• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Diefenbaker water level

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Diefenbaker water level

I read that WSA is restricting outflow of water due to low water level an low incoming of water into the lake.

Will that reduce the amount of irrigation water available and will it have any effect on the power generating at the Dam?

The reservoirs in southern Alberta are also lower than normal.

But the climate change deniers don't want to talk about the persistent heat, drought and increasing evapotranspiration rates that will come with climate change.

Increasing CO2 levels will be good for plant growth!

Except when it doesn't rain enough or you run out of irrigation water.

Comment

I am wondering about if the level gets so low that people can't take drinking water out anymore. Sask is very dependant on the lake and that river. Just a couple years ago it was so low the ferry didn't run until late June or something.

I don't understand the water cycle, it must be raining or snowing some where or are the oceans rising storing all the water that normally evaporates and falls as rain elsewhere?

Raining here today, suppose to have 100 people show up for a tour. Wouldn't you know it! LOL

Comment

if its drought its climate change ! if its flooding its climate change ! all events that have allways happened , i i truely feel sorry for the simpeltons that believe the rubbish

Comment

Originally posted by cropgrower View Post
          if its drought its climate change ! if its flooding its climate change ! all events that have allways happened , i i truely feel sorry for the simpeltons that believe the rubbish
          I don't think we needed to feel sorry for the true believers. Their life is infinitely easier than thinking people's lives. Everywhere they look they see confirmation bias of their beliefs. Never have to confront any contradictory evidence to have any cause to question their religion.
          They never have to ask themselves what if I'm wrong?
          All levels of government and all government sponsored media will always reinforce their beliefs for them.
          They can claim the moral high ground in any debate. They have a scapegoat for anything that goes wrong in their lives.
          No matter what the outcome, they can always claim they were right. Institute at carbon tax, and weather keeps happening, well then you can see that's why we needed the carbon tax. Institute a carbon tax and whether stops happening, they can say see, the carbon tax worked that's why we need to keep the carbon tax.
          They definitely have chosen the easiest route. I often envy that choice.
          Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Aug 31, 2023, 09:17.

Comment

yes but if they truely believe they must be scared at this stage , all the terrible things that are going to happen must keep them awake at night ! somthing we dont have to worry about !

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
              The reservoirs in southern Alberta are also lower than normal.

But the climate change deniers don't want to talk about the persistent heat, drought and increasing evapotranspiration rates that will come with climate change.

Increasing CO2 levels will be good for plant growth!

Except when it doesn't rain enough or you run out of irrigation water.
              Climate change? Low water levels? Have you ever heard of the Palliser Triangle? Can you then explain to me why we have different soil zones? Why the color of the dirt changes from brown, to dark brown to thin black, to black to gray as you go from Medicine Hat in just about any direction?

The answer, I was told in University, is because the soils developed over tens of thousands of years, and each soil zone has a historic level of rainfall over those tens of thousands of years and that affects the height and the stand of the grass each year. The deer and Buffalo would eat the grass and spew their methane in the air. The dead grass and manure from the animals is returned to the soil. The amount of grass corresponds to the amount of organic matter that contributes to the soil, which eventually affects the color of the dirt. So to tie this back together, the color of the dirt corresponds to historical rainfall amounts. All natural and well researched. What is your answer to this?

The low rain fall is a cycle. Low snowpack in the mountains is a cycle. It’s been happening for over 30000 years in the current cycle. Especially in the Palliser Triangle area of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Crop Failures in that area are common, and should be expected at higher frequencies than areas where there is better soil and historically more rainfall, according to the soil record. Yes this means high rates of evapotranspiration. And persistent heat should be expected. And yes, CO2 is good for plants. Plants make oxygen. All living things that don’t have roots need oxygen. It is a symbiotic relationship.

Flooding will come, don’t worry, all across the prairie provinces. There will be high snowpack, avalanches, landslides and enough flooding to continue deepening and widening of the creeks and valleys. Any human infrastructure built in the flood plains or too close to a creek, river, or lake will be destroyed. Contrary to what many believe, the Qu’Appelle Valley, the Saskatchewan River Valleys, Fraser River Valley, and all others, were not formed in one season. Rather it was a very slow process, over tens of thousands of years. Many, many floods. Decades, hundreds and thousands of years apart.

Before the first settlers arrived, grassfires were so common there was no trees hardly in my area when the first settlers arrived. Regina, or Pile o’Bones, was in the middle of wide open grassland. Farming and breaking the prairie sod stopped the grass fires. Now fence lines that were put up in bald prairie are in the bush. Forest Fires burned in enough frequency that old forests burned to make way for new ones to grow. This is all natural and has been going on for millions of years. Forest Fires did not start and is not caused by burning fossil fuels or the supposed fossil fuel caused climate change. Humans have prevented a lot of old growth forests from burning and renewing themselves. This means more intense forest fire seasons should be expected.

Don’t spout any bullshit about climate change on this one buddy. The climate is changing as the ice was once a mile thick where I am today, and dinosaur bones have been found in the arctic. The ice all melted and the climate warmed and no fossils fuels were burned by any humans. And I think we have a bit of warming yet to go. And the water reservoirs built by humans will be replenished in time.

Comment

Well said small time operator.
                And what the climate alarmists fail to note when they bring up the issue of glacier-fed rivers and global warming, is that if the world wasn't warming out of a glacial era, those glacial fed Rivers would not be flowing year around in volumes sufficient for irrigation and cities and industries.
                If the glaciers were static as seems to be their goal, then it would be far less water in the rivers. And if the glaciers were growing, they would be even less yet available.

Yet somehow the alarmists hold the contradictory points of view that global warming is causing the glaciers to shrink and therefore the rivers to also shrink, yet their solution would be to cool the world which would cause the rivers to shrink even faster.
                Why anyone would hang their hat on this Ponzi scheme as the poster child for global warming is beyond me.
                Perhaps because all of the other poster children have also failed to do what they were supposed to do. Polar Bear populations expanding, penguins expanding, coral reefs expanding, agricultural yields increasing, extreme weather decreasing, death from extreme weather decreasing, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cropgrower View Post
                  When they changed from global warming to climate change the fix was in. You can’t deny climate change , well because it does , and has for a millennium.
                  The perfect scapegoat for the redistribution of wealth under the carbon tax boogeyman .
                  Shame the middle class into paying a tax to save the planet while the elite and those in political power laugh all the way to the bank 🏦.

Comment

As far as water levels at Definbaker, yup they low.
                    But just like the major reservoirs in California a year ago , everyone was running around chicken little that it was the end of days . Well the rain and snow returned last winter and the majority of the reservoirs not only went up , but filled to near max capacity within 5 months.
                    Funny how that colder and wetter winter in the entire western US sure silenced all that hoopla on media and climate change alarmists

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      When they changed from global warming to climate change the fix was in. You can’t deny climate change , well because it does , and has for a millennium.
                      The perfect scapegoat for the redistribution of wealth under the carbon tax boogeyman .
                      Shame the middle class into paying a tax to save the planet while the elite and those in political power laugh all the way to the bank 🏦.
                      Correct, Global warming was at least a scientifically testable hypothesis. Climate change is completely unfalsifiable, and therefore completely unscientific. Everything that occurs is proof of climate change. Nothing can ever prove it wrong.

Comment

Chuck seriously, how much are you getting paid to push this b/s propaganda??

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          Chuck seriously, how much are you getting paid to push this b/s propaganda??
                          Unfortunately there is vast fertile ground of retards in the country that will latch on to all this stuff.

No real farmer will ever be converted to his brand of marxism.

Comment

Small time, I never said that natural cycles and variability are not a part of climate. That's a given.

But condensed, your long winded reply is more climate denial change fodder, which amounts to "the earth's climate has always changed".

Which also means that you think greenhouse gases and other human activity have no impact on climate?

Dead wrong!

The estimate is at least 50% of the relatively rapid climate change since the industrial revolution is due to human activity and fossil fuels and carbon emissions.

Droughts, forest fires and floods all occurred before and will again.

The difference is climate change will intensify all of them along with the increased frequency of extreme events which we are already seeing in many parts of the world including Canada at relatively modest increases in CO2 levels and global temperatures. Most of which has gone into warming the oceans.

So your completely wrong if you think climate change is not happening or will have no impact. The science and data prove you wrong.

And there is no credible scientific organization that says human caused climate change is not happening.

If there was, agrisilly climate change deniers would have posted it long ago.

Give up.

Comment

How is the title of " Credible Scientific Organization" achieved? Or should that be awarded?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...