• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special Areas requests for water

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually Linda I have no clue what a piping plover is... and frankly I don't really care! But then I have some real anti environmental beliefs...like they should completely wipe out the wolves,cougars and grizzly bears!
    However I fail to see what concern it is of anyone basically living above the proposed "water diversion scheme"? The water goes down the river and who cares where? We only have to deliver 50% to Saskatchewan so why not use our 50% for the population of Alberta? Maybe I am an insensitive lout or something, but why not use it to create some wealth and prosperity for the people in eastern Alberta?
    I do know there are a lot of good solid people that live out in the "special areas" and I sure would hate to see that region crash! They are tough and independent and they sure don't buy into all this Liberal drivel that is ruining our country! I'd sure rather help them out than the eastern bums we are forced to support!

Comment

Okay cowman, I'm not even going to touch your comments on environmentalism.

The water in a watershed is for all stakeholders within that watershed, not just for those above or below a certain point. Recharge of underground water can sometimes occur 100's of miles away so you could affect someone and not even know it because they are downstream from you.

I don't have a problem doing it if it is warranted. No one has said anything about good or bad people and/or deserving/non-deserving people. If we are not careful, it won't take long until the 50% that we do have is over allocated and then what happens?

It is not just this one project, as I've mentioned before, there are several others that are in the works as well, each with their own demands on the river. One of the piping projects should be set to go.

Also, please bear in mind that there was a report done several years ago that stated that there would be no new development south of Ponoka after about 2020 because there wouldn't be the water to support it. Could that be why we are "rushing" to do all of this development - in order to beat the dealine?

Comment

I think that the proponents of the project need to provide the opportunity for interested ( vs opposed) folks to tour the area and see what water can do, and the drawabacks caused by the lack of it.

Many special interest groups will be heard before this project goes too far ahead. The province may nix it before it gets to the EIA stage, who knows ?

I agree with cowman on many aspects. When the land was cleared and oil and gas wells drilled in this area, people were all up in arms because they felt the big game would all leave, die or heaven knows what. There are so many deer, moose and elk around here that they are a problem, so the fact that their habitat was invaded by industry hasn't caused any problems at all.

I drive down Highway 16 almost daily and see the raping and pillaging done by the coal extraction around Wabumun, it is an eyesore and likely has caused untold environmental damage, that will never be reclaimed, and yet there never seems to be a peep made by environmentalists.

Comment

Cakadu......read the report/engineer`s study.We`re trying to be as all encompassing/professional as possible.

Comment

Actually, emrald, I think that is the one area that was lacking on the part of the organizers of the SAWSP meetings. They didn't have any verbal presentations, likely to keep a lid on any grandstanders, which in my opinion, was a drawback. People should never be afraid of the opposed or the naysayers because it is from all ideas that the best plans are made. Quite often when people tell you what they don't want, they are actually telling you want they want, so you are cutting off what could be valuable input.

The odd time, you even make converts of the naysayers, so it is never a lost opportunity. There is greater buy-in if people feel that they been a part of something, they have been allowed to state their piece and their ideas looked at. To me, there is merit in hearing the opposition. Again, I don't have to agree with them, just understand their viewpoint. "Seek first to understand, then be understood."

Cropduster, that is what I am trying to do with the full report that was released on this diversion project. I am trying to understand so I can make an informed decision.

Comment

Unfortunately it sometimes happens that those who do not agree with proposals such as this have a way of spinning things and creating angst.
              Not everyone is willing as you are to become informed, and would choose only to believe half truths.
              I can't begin to count the number of times I have heard someone say ' I heard from somebody that such and such is going to happen', maybe its my nosy nature but if I hear a rumor about something or some project that is proposed in my community, I go to the source and get my facts straight .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...