• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Independent

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if the farmer of today has to act more like a business person and at least think about marketing and where the products are going to go so that he/she can capture more of the value and get away from being a price taker?

The time may have come for us to shift our thinking of the traditional definition for a farmer/producer.

Comment

The future of the industry is still bright for those that want to see it! Some folks will not make it in these times but not for the lack of trying! It's fine to be independent, but many of the primary producers in Canada have in the past few months been given the wake up call! There are people in every component of the supply chain that are ready and willing to set up the system that bridges the information gaps that hold us all apart! The pieces are being put together, but keep in mind it is very challenging to say the least when even those folks that want to think outside the box are skeptical of those that do! (And rightfully so) Those people that are skeptical and verbal about it, should be prepared to make whatever plan is on the table better! Don't be jumping up and down that some ones work is not good enough unless you are prepared to jump on board and help out! Or is this the wrong way of thinking?

Comment

Value chain - what specifically are you referring to in your statement about people needing to put ideas on the table if they are skeptical? I'm trying to understand where you are coming from.

Comment

valuechain: While I support what you are trying to achieve and do believe the process can capture more profit for the primary producer, I still believe there is a problem with the amount of pie to be sliced up. Food prices are quite frankly not high enough to cover the increases in the input costs. And I really don't see that changing.
          Consider if we do have a new gen co-op and recover more of the profit. That steak or roast can only rise so far and then in comes the foreign beef? The cheap food policy is very real although not written down anywhere! The politicians won't allow food to rise beyond a certain level...they can't, they'd get booted out of their cushy jobs?
          I don't want to rain on your parade! What you are doing is a good thing that will delay the the day of reckoning. But that day must come and all people in Canada must answer the question...Do we see any value in keeping a viable agricultural industry and are we prepared to pay for it? Because quite frankly this cost/price squeeze is squeezing the lifeblood out of agriculture in this country. And maybe if the Canadian public believes we are not useful or of some value then agriculture should cease in this country?

Comment

cakadu at the moment the industry is in obvious turmoil! That puts' it lightly! We have spent countless hours in meetings with government, producers, and every segment of the supply chain as well as supporters of our supply chain! What we have experienced in many cases is that the off the record meetings have revealed that some of our most talented people in the industry say one thing in private and other things in public that influence our choices! This should come as no surprise to anyone as we all know that goes on! We talk about cooperation and moving the industry in one direction than we will all have to provide the input to do it!
            I look at folks like cowman and see the years of experience and knowledge behind his thought process and also see he has probably been "Burnt" more than once. I read your words and see that the struggles you have gone through have added to your knowledge base! So you are the very people that by virtue of your experience and knowledge should be looking at some of these new industry plans and providing input! I really do appreciate the input you provide here but also believe it has value in molding the model of the future!
            To touch base on what cowman referred to as a cost/price thing in Canada. I would totally agree with you if all I provided is what I think is a commodity product (A product that can be mass produced on an assembly line) however, many Canadian products are looked at as a superior product and the price points can go up with each value added input! Even the big guys know this to be true, but some products just do not work in their systems! But they will in ours, it's my opinion that corporations moved the agriculture infrastructure to the city and now the agriculture industry is paying for it! Just my opinion and thoughts.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...