199173

Comment

IvBinLadenConned: Please don't double-post. It can cause confusion. Better to have the entire discussion on one forum.

My opinion.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...