• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crappie canola stand

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crappie canola stand

What to do
    - swath,some spots over ripe some green as grass won't be a great swath in spots might end up blowing away because of short stubble
    -or leave and straight cut when all is ripe and maybe spray???
    God I hate drought

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
    What to do
    - swath,some spots over ripe some green as grass won't be a great swath in spots might end up blowing away because of short stubble
    God I hate drought
    We have same issue on several canola fields
    Going to straight cut some of thinnest , leave some mediocre fields a bit then swath and hope for the best . Was much the same in 2021
    Wind blew out some swaths , .
    It’s no fun either way , simply sucks either way you look at it

Comment

What to do
      God I hate drought
      If its a good pod shatter variety let 'er ripen au naturale unless weeds become a problem. 70% of the time we bring it in just fine without preharvest herbi.

Comment

Whatever you do, make sure your yield ends up the same as all the neighbours if you plan to collect crop insurance if you are in Sask. Otherwise, they will cancel your policy and pay you establishment after harvest is done.

Last year we had flea beetles really bad. Sprayed 2 and 3 times. Crop was wounded early on. Swathed as it was stagey. No stubble to roll into. Combining 10 days later. 80 k wind for 3 days as we were combining. Scattered all to hell. Wind damaged canola was half shelled and all over the place. Yield was half of the neighborhood. So like I said above. They canceled the policy. Sent me the establishment check end of October. I was out 6 figures compared to what my 80% coverage was. Appealed it twice. Long story short, still out the six figures.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimeOperator View Post
          Whatever you do, make sure your yield ends up the same as all the neighbours if you plan to collect crop insurance if you are in Sask. Otherwise, they will cancel your policy and pay you establishment after harvest is done.

Last year we had flea beetles really bad. Sprayed 2 and 3 times. Crop was wounded early on. Swathed as it was stagey. No stubble to roll into. Combining 10 days later. 80 k wind for 3 days as we were combining. Scattered all to hell. Wind damaged canola was half shelled and all over the place. Yield was half of the neighborhood. So like I said above. They canceled the policy. Sent me the establishment check end of October. I was out 6 figures compared to what my 80% coverage was. Appealed it twice. Long story short, still out the six figures.
          What in the heck? How does sask insurance work in this regard?

As to original question and dollar covg... if you are short on production then spend very..very..little on it! Obvious i know..
          That being said, using the desiccant product is probably the best way to go as its early enough for chem to work well.. you * should* gain on some weed control heading into next year..and a sprayer moves alot faster than a swather.
          Leave the swather in the shop.. spray it out with chem and get what you get. At this stage you are probably hoping for a crop insurance cheque so may as well set yourself up for success heading into next year.

Comment

What to do
            God I hate drought
            Is it LL or RR canola? Pod shatter resistant? Lighter crops certainly benefit from straight cutting but large differences in maturity makes this tougher to do.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimeOperator View Post

So multi peril doesn’t really mean multi I guess. I remember reading a similar story on Facebook a few years ago, crop insurance wouldn’t cover the farmers losses for wind blown canola swaths.
              Last edited by blueversi; Aug 11, 2023, 09:06.

Comment

Liberty pod shatter on most and few 680 proven or the rest. The 680 isn't pod shatter so not sure take a risk of letting it rippen or just swath at night or if wet.

Comment

We have some here that came after the late June rain. Possibly forced to swath it or it won't cure out enough to go through machine by October. Days are getting shorter...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...