• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm Accidents

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'right or wrong' cowman, at least all of you that were taking the H2S course would have reacted and likely saved lives if the situation was 'real'
    In a farming operation, many times folks are working alone when a bad accident happens, and some farmers are notorious for cutting corners where safety is concerned, eg: not ensuring that guards are on augers; taking chances around livestock; working many long hours at busy times of the year etc.
    One good thing that has evolved over the past few years is a mandatory courses for farmers handling pesticides. The local Ag Service Board runs them once a year.
    I think that every farmer and at least one other member of their family should have basic first aid training, but I bet very few of them do.
    In fact, I am willing to bet that likely the few that do have a First Aid Certificate, or even a good first aid kit, got it working in an off farm industry.
    Disturbing statistics indicate that on an average 114 people are killed on Canadian farms each year, and another 1500 are hospitalized for their injuries. In the ten year decade between 1990 and 2000 there were 14,987 agriculture related injuries across Canada that required hospitalization and lord knows how many others that required broken bones set, stitches etc., that didn't require hospitalization. The real tragedy is that of the 13 persons killed in farm-related accidents in Alberta last year five were under 18.
    Farming is a very stressful occupation and unlike many industries, the kids start helping at a very young age, and even the tiny ones might be around the workplace, neither of which you will see out in the oil patch.
    If everyone that contributes to this site would get adequate first aid training and ensure that they are working safely at all times on their own farming operation, it would be a start.

Comment

Emerald: Not quite sure what you are talking about when you say it is mandatory to take a course to buy pesticides? You sure don't need anything to handle herbicides...other than a legal land description.
      I have a certified industrial chemical applicators license but my local dealer never asks me anything other than my legal land description when I buy farm chemicals. When I buy industrial chemicals I have to have my certificate number.
      By the way, keeping up a chem certificate, has become quite a chore! You need to attend some courses every year and they aren't cheap! Costs me about $400/year!
      I also need first aid/cpr every three years, Transportation of Dangerous goods every three years, Confined space/three years, and H2S/three years. All on my own nickel!
      I do agree farming can be a very dangerous occupation. I also believe as a person gets older they become more susceptible to mistakes? But also they become more cautious and don't rush so much?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...