• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Residential School Excavation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like GOOD intentions...

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
      Sounds like GOOD intentions...
      Because everyone wants to, and should be, Christians?

Okay, Tom.

Can only imagine the outcry if kids were taken from farms and sent to boarding schools to get them to be Liberals and denounce farming as integral.
      Last edited by Blaithin; Aug 22, 2023, 08:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
        They were set up to remove the culture which fits as cultural genocide.

The goal wasn’t to exterminate the Natives, the goal was to make them Christians and stop them from fighting the Europeans.
        Thats doesnt exactly fit either, the fastest way to remove culture is to remove the people by killing them and the army of the day easily could have accomplished that long before.

Maybe, just maybe, the simplest answer is the right one. That a ham fisted attempt at assimilation and integration was made but it went off the rails like every other govt program eventually does creating widespread neglect and abuse.

And by your definition, making any new immigrants learn and use english or french and have education credentials in our country, live by our laws and general customs is cultural genocide on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
          Thats doesnt exactly fit either, the fastest way to remove culture is to remove the people by killing them and the army of the day easily could have accomplished that long before.

Maybe, just maybe, the simplest answer is the right one. That a ham fisted attempt at assimilation and integration was made but it went off the rails like every other govt program eventually does creating widespread neglect and abuse.

And by your definition, making any new immigrants learn and use english or french and have education credentials in our country, live by our laws and general customs is cultural genocide on a daily basis.
          No, making them learn new skills or languages isn’t cultural genocide. Not allowing them to use their previous language is.

You exterminate a people by killing them all. The Church wanted the people. They needed to save their souls. Killing them didn’t save the souls.

All assimilation is ham fisted. No conquered nation in history was assimilated nicely. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t fit as a genocide.

Comment

Take a look around. Every ethnic group is ghettoized. It's the Laurentian way.

Comment

Dictionary defines genocide as murder.
              The term cultural genocide is analogous.
              Beliefs of cultural and racial superiority commonplace in the past. We are human, it still exists somewhere.
              It happened. It was wrong.
              But as far as my limited knowledge goes, only certain oppressed/oppressor groups around the world are stuck in the time warp we are.
              I remember the impression left watching the '78 TV series Holocaust on our black and white set.
              The hypervigilant use of labels, all or none word manipulation and extreme, rigid position stance by the Chucks will always set off alarm bells for me.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                Dictionary defines genocide as murder.
                The term cultural genocide is analogous.
                By conflating those two, you really dilute the meaning. By that defintion, when the romans invaded gaul it was cultural genocide. Same as the welsh, the scots, the french etc.

Basically every country and group of people on the planet have been on both ends of the issue. Invaders and invaded.

What happpened when people crossed over the bering straight 1,000 years after the first batch. Was that all harmony and kumbya. No culture stays stagnant and one crossing over 1,000 years later would be very different. Which culture won that battle and the dozen migrations that happened afterwards.

Cultures have been clashing for 20,000 yrs on this planet. The usual method was to kill the men and breed the women, just like Ghengis did.
                Last edited by jazz; Aug 22, 2023, 09:26.

Comment

Indeed. And it will happen again. Keep your powder dry.
                  But perhaps the goal should be to listen to the better angels of our nature.
                  Last edited by blackpowder; Aug 22, 2023, 09:33.

Comment

Cultures clashing isn’t always on par with cultural genocide.

Still, cultural genocide has been happening for eons. It’s hardly new since North America was “discovered”. Doesn’t mean it’s not worth acknowledging that it did happen.

But acknowledging it shouldn’t mean apologizing in perpetuity or taking the blame. That would be like the current English being blamed for the Scottish clearances or all Italians constantly apologizing for Rome.

It’s happened. Move forward.

Comment

They were set up to remove the culture which fits as cultural genocide.

The goal wasn’t to exterminate the Natives, the goal was to make them Christians and stop them from fighting the Europeans.
                      And viewed through the lens of 2023, that is horrific. But by the standards of the day, that was an incredibly generous offer compared to any of these one-sided interactions throughout history, where extermination would have been the outcome if not the explicit goal.

Comment

Now a days is the time to be a minority or “weaker” or different population. There’s people who are not visible minorities who are intent on voicing loudly how they are a minority and then complaining about how they’re treated. Unless you've been branded as a terrorist to explain actions against you you’re pretty much guaranteed sympathy and compensation from someone.

Historically there was no such thing. You either survived or you didn’t.

Rights/morals/ethics are all fictional things created by peoples imaginations. As such they’re subject to change. One day generations will look back on us and say we had strange standards for our day. Heck, I say that now 😂

Law of the Jungle is if you’re different you don’t usually survive. It’s humanity/religions that’s given different people so it’s interesting that so many current minorities proclaim against these things. If it wasn’t for humanity/religions those people would’ve been eaten ages ago.
                        Last edited by Blaithin; Aug 22, 2023, 12:22.

Comment

Cultures clashing isn’t always on par with cultural genocide.

Still, cultural genocide has been happening for eons. It’s hardly new since North America was “discovered”. Doesn’t mean it’s not worth acknowledging that it did happen.

But acknowledging it shouldn’t mean apologizing in perpetuity or taking the blame. That would be like the current English being blamed for the Scottish clearances or all Italians constantly apologizing for Rome.

It’s happened. Move forward.
                          On behalf of my oppressed Scottish and Irish ancestors, I still hold my English ancestors responsible, and demand reparations and apologies from myself to myself.
                          Family reunions are awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                            On behalf of my oppressed Scottish and Irish ancestors, I still hold my English ancestors responsible, and demand reparations and apologies from myself to myself.
                            Family reunions are awkward.
                            I’m working on a family tree atm.

I don’t think I’d have one generation ever that would get along with each branch. There’s even some that went to jail for things that this year would probably be celebrated.

It’s also interesting watching attitudes change over the years. One ancestor in particular is referred to as Russian, Polish, or Prussian depending on the year.

Comment

In fact, Chuck, I would like weekly apologies and some monetary compensation please. I have repressed ancestors.

Comment

Can only imagine the outcry if kids were taken from farms and sent to boarding schools to get them to be Liberals and denounce farming as integral.
                                That is actually a very accurate description of the indoctrination system today. Except it applies to all children. And not limited to denouncing farming, but all primary industries.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...