• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas election?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas election?

Tommorrow Harper can pull the trigger? Do you think he will?
    I figure why not, although I seriously doubt it will happen? I just can't see those fat cats in Ottawa wanting to have to get out and hustle their butts during what usually is a time of partying and lazing about!
    Martin seems to be getting fairly generous with the old public purse all of a sudden! I think it is a good thing that he finally called Laytons bluff? The last thing we need in this country is the NDP running the show...like they were doing the last few months?
    I suspect Martin will win a majority this time if the Conservatives wait? He might anyway...but not out here!

I will walk over hot coals and vote every day of my life if I could just get rid of these corrupt rats that call themselves Liberals.

Comment

The 3 opposition parties have to know that to call an election during the holiday season would be detrimental to them - moreso than the Liberals. People would not be happy to have an election hanging over their heads and have candidates coming to their doors during a time that is reserved for family and friends.

If they thought voter turnout and apathy were an issue in the last election, what would it be if they were to call one now?

The smartest thing the other candidates could do is to wait until the New Year and start putting their positive (and I emphasize positive) campaigns into gear. We've all been told ad naseum how the party in power has failed us - for me, it is time to see how the other parties plan to succeed.

Comment

Well I think they gave Martin an out when they proposed an election in February starting in early January? If he agrees to that then they avoid a "Christmas election campaign"?
        If he won't agree to that then what options do they have? Parliment will recess for about two months and then we end up with the original Liberal plan of a spring election?
        Now obviously the opposition parties don't want to give Martin time to spend money like a drunken sailor to buy your vote? They don't want him to have time to weasel his way out of Gomery? Obviously the Conservatives don't want to give him time to paint them as "scary" and to beat up on Alberta and set the east/west conflict in place?
        You say you want to see the "positive" messages of what every party has to offer and not dwell on Liberal corruption? The fact is all the opposition parties have a platform and they have pretty well laid it out, but the one thing that is important here is this: We have a proven den of thieves running this country. If you believe Martin and his gang are innocent then you should consider voting for them? If you believe Goodales sudden conversion to sharing the spoils with the masses then you should consider voting for them? I wonder why he suddenly saw the light?
        I would suggest the Liberals are trying to buy you with your own money?
        Consider how these guys operate and then ask yourself...what has changed? Business as usual?

Comment

This election, whether it is coming before Christmas or after Gomery issues his final report, will be all about the Liberals. The truth of the matter is the Conservatives have presented no platform for Canadians to either like or hate. The Conservatives themselves are not united behind Harper as leader and it has only been a couple of months since there was very vocal and open opposition to Harper from within the party itself. The Conservatives know most Canadians will not vote for Harper so their best strategy continues to be vote against the Liberals. Not even vote against Martin but vote against the Liberals.

I think once the election campaign starts Harper will not be able to hide behind the sponsorship scandal and Canadians as a whole will not vote for a party with no vision or demonstrated ability to govern this country.

I think Harper is anxious to see an election because he cannot hold onto his leadership position within the Conservatives much longer. It is only a matter of months, not years, before Peter McKay replaces Harper as leader of Conservatives. If the Conservatives were smart they would put off the election as long as possible so they could have an election convention first and replace Harper with McKay.

Comment

Nice Liberal hatchet job. Who wrote that up for you, Anne McClellan??

This garbage about not voting in December is really nauseating. All people have to do is find out early what the party policies really are (don't wait for the TV or radio to tell you what it is - find out on your own) and make a decision for God's sake!! Then take 2 minutes to stand in a cardboard box and mark an X. It is not that bloody hard.

We have gotten so apathetic in this country that we would rather be mad about voting in December or January, than putting in a little effort to get rid of the people we have been whining about for 12 years.

Paul Martin himself "promised" he would call an election next year, how about we just do it a little earlier??

Comment

The actual going and voting is not hard, as you point out silverback. What would be hard around the holiday season is being bombarded by campaign ads, having potential candidates coming and interrupting get togethers, not to mention all the negative campaigning, rhetoric and whatever else you might want to throw in there. It's not too likely it would be welcome.

All these many months, what we have heard is how we're going to bring down the Liberals - nothing about what other parties will actually do to get voters onside. Yes, you can go to websites and look up the party line, but that doesn't give you the non-verbal communication that people rely on.

Communication is about 7% verbal, the rest non-verbal cues that we as individuals pick up on and interpret, based on our own beliefs and values.

It is getting tougher and tougher to know who to vote for, which likely accounts for a great deal of the apathy. There have been discussions in other threads about apathy in many organizations, municipally, provincially and federally. How does one choose? Perhaps we are a little too quick to paint potential candidates with a certain brush.

For me, my vote is cast for whom I believe (and maybe even hope) will do the best for me in my riding - representing me - and NOT on the leader of the party. And no, that does NOT mean a Liberal vote.

The Reform/Alliance/Conservatives have been in turmoil since Preston was defeated and they have yet to find their stride and make their mark. Perhaps it will be when Peter Mackay or someone else is leader of the party and people stand united behind that leader.

I don't know why the Conservatives have had so much difficulty in rallying behind a leader that has been chosen by the delegates. Do any of you have any ideas as to why this is the case?

Comment

There was a guy on the radio today that suggested that Christmas is the best time to have an election due to the fact that it gives everyone a chance to show our children what it means to do the most important thing we can do in a democracy - think and vote. The best cure for apathy is to let kids know how important it is to vote when they get old enough.

I don't understand how you can say that the Conservatives are not united behind Harper?? Of all the MP's in Ottawa, who is saying negative things? I remember the knives flying at the past two leaders of the reform and alliance, but I have not heard that for Harper at all - except from the media. They have had people leave and be fired from the office, but the way they were handling his public appearances and promotion, I think it was a good move.

Comment

I am likely have been one of the most politically minded individuals in the ccountry for all my life. People either agreed with me or disagreed but always knew one way or another which side of the fence I was on when it came to politics. This time I will treat all politicans all off striped with the same contempt until I am convinced differently. If you call that apathetic then so be it!!!!!!

Comment

Carebear, I don't think it's apathy because you've stated that you had an opinion - whether people agreed with you or not. I also don't think it's bad to wait until you personally feel that the candidate(s) have earned your trust and respect.

To me, apathy is not doing anything i.e. getting out and voting, even though that is a right and a choice as well. It's stating that there is no point in voting because one vote won't change anything anyway. Well, you start adding up them votes and it could count. Every vote counts, whether you're with the majority or not.

Firing publicists and such is one thing and one hopes that things will improve when changes are made. How much have things changed since these firings took place?

People need to feel that they can somehow connect with their leaders and the sad truth is sometimes leaders just don't have what it takes to reach the masses. It might not be a pleasant truth, but it is still the truth nonetheless.

Kids don't necessarily need to be on a holiday to see the democratic process at work. It takes parents who are involved no matter what time of the year it is because one of the most important influences on a childs life are the parents. If kids see mom and dad getting involved, they are likely to at least ask some questions.

Comment

farmer son: For someone who emphatically declares he isn't a Liberal you sure seem to spend a lot of time defending them?...and trashing the Conservatives?
                      Without a doubt now is a good time for the opposition parties to take their shot? Martin and Goodale have the wallet open and are ready to buy the election? These crooks will do whatever it takes to stay in power!
                      Would Peter MacKay make a good leader? Well we know he is pretty good at lying to Orchard and turning around and stabbing him in the back? Does that make a good leader? And we know that he can be all teary eyed yet photogenic when his girl friend dumps him...does that make a good leader?
                      Harper seems to be a moderate man and not a show boat? His policies have always been slightly right of center?
                      I wonder if the problem really is this: He stood up and wrote a paper defending the rights of Alberta, thus forever alienating him from the eastern freeloaders? Or perhaps it was because he argued for government fiscal restraint when he was boss of the taxpayers coaltion?
                      The strange thing is this: I can totally understand why easteners would be upset...but westerners and especially Albertans? And avowed Conservatives!
                      Isn't a Conservative, one that wants smaller, more responsible government...the things Harper has always pushed? Maybe Harper naysayers are in fact Liberals in wolves clothing!

Comment

Linda: Well from past comments from you I doubt very much you will be voting Conservative! You don't have a lot of use for Bob Mills and somehow I get the impression you think Harper is still Reform...who you obviously have a lot of contempt for! So I wonder who that leaves? Whatever...it is your vote!
                        Carebear: Are all politicians crooks? I don't know...I think it is difficult to stay lily white and pure when you are hobnobbing with a den of thieves! I like to think some have good intentions? My own MP is a decent man...or so I believe? I've known him for a long time...in fact he was my Bio 30 teacher! I know he has a sincere interest in the environment. I don't think he is a thief. In the area I live he will get in no matter what. We elect Conservatives here everytime. Always have, probably always will? The people in this area believe in free enterprize.

Comment

The reality is Albertans vote for a certain party regardless of its policies. In Alberta the vast majority of people will vote Conservative without regard to the capabilities of the candidate or the policies of the various other parties. The national parties know this. That kind of brain dead allegiance to any one party, irregardless of which party that may be, sidelines Alberta in the national debate.

When we recall how close the last federal election was we should not be surprised in the upcoming election if the various parties are going to focus their attention on those ridings who actually may be persuaded to vote for them. There would only be one riding in Alberta that would qualify, Edmonton Center. The voters in that riding will be very influential in the next election, the rest of us Albertans not at all. As rural Albertans we should not expect the policies that appeal to the people in Edmonton Center would necessarily suit us. However Edmonton Center is a swing riding and will be the focus of national attention. Their vote is important, the rest of us not at all as it is a foregone conclusion who will win, as you say point out, in the other ridings. Albertans would be more influential nationally if they voted strategically instead of trotting out old loyalties.

I know I get branded in these pages, unfairly I might say, as a Liberal. But in most Alberta ridings, the end result of voting Conservative election after election is our vote is taken for granted and really does not count.

Comment

If you want a one party system like, say, China, then just say so f_s.
                            (I am still waiting for some balance on your corruption investigation by the way)

I wonder why it is that the main detractors of the Conservative party always have to go back to the leader as some sort of bad guy no matter who it is?? From everything I have read and heard about the party, it is the only major party that actually will let it's members and MP's vote the way they want. If you want to only focus on the Leader of a party as being the "be all and end all" then you are barking up the wrong tree at the Conservatives. I want my voice to be heard in Ottawa and there is no way that that can happen with the other parties - they get whipped all the time.

Comment

I never said anything about a one party system. But federal politics is not a sporting event where we always cheer for the same team. In order for Albertans to have influence in Ottawa we cannot have our votes taken for granted by any of the parties. At the very least the two major parties should have to compete for our votes, that is not happening now. Everyone knows which way Alberta is going to vote.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...