• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The spectre of Donald Trump hangs over the federal Conservative leadership race

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-spectre-of-donald-trump-hangs-over-the-federal-conservative/

Gary Mason

National affairs columnist
    Published Yesterday

Donald Trump has been generating headlines over his views on the war in Ukraine.

Early on, the former U.S. president had characterized Russian President Vladimir Putin’s tactical decisions as “genius,” and ones he greatly admired. More recently, he told Fox host and Trump admiratrice, Jeanine Pirro, that there was a “lot of love,” behind Mr. Putin’s decision to make “his country larger.”

This, despite the fact Mr. Putin has overseen the indiscriminate slaughter of hundreds, if not thousands of innocent Ukrainians, including children – certain war crimes for which Russia must be held to account.

That a loathsome heel like Mr. Trump would hold such contemptible views should not surprise us. That there is steadfast support for the man among those who identify as supporters of Canada’s main Opposition party should concern us all.

A poll by Leger taken between March 4 and 6 asked the hypothetical question: If you could vote in the next U.S. presidential election, would you vote for President Joe Biden or Mr. Trump? Among people who identified as supporters of the federal Conservative Party of Canada, 56 per cent said Mr. Biden, but an astounding 44 per cent said Mr. Trump.

This, despite Mr. Trump’s admiration for dictators, his penchant for lying, his applause for Mr. Putin’s foray into Ukraine and his complicity in the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol, among other things.

Which brings us to the Conservative party’s current leadership race.

It is pretty clear that the party is as divided as ever. It’s equally evident where the main combatants intend to fish for votes: Pierre Poilievre is casting his line in waters occupied by the more right-wing elements of the party, in many respects the CPC’s base, while former federal Progressive Conservative Party leader Jean Charest and Brampton, Ont., Mayor Patrick Brown intend to look for votes among moderates. (Yes, there are others in the race but unless another big name enters the fray, these are the three we will most likely be talking about until the vote on Sept. 10.)

Already, Mr. Poilievre and his campaign team have signalled they have come to play, with hard-hitting ads that attempt to define both Mr. Charest and Mr. Brown as policy flip-floppers who will betray the party grassroots. It’s a charge that detractors of Erin O’Toole used effectively to undermine and ultimately end his leadership. It may be a deadly weapon for Mr. Poilievre as well.

Ultimately, it will come down to what type of person party supporters want as their flag-bearer: a centrist conservative such as Mr. Charest or Mr. Brown? Or a slick, take-no-prisoners, loose-with-the-facts populist like Mr. Poilievre, who will move the party to the ideological right?

Make no mistake: Mr. Poilievre is going after those CPC supporters who would pick a Trump ticket over a Biden one. If you’re looking for them, many can be found at any of these pop-up “freedom” rallies you see across the country. They were the ones flying Trump flags at the trucker convoy that squatted in the city of Ottawa for three weeks before being forced out. It’s why Mr. Poilievre reached out to them to offer his encouragement and support at the time, despite the havoc and hardship they were causing to residents of the capital.

A large percentage of these folks can be found in Alberta and Saskatchewan, two provinces Mr. Poilievre hopes to own come the convention. He likely will. His angry, divisive style of politics sells well on the Prairies, where hatred for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau runs high. Mr. Poilievre is happy to stoke and foment that dissent even if it entails propagating ridiculous conspiracy theories – another page he’s ripped out of the Trump playbook.

Mr. Poilievre’s latest is spreading spurious claims about the World Economic Forum (which Mr. Trudeau and Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland have attended), characterizing it as a cabal of elites conjuring a world in which the little people own nothing and learn to be happy with it.

“Maybe that’s why the [federal] government is inflating home prices,” Mr. Poilievre suggests in a campaign video.

This is not only dishonest, it’s also dangerous – these tactics are precisely why we see the rage that we do in many parts of the country.

Given the starkly different views that the two main camps in this race represent (Mr. Brown and/or Mr. Charest vs. Mr. Poilievre), it’s difficult to say what the CPC will look like once the dust settles. Are the more mainstream, temperate party members going to be okay with someone like Mr. Poilievre, who seems increasingly comfortable resorting to the type of dishonest, coercive methods for which Republicans south of the border have become known?

The choice in this leadership contest is so stark it’s reasonable to ask: can the CPC survive once it’s all over?
    Last edited by chuckChuck; Mar 16, 2022, 07:53.

Polly is courting Trump supporters and the hard right wing of the CPC. Its going to be interesting to watch the Trump wing of the CPC blow up the the fragile coalition of Conservtive voters

Its not surprising then that the usual suspects on Agrisilly get so upset when I post some satire that it is critical of Trump and his relationship with Putin. Trump is still praising Putin even after he has been committing war crimes attacking and killing children and soon to be mothers indiscriminately.

That poll that showed that 44% of those polled who identified as Conservative supporters would vote for Trump if they had the option of voting in the US should be a wake up call to everyone that we are not dealing with rational voters who will choose a leader that will lead with character and conscience.

Click image for larger version

Name:	putin-trump-helsinki-meeting-funny-reactions-31-5b4f3510335db__700.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	773209

Comment

Rather than charge at multiple red flags, I'll ask a question.
      He does have a couple flags himself, but what's your opinion of Maxime Bernier?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
        Rather than charge at multiple red flags, I'll ask a question.
        He does have a couple flags himself, but what's your opinion of Maxime Bernier?
        A sore loser who doesn't appeal to many voters. The Pandemic Party of Canada who courts the antivaxers and anti healthcare voters who don't believe in community responsibility in the middle of a pandemic that would have killed thousands more without vaccines and covid restrictions.
        Last edited by chuckChuck; Mar 16, 2022, 08:18.

Comment

Keep it coming. I want to hear about all the wonderful things Biden has done to make things better for the American people?

Comment

First lets deal with Trumps shortcomings which are many. Including his insane praise for Putin and the invasion of the Ukraine. You going going to defend that?

Bidens not great but he is a hell of a lot better than Trump. And in the poll I mentioned, 55% of identified Canadian Conservative voters think the same and would vote for Biden over Trump.

If Polly is going to praise and act like Trump he will lose a national election badly and deservedly so.
            Last edited by chuckChuck; Mar 16, 2022, 09:20.

Comment

Don’t know nothing about Trump praisling Putin. Maybe he has in the past and someone is trying to false flag it for now. Seen so much of that from the left along with fake news. If you think The USA is in better hands with Biden You should be able to tell us what he has done to better it.

Comment

I also seen polls that tell a much different story

Comment

If there was only 2 boxes one for Trump and one for Biden I don't think you need a survey to know where that is going in western Canada.
                  Putin spin will have minimal to no effect on results.

Biden looks more incompetent than JT and Harris is a Clown show.

The US has midterms coming that will make him harmless.
                  We sorely need something similar.

Comment

Rather than fixate on those who will never be elected, and there %of stupid.
                    I submit that in the case of PPC, a large portion of Western Canada supports 80% of his platform. Yes, 20% is stupid.
                    If only we focused on JTs stupid as much.

Comment

Here comes Chuck2 again trying to draw posters into making a comment he can attack, insult and call us racist. First off I didn’t read the article but I will respond to the title. The only reason Trump is connected to the Conservative party of Canada is because of the media. It isn’t policy because Conservatives are interested in free trade, Donald Trump was interesting in increasing tariffs and restricting trade. Donald Trump was a free spender who increased the U.S. debt, the Conservative party of Canada is interested n reining in government spending. Now as a farmer I think there are many risks to my future success, probably the greatest is the affordability of the energy I need to successfully operate and how the price and availability of that energy affects my cost of doing business as well as the taxation policies related to that energy. Politicians like Biden and Trudeau will in my opinion make farming in the future more difficult and less profitable. Enjoy your day Chuck2 and LOL!

Comment

Comment

The poor rabid dog can’t find anyone to spar with
                          On a lighter note , lefty’s are scared shitless of Pierre tho

Comment

I am cheering Polly on because if he wins the leadership he will likely lose the next election which is fine by me.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                              I am cheering Polly on because if he wins the leadership he will likely lose the next election which is fine by me.
                              A few days ago you said some ill words about JT. Now you are wishing for the opposition to lose next time, which would imply that you are still cheering for the child to win again. Perhaps it is time to put your ideologies aside and cheer for what is best for the country, not your ego.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...