• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

extremely unusual weather

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by checking View Post
    The shrink continues here from the 14th as a slow melt, little runoff, and the bonus of below freezing overnight so that we can pick our spots to load out durum contracts.
    Yup, cold hard mornings, are great for loading/hauling, or getting other jobs done in the yard, without cutting ruts and ripping up the yard. But the slow melt doesn't help free up the drill and some other equipment I'd like to work on.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8A7FDF20-81ED-45A1-867A-BFC749F59527.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	773263
      We are about 3-5 degrees colder than that for the next 10 days
      Still quite a bit of snow

Comment

Our snow gone. Could use a rain.
        Damn cold all week. But how often you see the damn wind blow non stop 20-50 for over 10 days? No wonder pioneers went mad

Comment

can walk on ice in ditches today , apr 13
          normal, right chuck ?

Comment

It is a balmy -10 this morning, with a windchill of -16. Second year in a row that getting frozen ears on newborn calves in April is an issue. Before this latest cold snap the sloughs in the field were starting to soak away, now they are all frozen over. It has been colder in April than it was in March.

Comment

-14 hear with blowing snow
              We are burning up

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                It is a balmy -10 this morning, with a windchill of -16. Second year in a row that getting frozen ears on newborn calves in April is an issue. Before this latest cold snap the sloughs in the field were starting to soak away, now they are all frozen over. It has been colder in April than it was in March.
                If climate changed lived up to it's billing calving season would naturaly move up?
                Around here April 20 start even looking early for large groups.
                Not just this year but this one might be the the one that keeps the bulls away for another week.

Comment

I’ve come to the conclusion start calving February or May. April is the worst month for calving and I like to be 3/4 done by first week of April before the melt and scours.

Comment

-16 here Sunday for a couple days
                    *** idiots and their *** global warming

Comment

Stock waterers froze up here the last couple of days, had to turn them all back on again after having them turned off for the last month and a half without a problem.
                      Having to plug in the tractors and grain truck the last few days. We have been days on end without getting above zero. That rarely happens in the middle of winter around here.

But to be honest, this isn't unusual for April, just hard to handle after such a early mild spring.

And I still haven't figured out when the best time for calving is. Either deal with cold or mud or scours or overlap with seeding, or deal with predators and no facilities and hours searching for missing calves while out on pasture.
                      Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Apr 14, 2022, 12:04.

Comment

But is our growing season not at least a month longer now ? Should have no worries

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                          I’ve come to the conclusion start calving February or May. April is the worst month for calving and I like to be 3/4 done by first week of April before the melt and scours.
                          When I had cattle, I would start calving first week of February. Now keep in mind I never had a large herd, so i could rotate them easily into closed confines for calving. I just felt it was better to be done before the muck and or crappy wet weather, and also not to interfere with my seeding. When you are by yourself you can only concentrate on so much to be effective.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                            -16 here Sunday for a couple days
                            *** idiots and their *** global warming
                            Unusually cold for April for sure.

But climate is measured over at least 30 years. Weather is what happens in a day, week month. And as we know northern continental climates are the land of extremes.

So one winter storm in April and a cold spell doesn't tell the story for 30 years of climates does it?

Comment

But but but...,
                              This thread was started because of one supposed warm day somewhere in the Arctic where no one could verify it

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                                But but but...,
                                This thread was started because of one supposed warm day somewhere in the Arctic where no one could verify it
                                Not sure why Chuck was so late to the party. I summoned him almost a month ago back in post number 25. I expected Chuck to be berating and lecturing DML for cherry picking individual weather events and pretending they represent climate. For some reason those two never ever critique each other's work, but as soon as someone else talked about the weather, Chuck was quick to point out that weather is not climate.
                                Hypocrites of the highest order
                                Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Apr 15, 2022, 09:27.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...