• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lentil and Bean Recipes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lentil and Bean Recipes

Don Loved Lentils and influenced the Lentil Culture that we have enjoyed since 1980. He passed away at 44 from Pancreatic Cancer but left a rendition of this recipe. Today our pot is full.

Hearty Lentil Soup

Start with a meaty ham bone and 2 quarts water. Add about 3/4 cup washed green lentils and 3/4 cup pearl barley. Cook for about 20 minutes. Then add 2 cup diced carrots, 2 cup diced potatoes, lots of celery, parsley and diced onions. Continue cooking for another 1/2 hour. Spice her up with a package of french onion soup, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until creamy-ish (about 20 minutes). Serve topped with shredded mozzarella cheese.

Porridge Molasses Heavy Bread

Cook a pot of Sonny Boy Cereal - Add 1/2 cup shortening, 1/2 cup fancy molasses, 1/3 c honey, salt.
    Start 1 1/2 tsp yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. When it has grown, add to porridge mixture and continue to add flour until dough is a bread consistency (about 2 1/2 cup). Allow to rise 1/2 hour and roll in buttered hands to make buns or bread. You won’t be sorry you tried this concoction.

Bon Appetit.

I have a good pinto bean recipe. Are they grown in Canada?

Comment

Guess you guys don’t care a hill of beans about some hearty fall recipes. 😂👍

Comment

The Sunny Boy bread sounds good. Had muffins but not the bread. I’m no cook so can’t contribute much here but savour these recipes. Always can’t wait for my aunt to make her yearly visit with a sack of flour she ground from my wheat. She makes a dark molasses bread. Yum. I love Borscht and if I want any the Ukrainian restaurant has it in town.

Comment

No answer on if pinto beans are grown anywhere in Canada, but I'm going to give you the recipe anyways.

1 bag pinto beans
          1 large onion, chopped
          2 cloves garlic, miinced
          1/2 lb. bacon, chopped
          1/2 cup ketchup
          1/2 cup BBQ sauce (your choice)
          2/3 cup brown sugar
          1 tsp dry mustard
          1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or more!)
          dash Worcestershire sauce

Wash beans and soak overnight. Drain and add 5 cups of fresh water and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for 1 hour or until tender. Drain and set aside 1/2 cup liquid. Put beans into casserole dish. Fry bacon, onion and garlic. Add to beans along with the fat. Add set aside liquid along with the other ingredients. Cover and bake for 2-3 hours at 250F.

Bon Appetite!

Comment

where are you at ?, if you don't mind me asking

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...