• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beware regenerative agriculture

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
    AB5

Glad you got all that common knowledge fluff off your chest, but how did you arrive at the 20% COP increase number for Dairy farmers?

It's to bad it didn't work out for you regarding the dairy girl, maybe you wouldn't be so envious of Dairy Farmers if it had.
    You’re crusty. Crops looking bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
      You’re crusty. Crops looking bad?
      It’s got nothing to do with crops, it’s all in his head! I’m pretty sure the head shrink tried a fix but it just had gotten worse.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
        AB5

Glad you got all that common knowledge fluff off your chest, but how did you arrive at the 20% COP increase number for Dairy farmers?

It's to bad it didn't work out for you regarding the dairy girl, maybe you wouldn't be so envious of Dairy Farmers if it had.
        As I was saying in the previous post, I don't know why I would bother trying to explain to you the different between supply management in a protected market, versus an industry that needs to compete on the global scale. And as predicted, you ignored all of that, for art incapable of comprehending simple economic concept.
        As for the 20%, that is a random number for the sake of argument. Substitute any positive real number and the outcome will be the same. You cannot add completely unnecessary cost to a business which needs to compete in the global market, and have them remain competitive on that global market. Whereas the protected local market will always be able to pass that on to the unfortunate consumer.

And thank you for your concern about my love life. Yes, it would have been an excellent business decision to have taking her up on the offer. But perhaps I'm a romantic at heart, no regrets.

Comment

You gotta laugh at all the bluster and fear mongering about regenerative ag that it wont feed the world, when 40% of the US corn crop goes to ethanol and significant amount goes to feed just livestock.

And then a large amount of oilseeds, including lots of canola are planned or already used for biodiesel.

If the concern was a a shortage of food and feeding the world, why are so many acres dedicated to fuel and less efficient sources of food like feeding massive amounts of intensively produced livestock primarily for relatively wealthier consumers in developed countries?

The input suppliers and their apologist always talk glowingly about feeding the world. Its a lot of marketing talk but not the whole reality. They are concerned about losing a market for their products.

Gabe Brown is a prime example of how regenerative ag works with high levels of productivity, a focus on soil health and integrating a diversity of approaches, which include reducing pesticide and fertilizer usage.

Which in the end can make more profit.

Does his model fit everywhere? NO but its up to farmers to figure out what works on their particular farm.
          Last edited by chuckChuck; Jul 13, 2023, 07:31.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post

Gabe Brown is a prime example of how regenerative ag works with high levels of productivity, a focus on soil health and integrating a diversity of approaches, which include reducing pesticide and fertilizer usage.

Does his model fit everywhere?
            You missed the part about Gabe Brown utilizing lots of livestock to make his model work. The same useless bureaucrats who are pushing the regenerative low inputs model also want to ban livestock. How do you square that circle?

Comment

Why are so many acres dedicated to fuel? Because we’re constantly being told we need to stop relying on O&G.

Also, crop rotations.

Also, fuel grade is typically feed grade, crops that aren’t necessarily quality enough.

Why feed grain to livestock? Meat is a nutrient dense, healthy option for one.

And again, feed quality grains, not human food grade.

And again, rotation.

Also add in, forages in their various qualities are easier to get and make a good product (meat) with than grains.

Efficiency of intensive ag livestock needs specifying. How are you saying it’s less efficient, transportation? Animal performance? End product? Some ways it’s less efficient. Some it’s more.

Comment

Why are so many acres dedicated to fuel? Because we’re constantly being told we need to stop relying on O&G.

Also, crop rotations.

Also, fuel grade is typically feed grade, crops that aren’t necessarily quality enough.

Why feed grain to livestock? Meat is a nutrient dense, healthy option for one.

And again, feed quality grains, not human food grade.

And again, rotation.

Also add in, forages in their various qualities are easier to get and make a good product (meat) with than grains.

Efficiency of intensive ag livestock needs specifying. How are you saying it’s less efficient, transportation? Animal performance? End product? Some ways it’s less efficient. Some it’s more.
                I don't think Chuck has any familiarity with agriculture. No human is eating the varieties of corn which is being grown to feed livestock and go into ethanol. With the exception of the high fructose corn syrup, and corn oil which humans shouldn't be eating anyways.

Comment

Corn is a big part of the diet of north americans. It has many uses and is a staple in mexican tortillas and diets.

Per acre livestock produce less calories than most food crops.

I am not saying we are going to give up meat and dairy, but if the primary goal is "feeding the world" then how can you justify such large amounts of ethanol and biodiesel as feeding the world?

And nobody is seriously talking about banning livestock production. That's just more right wing conspiracy theory and fear mongering at work.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    You missed the part about Gabe Brown utilizing lots of livestock to make his model work. The same useless bureaucrats who are pushing the regenerative low inputs model also want to ban livestock. How do you square that circle?
                    We custom seed for a neighbour. Government has a program which pays 90% of the cost of seeding what is called a cover crop. My son calls it “shit-mix” lol. Anyway has barley, oats, forage peas, sunflowers, forage canola, a bit of corn, hairy vetch, everything but the kitchen sink and no seed treatment. They recommend no fertilizer. Seeded it last, had some left over fertilizer. Fertilized 3/4 of it. Obvious line down the field. I believe the plan is to cut it for feed and have reqrowth for fall grazing. Because there is no seed treatment there is smut on the barley. It is a good reminder of the benefits of modern agriculture such as seed treatment and fertilizer. Oh and with everything that is in it you can’t spray it of course.

Comment

Corn is a big part of the diet of north americans. It has many uses and is a staple in mexican tortillas and diets.

I am not saying we are going to give up meat and dairy, but if the primary goal is "feeding the world" then how can you justify such large amounts of ethanol and biodiesel as feeding the world?

And nobody is seriously talking about banning livestock production. That's just more right wing conspiracy theory and fear mongering at work.
                      I don’t support feeding the world. Bad goal. Too complex. As for justifying biofuel, why does it need justified? You think farming only produces food? It can’t also provide fuel, clothing, shelter, plastic, fertilizer, employment? Farming can provide anything, as soon as you start trying to make it only do one thing, you’re getting into super monocrop, poor rotation, unhealthy land, area.

I’d also say getting rid of livestock is just as far left wing as it is far right. If not more so.
                      Last edited by Blaithin; Jul 13, 2023, 09:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                        We custom seed for a neighbour. Government has a program which pays 90% of the cost of seeding what is called a cover crop. My son calls it “shit-mix” lol. Anyway has barley, oats, forage peas, sunflowers, forage canola, a bit of corn, hairy vetch, everything but the kitchen sink and no seed treatment. They recommend no fertilizer. Seeded it last, had some left over fertilizer. Fertilized 3/4 of it. Obvious line down the field. I believe the plan is to cut it for feed and have reqrowth for fall grazing. Because there is no seed treatment there is smut on the barley. It is a good reminder of the benefits of modern agriculture such as seed treatment and fertilizer. Oh and with everything that is in it you can’t spray it of course.
                        Let us know how it turns out. That might have been a really good idea considering how the year has gone so far, and the shortage of feed.
                        So what depth do you seed a blend which contains peas and canola and even smaller forage seeds?

Comment

Maybe chuck cant count, but the conspiracy theorists are batting 100% last few yrs.

The govt wants non edible animal agriculture, not commercial livestock. So that means protected bison roaming your land again, if its even still your land.

If all the land was converted to 1/4 forages who the hell would buy all that hay. Or is it not for cutting. Or we export it to palces where people still eat meat.

This is an insane govt. Treat it as such.
                          Last edited by jazz; Jul 13, 2023, 08:38.

Comment

You should go to your local feed mill and pick up a wholesome bucket of dent corn to serve to your family for supper today and let us know how they like it.

Do you think calories are the only measure of value in the food we eat? There are a lot of calories in high fructose corn syrup. And you can get a lot of it from an acre of dent corn.Have you tried living off of that?

Comment

Yum.

And see how long you can live off that and be healthy.

HFCS being about the #1 thing doctors will tell you to eat less of. I’ll explain to them that it has more calories so should be more of diets!

Comment

Yum.

And see how long you can live off that and be healthy.

HFCS being about the #1 thing doctors will tell you to eat less of. I’ll explain to them that it has more calories so should be more of diets!
                                My only experience with trying to eat corn other than the sweet corn we normally consume as humans, was grits. We took a trip and traveled around the Southern States a few years ago. The locals kept raving about how great grits were, and insisted we have some. Disappointed doesn't begin to describe the experience. But maybe Chuck has a better recipe. Hopefully he will let us know.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...