• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Matter With Canada? HOW THE WORLD'S NICEST COUNTRY TURNED MEAN.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the Matter With Canada? HOW THE WORLD'S NICEST COUNTRY TURNED MEAN.

How the Americans view Canada today...
    http://www.slate.com/id/2199929/

What's the Matter With Canada?HOW THE WORLD'S NICEST COUNTRY TURNED MEAN.
    By Christopher Flavelle

Last Sunday, news came that Canada—sensible, quiet, some would even say boring Canada—will hold an election on Oct. 14, its third in four years. Those outside the country may wonder what the problem is; in Canada, after all, health care is free, the dollar is strong, same-sex marriage is legal, and the government had the good sense to stay out of Iraq. You might think of Canada as the un-America, where the only debate ought to be whether to spend the country's growing oil wealth on faster snowmobiles, bigger hockey rinks, or Anne Murray box sets.
    But beneath the calm exterior, Canada's political system is in turmoil. Since 2004, a succession of unstable minority governments has led to a constant campaign frenzy, brutalizing Canada's once-broad political consensus and producing a series of policies at odds with the country's socially liberal, fiscally conservative identity. Canada is quietly becoming a political basket case, and this latest election may make things even worse.
    Just scan the headlines. In June, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development warned that Canada—for years the only G8 country to post regular budget surpluses—was likely to fall into deficit this year, thanks to a reckless cut to the national sales tax. In February, the government proposed denying funding to films and TV shows whose content it deemed "not in the public interest," sparking cries of censorship from a sector that has historically received public support. In 2007, a member of the governing Conservative Party proposed a bill that would reopen the debate over abortion, a topic that governments both liberal and conservative have avoided for decades.

The country is projecting its uncharacteristic behavior abroad as well. After decades of encouraging countries to increase their foreign-aid spending, Canada cut its own, from 0.34 percent of GDP in 2005 to just 0.2 percent last year. Long a beacon of human rights, Ottawa announced last fall that it would stop advocating on behalf of Canadians sentenced to death in other countries. And Canada is now the only Western country that still has one of its citizens held in Guantanamo, but Ottawa has refused to press for his release.
    But nowhere is the rift between the old and new Canada more apparent than with regards to the environment. Canada was an early and enthusiastic supporter of the fight against climate change, and as recently as 2005 it was the Canadian environment minister who helped broker an agreement to extend the Kyoto Protocol beyond 2012. Then last December, at a U.N. conference in Bali to negotiate a successor to Kyoto, Canada executed a neat 180-degree turn, trying to block an agreement that set a target for future cuts to greenhouse-gas emissions. Of the 190 countries at the conference, only Russia supported Canada's position.
    Left-leaning Canadians blame the country's predicament on the current Conservative government, which was first elected two years ago. They're right, to a point. The Conservative Party, formed five years ago in a merger of the country's two right-wing parties, is Canada's first experience with an anti-government, socially conservative party in the mold of Reagan-Bush Republicans. Its leader, Stephen Harper, who is now the prime minister, once called Canada "a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term."
    But the Conservative Party wouldn't be in power, let alone willing to risk such divisive policies, were it not for the collapse of the country's most formidable political institution, the Liberal Party of Canada. The Liberals have been Canada's left-wing standard-bearers since the country's independence in 1867. And just as Canada's right-wing parties were coming together, the Liberal Party was coming apart.
    In early 2004, Canada's auditor-general found that under the Liberal government, public funds intended to promote the federal government in the province of Quebec had been diverted toward advertising companies connected to the Liberal Party in the form of inflated payments. In response, the prime minister called a public inquiry, which only prolonged the controversy.
    In the 2004 election, the Liberal government was reduced from a majority to a minority. Nineteen months later, it lost power entirely, and the party's leader resigned. The Liberals then embarked on a long, fractious leadership campaign—leaving the party exhausted and broke, and tempting the governing Conservatives to introduce ever more draconian policies with little fear of the consequences.
    As the Liberals work on rebuilding, Canada's other left-wing party, the New Democratic Party, has grown at their expense; the Green Party, long a fringe movement in Canada, gained its first member of parliament when an independent MP joined the Greens; and the Bloc Québécois, which shares many Liberal positions but advocates for Quebec's independence, remains a force in that province. The Conservatives may not represent the views of most Canadians, but with four parties fighting for the left-wing vote, the Conservatives might win simply by sliding up the middle.
    Italians and Israelis may have learned how to function under minority governments, but Canadians are still working on it. If the current election ends in a third consecutive minority government, the polarization of Canadian politics will continue, and with it the brutal, zero-sum politicking that has left the country in convulsions.
    If the last week is any indication, that polarization is only getting worse. On Sunday morning, Prime Minister Harper began the race by predicting "a very nasty kind of personal-attack campaign." Two days later, his party briefly released an ad that showed a bird defecating on the leader of the Liberal Party. So much for Canadians being nice.

Christopher Flavelle - “previously a speechwriter for Stéphane Dion, leader of the Liberal Party of Canada”

Nope, no bias here.

Comment

You can almost taste the hatred of the conservative party in that piece.

The left can't stand not having control of the tax purse or peoples lives.

Comment

Christopher Flavelle was chief speechwriter to Liberal leader Stephane Dion before moving to New York City to start a master's in international affairs at Columbia. He was a writer for Howard Dean's presidential campaign in 2003-04, an assistant editor at The Walrus, and senior communications advisor to the Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs in Ontario’s McGuinty government. He once ran a bar in Kyrgyzstan.

For that matter Elizabeth May worked for the Mulroney Government, does that mean she speaks for the Conservatives today?

The article does contain some interesting comments, for instance “But the Conservative Party wouldn't be in power, let alone willing to risk such divisive policies, were it not for the collapse of the country's most formidable political institution, the Liberal Party of Canada.” It could be argued that the Conservative Party would not be in power if it were not for the Bloc.

If a minority Harper government turned the world's nicest country mean, just watch out what will happen if Harper gains a majority.

Comment

That is one heck of a lot less scary than a Dion or Layton government !!!

Comment

I agree that the other choices are not great either.

I have to keep reminding myself that what I think does not matter here in Alberta, the election is a foregone conclusion. But maybe what needs to happen is we have to demand more of the good people we send to Ottawa even if they are backbenchers and not leave everything up to a few at the top.

I think that people believe what they want to believe and people here in Alberta want to believe the Conservatives share their beliefs and values. What I see with today's Conservatives is a very mean and nasty party that is a poodle for the Americans. That is not the Conservative party I grew up with, or maybe it is when I think of Diefenbaker and the Avro Arrow.

But for certain there is no clear good choice and I think we will see quite a few protest votes or a low voter turnout. The election is really being fought in swing ridings in Ontario and British Colubia anyway. Hard to tell there is even an election here in Alberta. I see the national poll results on TV but the poll results that will predict the outcome of the election are how the swing ridings are leaning and I have not seen much of those. The election will not be decided in Alerta or Newfoundland for that matter.

Comment

I think that Alberta should be a bit more selective in the candidates they elect regardless of the party. I find that SOME of the Members of Parliament are getting far too complacent, almost like they have an entitlement to their position, and that is never a good thing for society.

I don't like negative advertising or smear campaigns regardless of who is doing it. I feel that good decisions by the party in power shoudl be what gets them elected for subsequent terms of office, not the way they bash their opposition.
              The Klein government used to delight in bashing the opposition, but I am seeing a much more inclusive attitude Provincially now.

One thing I like about municipal politics is that the public usually makes short work of local politicians wo indulge in a nasty style of politics.

Comment

Please list for us what mean and horrible things will be done by a Conservative majority FS.

Please also make a list of the mean and horrible things they have done with this minority just past.

Thanks.

Comment

Personally, I do not see the Conservatives as mean and nasty. I do think there is the tendancy by some Alberta MP's to take their re-election for granted.
                  I am disappointed that Alberta does not seem to be on the party's radar screen in this campaign, too much focus on Ontario and Quebec.
                  Harper just handed billions in infrastructure money to Quebec, which smacks of vote wooing to me !!

Alberta has been the engine that has driven the country's economy for several years, and one would think that it would rate at least the odd visit by Cabinet ministers and the Prime Minister.

I always feel that some opposition is a good thing and keeps the party in power on their toes. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if there were one or two oppposition MP's elected in Alberta, then we may not be taken for granted !

Comment

Coppertop: I agree. The Conservatives take Alberta’s vote for granted. We not only see that in dollars going to Quebec and Ontario but back home it shows up in the way that the Conservatives supported supply management and traded off opportunities to see Alberta beef internationally both at the WTO and in FTAs.

Silverback: Mean and nasty? Some things I see that concern me:

Ritz’s remarks about Listeriosis and Wayne Easter, kind of mean and nasty, certainly not fitting of a federal minister. Shouldn’t the title Honourable mean something?

FCC has been changed so you will not get a loan if you are not the Conservatives friend. That is pretty mean and nasty and should concern all rural Albertans.

To the extent that the Bush government is pretty mean and nasty and seeing how the Conservatives have fallen in bed with Bush’s policies at every opportunity tars them with the same brush.

I know that cutbacks in foreign aid and support for the arts are not burning issues in rural Canada but there are people even in rural Alberta who are charitable and appreciate some culture beyond a beer at the local bar. Canada could afford to do more and the cutbacks are mean and nasty, even cheap.

Comment

Our Member of Parliament is always front and centre prior to an election, but due to the lack of interest in this election he and any candidate for that matter are nowhere to be seen.
                      There isn't enough interest locally to arrange a candidate's forum !!
                      Some local beef producers, myself included, sat down with our MP last spring to discuss the crisis in the beef industry, and his response was that it was just a market correction ! The Conservative party protects their MP's by making it very difficult for anyone to challenge them for a party nomination, so getting new blood in the party is difficult until members retire.
                      I don't think any of the opposition parties offer us a better choice so I guess Conservatives will rule once again in Alberta. If the party doesn't make too many more gaffes I have a hunch they will end up with a slim majority Canada wide.

Comment

I would like to make a correction to your original post Farmer's Son. The Liberal are not a Left Wing Party, they are a Centrist Party. "Campaign like New Democrats and rule Like Conservatives." There is only one serious Left Party, the New Democrats. The Greens are also Centrist on all but, the Environment. If their is one thing I know almost as much about as Landowner rights its politics; that's why I am apolitical, I vote on the single most important issue to me at the time based on the party or the candidate's position on it. This time its global warming so it makes me an ABC voter; Anybody But Conservative. I don't like their Ag. policies much either, but thats secondary.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...