• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were the Saskatoons good this year?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were the Saskatoons good this year?

I had quite a nice bunch of wild ones but not as many as usual.
    Last edited by parsley; Aug 2, 2023, 09:56. Reason: Spelling

The waxwings were happy.

Comment

Poor here, small, too hot and dry, never filled.

Comment

Saskatoons froze this spring in our area. Hard to find a handful on a whole tree. Most of our crab apple trees froze too. Only the late bloomers will have only a few. Seems to be a trend here. Crab apples used to be a sure thing here. But now that it keeps freezing at night sometimes well into June each year, and we’ve been having snowstorms right up to the May long weekend often, the fruit is very hit and miss. We haven’t had good Saskatoons in years.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
          Poor here, small, too hot and dry, never filled.
          Sorry to hear that. One thing on the farm here is there are two varieties of Saskatoons. As well as a small grove my neighbour purchased for me for my bday as a gift. They don’t have the same full flavour as the wild ones, though.
          1. One of the wild varieties is a consistent yielder; a smaller berry Good robust flavour. Rich color. The berries have a slightly seedy texture and dry quite quickly. They are a blue-purple color. The bushes are medium high with slim central sticks in the clumps.

2. The second variety has larger leaves. Really tall. Thicker posts in the center. If you bend them quickly, they break. The berries develop from a particularly warm purple color. When they are fully ripened, the berries are large; often huge; and become a deep purple with just a hint of red, and then dipped into a transparent white cloud..

The top opening into the berry itself is ruffled, and quite a large ruffle it is. Noticeably! The berries themselves are seedless when they are prime. They’re particularly sweet and their skin is thin. Interestingly, under the skin seems to be a a very meaty berry that fleetingly consists of a whitish/ purple blend The ripe berries are so juicy, they’re a surprise!

They grow facing east.

Theyve only failed to produce a crop for me once when the crop was frozen at a developmental time.

Isn’t nature wonderful ! Pars

Comment

Unbelievable amount of wild blueberries and raspberries this year. Was out picking last night and they come off like g****s...need to grow a little more. Sure were tasty on my cereal this morning!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...