• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making ethanol from corn is the least efficient use of farmland

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    What have I been telling Chuck all along?
    That solar power, when the sun is shining, above a certain ( very low) penetration, is less than worthless.
    It’s why you have to go to battery nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Landdownunder View Post
      Except, as we have been discussing regularly, there is no cost effective, scalable battery technology, and it is only getting worse, as battery costs keep increasing. Last peer reviewed study I saw indicated that battery technology has to get cheaper by 10 times before it will be a viable alternative for existing fossil fuel generation.

Comment

Its interesting to see that parts of Australia and Alberta are paying about the same for electricity.

Batteries aren't the only storage system option. There is pumped hydro, compressed air, and lifted weight storage.

So the problem is we have too much energy at times and not enough at other times and there will never be a way to manage this?

So an interconnected smart grid system that uses hydro and and maybe nuclear baseload along with solar, wind, and wave will never work?

The coming EV revolution and increased electricity demand will most certainly allow for a lot of excess solar to be stored in EV batteries for transportation.

If I ever had to pay to out excess solar power into the grid I would just find a way to use that excess power. It could be used to heat or cool water which could be used to heat or cool a building depending on the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Landdownunder View Post
          Coal is a battery, it was solar energy made millions of years ago and is in battery form now.
          Last edited by TSIPP; Apr 3, 2022, 12:01.

Comment

Will coal drive your cordless impact wrench or phone?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
              Its interesting to see that parts of Australia and Alberta are paying about the same for electricity.

Batteries aren't the only storage system option. There is pumped hydro, compressed air, and lifted weight storage.

So the problem is we have too much energy at times and not enough at other times and there will never be a way to manage this?

So an interconnected smart grid system that uses hydro and and maybe nuclear baseload along with solar, wind, and wave will never work?

The coming EV revolution and increased electricity demand will most certainly allow for a lot of excess solar to be stored in EV batteries for transportation.

If I ever had to pay to out excess solar power into the grid I would just find a way to use that excess power. It could be used to heat or cool water which could be used to heat or cool a building depending on the season.

Yes Chuck2 in Alberta we would pay rates similar to Queensland and Victoria, the 2 lowest prices posted.

As for your assertion that excess energy could be stored in EV’s. Most people travel to work during the day. So will every vehicle need to have access to an electric charger at work during the day for this to work?
              I still think your argument that people reduce the useful lifespan of their EV by being expected to absorb excess solar energy and then put it back in the grid at night makes no sense. How will they be reimbursed for this shortened battery life?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                Yes Chuck2 in Alberta we would pay rates similar to Queensland and Victoria, the 2 lowest prices posted.

As for your assertion that excess energy could be stored in EV’s. Most people travel to work during the day. So will every vehicle need to have access to an electric charger at work during the day for this to work?
                I still think your argument that people reduce the useful lifespan of their EV by being expected to absorb excess solar energy and then put it back in the grid at night makes no sense. How will they be reimbursed for this shortened battery life?
                Storage for transportation is the primary goal. A second benefit may be backup. Ford is certainly offering this.

And of course people can charge their EVs at work providing the infrastructure is in place. Most cars sit and do nothing most of the day.

For shorter city commutes the amount of stored electricity needed is relatively small.

"The battery’s kWh rating measures how many hours it can deliver its power, but that’s based on standard tests, rather than what the car may actually use in real-world driving. When cruising, an electric car generally uses 1 kWh of energy to travel approximately 4.8 to 6.4 kilometres (three to four miles). With a Tesla Model S, its 100-kWh battery can continuously deliver 100 kW for one hour, and the car uses 1 kWh of energy to go 6.4 kilometres. Multiply 100 kWh by 6.4, and you get the car’s estimated range of about 640 kilometres on a charge."
                https://driving.ca/column/how-it-works/how-it-works-making-sense-of-ev-specifications
                Last edited by chuckChuck; Apr 3, 2022, 09:24.

Comment

honest question;
                  Can solar panels be shut off ?
                  Or does that excess power have to be sent somewhere ??

Comment

Will coal drive your cordless impact wrench or phone?
                    Yes,,, Yes it will,,, Yes it does, because burning coal is being used to heat water, create steam, spin turbines, that generate electricity. That very electricity will charge the battery for my wrench and charge my phone,,, and it will do so, day or night, sunny or cloudy or rainy or blizzardy, whether it's windy or calm or hurricane force wind. It will power my tools and phone during a snow storm that leave 2'' of snow or 12'' of snow, or freezing rain with half inch of ice covering everything.

In fact right now,,, not only is coal being used to charge my wrench and my phone,,, coal is also being used to charge someone's Electric Vehicle!

Comment

The whole EV powered by solar is available now.
                      We just need bigger subsidies to make it work.
                      They can see there the typical gas station type refuel/charge won't be of use as even the quickest charge times will cause delays and lineups.
                      Currently there is a pod solar/battery storage setup being sold to goberment funded places like hospitals and universities or any large government employer.
                      https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a35447887/solar-powered-charging-stations-are-vital-to-promoting-evs/

Off grid. Just drop it in the parking lot ready to go. The 85K price kind of limits it to government funded but there it is. Providing FREE charging at work.
                      Everything can be done. Just needs more "Funding".

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
                        Yes,,, Yes it will,,, Yes it does, because burning coal is being used to heat water, create steam, spin turbines, that generate electricity. That very electricity will charge the battery for my wrench and charge my phone,,, and it will do so, day or night, sunny or cloudy or rainy or blizzardy, whether it's windy or calm or hurricane force wind. It will power my tools and phone during a snow storm that leave 2'' of snow or 12'' of snow, or freezing rain with half inch of ice covering everything.

In fact right now,,, not only is coal being used to charge my wrench and my phone,,, coal is also being used to charge someone's Electric Vehicle!
                        Coal is also a part of the production of solar panels. With our government decreeing all new automobile sales be EV by 2035 and in light of the mess our world is in it is downright reckless.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                          Coal is also a part of the production of solar panels. With our government decreeing all new automobile sales be EV by 2035 and in light of the mess our world is in it is downright reckless.
                          My advice, invest in coal and natural gas companies and futures.
                          Demand will only go up as we transition away from a carbon economy.
                          And I'm sure the proponents don't see any irony in that.

Comment

Invest in coal! Huh? Good luck with that as provinces move away from coal for electricity. Coal is only 8% of our electricity. source.

Canada already produces over 80% of its electricity from low carbon emission sources. Gas will replace most coal in the transition which is a 50% savings in carbon emissions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cnd-fg02-lg-eng.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	773247

Comment

Invest in coal! Huh? Good luck with that as provinces move away from coal for electricity. Coal is only 8% of our electricity. source.

Canada already produces over 80% of its electricity from low carbon emission sources. Gas will replace most coal in the transition which is a 50% savings in carbon emissions.

[ATTACH]10413[/ATTACH]
                              Does the world end at Canada's borders?

How successful was Germany's green transition? Have been able to tell Russia where to stick their natural gas, and close all of their coal plants permanently thanks to alternative energy?

Comment

Coal went from about $50 tonne pre pandemic to over $200. Prices never seen before.
                                Lots of new demand from the 1/2 of the world that is expanding their economies.
                                More new coal power plants being built every day.
                                Won't see much about it on Justin's Cheerleaders Broadcasters

We are the Winners!

Stay enthusiastic there Chuck!
                                Last edited by shtferbrains; Apr 4, 2022, 10:25.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...