• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equalization payments

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cowman, I agree that all levels of government need to give infrastructure a higher priority, unfortunatly the municipal governments seem to be carrying a lot of the burden, which of course is on the back of the local tax base.
    Where I don't agree with your comments is in the area of health care. The average citizen could not pay all the costs of their own health care if they had anything more than a common cold. I know that we used to pay all costs but not too many years ago a diagnosis of cancer was usually a death sentence. We know that the advances in research and technology in medicine saves many lives, and routine testing costs vast sums. If the government was not involved in the delivery of health care, only the rich would be able to afford it, and I cannot agree with that. There is abuse of the health care system, and in my opinion the Health Regions are top heavy in administration, something which our Provincial government needs to address. The recent Long Term Care review certainly pointed out loud and clearly just how poorly the Health Regions are delivering health care to our most fragile citizens, but you can bet that there aren't many families that are equipped to or want to care for their elderly family member at home, so government funded facilities are a necessity.

Comment

emerald, I never suggested that it was only one way...some move here but more leave thus we have no population growth.

I moved here from Alberta 32 years ago because land was cheaper here...it still is! In fact I am having to except the same price now, for land that I have held for 25 years and made great improvments on.

Yes I know personaly other Albertans who have bought land here (because it looked so cheap) but in just a few years are wanting to get back out.

The Saskatchewan unoffical slogan "Born Free, Taxed To Death"

Comment

Cowman, again the infrastructure problem is a double-edged sword. If we didn't have all of this heavy equipment on the roads, they wouldn't need as much repair. I realize that the roads built 20 and 30 years ago were not made to withstand the kind of equipment that we have now - agricultural and commercial.

The county we live in is a prime example. They tell us it is great that we have 4.5 million coming in revenue this year because of increased drilling activity. They are going to be spending more money on repairing infrastructure (believe it when I see it) and maintaining things, so are we any further ahead? Our taxes have gone up as well, does that bode well for the ratepayer? Never once have I been consulted by the county as to whether or not I am in agreement with this increased drilling. It is appalling to see how many rigs there are within a 5 mile radius of our farm. How does all the noise and disruption, not to mention potential for leaving a footprint benefit me as a resident of the county? My roads get pounded out and not fixed for weeks or even months, so what am I gaining? The paved road one road over does not get used, yet my gravel roads do. And don't even get me started on why these truck drivers have to use their jake brakes on a perfectly flat road.

As far as my MP representing my interests goes, I agree with you there as well in principle. My feeling is that the MP does not represent my interests and if you look at his ramblings over the last year or so, he has done an about face on Kyoto and a few other things. I really do question whose interests some of these people really serve.

We are going so fast down this road to gaining all that we can from the non-renewable resources that by the time they run out, how much irreparable damage will we have done? How many care about that, or is it all give me what I can get today and the devil about tomorrow?

Comment

Linda, the pressure on infrastructure in this province is second to none. The Alberta Advantage costs a lot of money to all levels of government. Many municipalities have applied for resource road funding for roads that are utilized mainly for moving resources through a municipality or within their boundaries, but there is still a burden on the local taxbase.

In areas where there isn't significant industry use, roads can be paved to a lesser standard, but areas with a lot of heavy industry traffic have to build to a much higher standard, and even then have to budget for overlays on paved roads or they will end up not having the monies to repair roads as they deteriorate.

Comment

So then how long does it remain an advantage then?

Comment

Linda, it depends on how you look at it, the glass is half full or half empty.
              Our province is debt free, which is a enviable position to be in.
              Resources are responsible for the debt free status.
              Alberta is the province of choice for folks from other regions of Canada who cannot find jobs at home, they are able to move here and make a good living for their family.
              We who live in resource rich areas certainly pay the price, heavy traffic on roads, air quality questionable at times etc.
              If all resource activities must be done with protection of the environment and the health of Albertans in mind, then having these industries is truly an advantage.

Comment

The alternative (hoard the resourses in the ground) still puts these same pressures on the roads. Saskatchewan grows more and more grain and sends it down the road instead of the railway and wala...there goes the roads!

There is plenty of cheap land for sale to the east of you cakado, come on over, it is your kind of paradise.

Comment

It isn't just the resource industry that causes pressure on the infrastructure in AB., grain hauling, livestock hauling and other traffic associated with the feeding industry in AB., eg. manure haulers etc. all contribute to the volume of heavy traffic. In some instances operators of confined feeding operations have been required to construct segments of roads to municipal standards as part of the conditions of getting their permit or approval.

Comment

There are many reasons for the pressures on our roads and there is no doubt that when some of these roads were built, there was no comprehension of the type of equipment, machinery and vehicles that would one day be utilizing them. I also agree that agriculture is very hard on infrastructure in it's own right.

Just because we can take all the resources out of the ground, does it mean that we should? What I am concerned about is the long term effects of all of this versus the short-term gain that many seem to be going for.

I'm a half-full kind of gal and try to give the benefit of the doubt. Having said that though, I am a firm believer in finding balance and doing what will benefit the majority. Yes, we do have things in this province that most of the others don't have. But what price have we had to pay (and continue to pay) in order to get that? What are the long-term consequences and the unforeseen consequences of the actions we are taking today?

Comment

Linda, I think that the realization that things cannot continue as they are is why the new Water Strategy is being implemented by Ab Environment. As far as the resource extraction goes, it seems as though when each field gets to the end of its lifespan new technology for extracting resources comes along and keeps old wells producing.
                      I agree with you that we must try and balance the need for exploration with protecting the health of people and the environment.

Comment

Let's hope we can find some balance before there it becomes too costly to get the balance back.

On another note emrald - I see to recall you asking if I were around on the 16th and the date has come and gone. Between lambing and dealing with committee work, my days are running into one another. Sorry about that - I hope we can do it another time and soon.

L

Comment

Will contact you when I am going down that way again and maybe we can get together for coffee somewhere along the route.

Comment

I wonder how many decent roads/infrastructure we might be able to afford if we weren't sending $12 billion a year into the black hole called Ottawa where it goes down the pipeline to Quebec?
                            I heard on a news program that Saskatchewan and BC are soon to become "have provinces"! Due to increased oil and gas revenue! Which is a very good thing.
                            I would assume the feds would view this as a very positive thing as it gives them a whole new source of bribe money for Quebec! Why they just might be able to keep the old shell game rolling for a few more years!
                            The only really sad thing about the west "harvesting" our natural resources is that we have a very large parasite taking the real cream and when the oil is gone we will be another Atlantic Canada? Our provincial governments have sold us out and they truly should be ashamed. Hopefully the latest little black adventures in Ottawa will finally wake some people up here in the west?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...