• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rumble in NW Alberta ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rumble in NW Alberta ?

we were drilling a hole there when the last one came right there , think it was in the late 90's
    maybe something to this fracing ?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
      we were drilling a hole there when the last one came right there , think it was in the late 90's
      Earthquakes happen when plates collided or pull away. I don’t buy the argument fracing causes earthquakes of 5.3. How deep they frac 2 km? How deep are quake zones? 60km?

Comment

Was just more curious if anyone actually felt it

Comment

Induced seismic activity definitely occurs, good description of it here and the zone it happens in. It is monthly around here now. I have never felt anything.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/simply-science/new-induced-seismicity-study-fracking-and-earthquakes-western-canada/21672

We always have seismometers in place when we are fraccing.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
            Was just more curious if anyone actually felt it
            I did.

Comment

Quake was 2 km deep so no.

Comment

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/magnitude-5-2-earthquake-reported-010123430.html

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                  Quake was 2 km deep so no.
                  just seems curious , thats all
                  did you have them there when you were young , or were you there
                  we felt that one in apr/01 ,knocked glasses over , rattled dishes etc
                  we were close to a coal mine that they were blasting overburden quite often also

Comment

It is my understanding that we can't create an earthquake from scratch.

But our activities can release the existing built up tensions that would have let go eventually on their own. We just give them the nudge to shift sooner rather than later. Is that accurate?

I don't think the detractors of resoure extraction fully appreciate the amount of energy involved in even a very small earthquake.

Comment

just seems curious , thats all
                      did you have them there when you were young , or were you there
                      we felt that one in apr/01 ,knocked glasses over , rattled dishes etc
                      we were close to a coal mine that they were blasting overburden quite often also
                      21 years ago one in fsj shook the house in rycroft, glass of water swayed back and forth for five minutes. That one was blamed on fracking.

Comment

Dr. Google says there has been 11 quakes of 5 or more in the world in the last week.
                        Maybe just another day at the office?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...