• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Residential School Excavation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardly.

Parents have just given up actually teaching their children anything so the kids are entirely dependent on schools.

A child in a school has just as much opportunity to learn at home as at school. They’re only “indoctrinated” if they have no other teachers rounding out education in their life.

They aren’t taken from their families and maybe allowed to visit once a year. Families are still fully accessible to children to teach them whatever they want.

Just because they can’t be bothered too doesn’t make it comparable to residential schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
      Hardly.

Parents have just given up actually teaching their children anything so the kids are entirely dependent on schools.

A child in a school has just as much opportunity to learn at home as at school. They’re only “indoctrinated” if they have no other teachers rounding out education in their life.

They aren’t taken from their families and maybe allowed to visit once a year. Families are still fully accessible to children to teach them whatever they want.

Just because they can’t be bothered too doesn’t make it comparable to residential schools.
      You make a good point , but not entirely the case.
      My wife has been a teacher for 25 years , and ya you’re partly right . But there are more parents that help their children’s education than some think . Is it enough of the total percentage, no not even close . The children / young teens that come from these homes in general do exceedingly well through high schools and into post secondary education. But as a percentage wise of students it’s low . There are teachers who care and who can see potential in some students from households who do not give that opportunity or just simply can’t with having to work 2-3 jobs to make ends meet. That’s gotten worse this past few years where the cost of even a modest living has put tremendous pressure on parents at home. My wife is one of few who recognizes these kids and will give extra time to help them if they want to help themselves. Some of them turn out to be excellent students and thrive beyond high school. Unfortunately there are more students simply not driven , from broken homes and drugs are a huge issue in high schools, but that starts at home mostly too . Most of those kids don’t have much future. And that is a parental responsibility and failure , not the school system.
      You do bring up a good point , and yes , it all starts at home . If the home life is a disaster with irresponsible parents, chances are those students will end up the same unless they can help themselves and apply themselves even a bit at schools . Most teachers will recognize that and be willing to help them along . But if the student’s attitude and effort is wasteful and never show, well classes are far too big to babysit each and every kid , it’s impossible. There are special classes for those kids but for the most part it’s a waste of time and effort .

Comment

It’s what they are being taught that is a problem. Life skills have been discarded. Is there still shop, woodworking, home economics, finance, nutrition, housing and design. Don’t think so, these were offered in 1960’s and seventies. Now they are pushing environmental propaganda, politics, gender identity, homosexuality. Sick society - how did this garbage get enshrined in the current curriculum?

Comment

You obviously don't have any school aged children.

Life skills and shop are still being taught in schools.

And Sex education in Saskatchewan? Only if the parents agree and the Sask Party approves the sex ed course material. LOL

But Don't mention any sex ed that involves the LGBQT2+ community or anything the social conservatives don't agree with. They want that back in the closet.

But The Sask Party still funds Christian Schools that teach nonsense and have bad records of abuse and sexual assault like Legacy Christian?

They quickly react to any complaints about sex ed and LGBQT issues, but drag their feet on fixing Christian schools that don't teach science and have all kinds of issues with abuse and staff who sexually assault students?

It's the Sask Party way!
          Last edited by chuckChuck; Aug 23, 2023, 07:51.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            It’s what they are being taught that is a problem. Life skills have been discarded. Is there still shop, woodworking, home economics, finance, nutrition, housing and design. Don’t think so, these were offered in 1960’s and seventies. Now they are pushing environmental propaganda, politics, gender identity, homosexuality. Sick society - how did this garbage get enshrined in the current curriculum?
            Education isn’t one sided. If the schools didn’t teach current trending subjects they’d be just as one sided as only teaching them.

Shop and home ec? Gee, can’t imagine those being hard to teach at home, especially for anyone on this forum. Yeah it would be great if more schools still taught them, but they’re definitely something that’s easy enough for parents to pick up on.

We are in little control of what schools teach. Either pull them and homeschool or round out the education and teach kids things at home. Don’t compare them to residential schools because you don’t like the curriculum.

Comment

Indoctrination comes in many forms blaithin. Some are insidious but easily identified with a little work. Whats being taught in schools is verging far into that slippery slope. You should know that after what went down the past few years.

My kids are taught more native stuff than they ever do about their own culture. They are guilted into the residential school debacle when none were even alive when the last one was close. My kids get a monthly visit from a native knowledge keeper who tells them how the world works. My wife and my own culture are not even spoke about in any manner.

They run a pride flag and a Treaty 4 flag up the pole every year and make the kids stand outside and make some sort of pledge to it all.

You were taking cultural genocide the other day. My bet is you dont have kids.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                Indoctrination comes in many forms blaithin. Some are insidious but easily identified with a little work. Whats being taught in schools is verging far into that slippery slope. You should know that after what went down the past few years.

My kids are taught more native stuff than they ever do about their own culture. They are guilted into the residential school debacle when none were even alive when the last one was close. My kids get a monthly visit from a native knowledge keeper who tells them how the world works. My wife and my own culture are not even spoke about in any manner.

They run a pride flag and a Treaty 4 flag up the pole every year and make the kids stand outside and make some sort of pledge to it all.

You were taking cultural genocide the other day. My bet is you dont have kids.
                Do you not teach your kids about your own culture?

Why do they need to learn that in school? They have you to teach them. Who can teach them about the history of Canada and Natives? Certainly not most people, they’ve never learnt it and would struggle to differentiate between NWC and HBC. Most immigrants will know more about Canadian history than Canadians IME.

Teaching kids other cultures is not cultural genocide. Making it illegal for them to learn and have their own, is. It is not illegal for you to teach your children your culture/language/religion. You can dislike what they’re taught as much as you want, doesn’t mean they aren’t allowed to learn other things.

Comment

My two cents.
                  A little envious of jurisdictions that teach the national geography and civics.
                  Without that grounding in unity the focus becomes on factions. One Constitution, one government, one flag, one country.
                  Seems that flew out the window decades ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                    Do you not teach your kids about your own culture?

Why do they need to learn that in school? They have you to teach them. Who can teach them about the history of Canada and Natives? Certainly not most people, they’ve never learnt it and would struggle to differentiate between NWC and HBC. Most immigrants will know more about Canadian history than Canadians IME.

Teaching kids other cultures is not cultural genocide. Making it illegal for them to learn and have their own, is. It is not illegal for you to teach your children your culture/language/religion. You can dislike what they’re taught as much as you want, doesn’t mean they aren’t allowed to learn other things.
                    I'm on the same page as you with this.
                    My comparison above was somewhat tongue in cheek.
                    The biggest differentiation being that my kids can come home at the end of the day and ask for a second opinion on whether men can have babies. The first nation kid in a residential school had no access to parents or elders to ask if they were really going to burn in hell for eternity if they don't worship the right gods and speak the right language.

We strongly urge our kids to make their own opinions. My political or religious opinions, or their teachers, or grandparents, youtube bloggers etc are not theirs, they go out in the world, digest all these different perspectives and develop their own. But no matter what, parents influence dominates. The first nations children completely lost that influence at an influential age.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...