• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Land use bylaws...again!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linda within your own jurisdiction I am sure you are familiar with the Municipal Development Plan and Land Use By-Law. You could contact Municipal Affairs and request a copy of the Provincial Land Use Policies. They are a GUIDELINE for municipalities to deal with land use, but they are not mandatory, and there is no actual checking done to see if municipalities adhere to these policies. Many pieces of legislation come into play when municipalities develop their statuatory planning documents. They must address environmental issues, airport vicinity issues, and regarding the confined feeding industry they must address the Agricultural Operations Practices Act legislation. Recommendations were made to the Province by the Land Use Core Action Team which stemmed out of the Ag Summit process. These recommendations are available on the Ag Summit website, which should still be linked to AAFRD's website.
    One group that is a wealth of information on land use issues is Action for Agriculture. They hold monthly meetings in Airdrie and anyone can join their group.

Comment

Sure seems to be a lot of beuracracy to decide how the government will infringe on our property rights? Oh I forgot, in Canada we don't have any property rights!
      I wonder how long it will take until the ballooning beuracracy destroys this country? My neighbor was just the other day telling me about the nightmare you have to go through to expand a hog barn! Fewer and fewer people are even trying! Foolish government rules and regulations are driving people out of business.
      Personally I refuse to hire any employees because of all the government BS. Much easier to go with a private contract agreement than jump through all the garbage(and expense) from the government.

Comment

Cowman, expansion of hogbarns and feedlots etc. come under the Agricultural Operations Practices Act legislation which came into effect January 1/02. This legislation is administered by the Natural Resources Conservation Board. Municipalities previously approved these facilities within their jurisdictions, and the result was that the industry was operating under approximately 68 different sets of rules depending on where they were located.
        Some municipalities did a super job of regulating these operations, while others placed numerous conditions on them when they applied for a development permit and never followed up on these conditions.
        The AOPA legislation places all applicants on a level playing field with one set of regulations and standards for the expansion of the industry.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...