• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Private Members Bill - Health Membership Credits

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Members Bill - Health Membership Credits

Is it just me, or is there an ever growing disconnect between the haves and the have nots in this province (AB)?

The priviate members bill being introduced by the MLA who is the only person in Canada to have scaled Everest twice (not a cheap endeavour I'm sure) is going to allow for up to a $1500 tax credit for any kind of membership in a healthy activity.

Now, I'm trying to repress the cynic in me and at first blush this seems like a good idea. It is even being touted as an incentive for lower income folks to join clubs that promote healthy activities. Forgive me, but the person making $10/hr isn't going to have a membership in anything, so how on earth will they ever have opportunity to take the tax credit? What about the folks who buy memberships in gyms etc. because it is the thing to talk about around the water cooler and then they never darken the door of the gym?

What about just going for a walk around the block - or is that so passe that no one will do it anymore?

The Bill would make more sense if it gave lower income families breaks to attend gyms, swimming pools etc and paid for kids to participate in group sports. People who can afford to go to the gym don't really need the break do they?

I have a home gym, which I paid for, and use daily, as do many others. This bill makes no sense whatsoever because it only rewards people living near gyms, and who have the wherewithall to pay memberships.
    My neighbours walk four miles every night even in the dead of winter.....the membership in their GYM is decent footwear and the energy to put one foot in front of the other.

Let's write to our MLA and let them know we think this bill should reward all Albertans who have an excercise program...not just those who can afford expensive memberships in gyms and fitness clubs.

Comment

The proposed Bill will go nowhere. Don't worry about it.

Comment

I hope you're right, the idea behind it is an honorable one, to encourage Albertan's to keep fit, but the logistics just won't cut it for the average Albertan.

Comment

Wonder what will happen healthwise now that the regional health alliances are now finished.

It may have been a good idea to disband them - there were so many questionable things about them, but doing it without an actual plan to replace it may have been a bit premature?????

They interviewed the chair of our HR right after they disbanded them and she was some upset, which I suppose is the expected response.

Comment

I woudl imagine that all the chairs of health regions would be upset, given that their positions were terminated along with their honorariums !!! I think there was a plan, it has been in place waiting for this government to get the mandate they needed to move forward. That is why Ron Liepert was appointed Health Minister. He is tough enough to move difficult legislation forward.
            The entire health authorities issue has been a miserable failure, and hasn't saved a penny in the delivery of health care.
            We were better served with our local hospital boards for years. The increased bureaucracy, has taken millions of dollars out of delivery of health care to patients and into administration.
            I have seen what has happened in our local hospital since the health regions were formed. We have a lack of nursing staff, beds closed, and more and more common areas turned into offices for additional admin staff.
            The last straw in my opinion was moving the dining area for long term residents out of the bright, airy comfortable room into a back corner of long term care so the former area could be used for, you guessed it, more offices for admin staff who wanted the sky lights vs allowing the fragile residents the luxury of enjoying the sunlight !!!

Comment

I agree with you coppertop...the whole Health Authority experience was a bust. Local Boards worked...the LHAs were put in place to give control to the 'political' bosses. this was certainly true in our area. Ever darned rep or official was a card carrying Tory, many of them quite well off as well.

Health concerns for locals meant nothing as pleasing the greater cause...what the government wanted, was the main objective.

Anyway, the new system is going to be another bunch of BS where patronage rewards are already becoming evident with the temp board appointments.

Comment

I'm curious to know what tough legislation you're referring to, coppertop. Lord help us if it is the legislation to privatize and create the two-tiered system.

I don't disagree with your comments about how much money the RHA's consumed,not the least of which were some fairly hefty salaries for folks.

My one hope is that the rural voices don't get drowned out by the two major centres. It would be a real shame to see more go to Edm/Cal than for rural/regional issues and concerns.

Comment

The legislative decision to disband the health region boards, was what I was referring to Linda. I think Albertans need to give this time, and see what will happen. Those who are speaking out against it at this point are former chairs of health regions, plus the nurses union, who may, or may not speak for the nurses on the front lines.

There all ready are private clinics, private MRI clinics etc. I go to a private holistic clinic which I pay for myself, so I see no problem if we do have private clinics where people can pay for their health care outside the health care system, as long as they aren't jumping cues and getting treatment before those who cannot afford to pay for private care.

Comment

Coppertop are you refering to the same plan Dr West implemented like the power SNAFU?

Comment

Horse: What SNAFU would that be? Would that be the one that caused my power bill to go from $60.00 a month to today's $115.00 a month?

With this new suggested "health" scheme, if your income tax is too high, you just join a club and exercise until the government credits bring it down. What a load of crap.

Comment

Deregulation of power is a completely different matter. We have always paid power based on consumption, and we all know deregulation of power has been a total disaster.
                        How it equates to health care is beyond me, we have never paid for health care services based on consumption, sihce we have had health care in this country !!!

Comment

Of course they are two entirely different matters.

I believe that Horse is worried that any new health initiative will result in a negative impact on us consumers of health services much like the negative outcome from the stupid "power deregulation", cooked up by Dr. West et al.

Reform does not always equate with a better outcome and sometimes does irreparable damage.

This whole foolishness of "health credits", is just that...foolishness, and should be scrapped before it even hits the Legislative Assembly.

Comment

Nice dodge coppertop but I think we can all agree on the comparison to power!!! deregulation and the direction of this Gov that you seem so hell bent on protecting But I guess we all also know who butters your bread.

Comment

horse,I don't know what you are insinuating about 'buttering my bread'. I do not work for the government, nor am I in any way associated with the provincial government, however I am SMART enough to know that the delivery of health care cannot continue the way it has over last few years.
                              Regional Health Authorities was a mistake from the get go, administration costs have ballooned beyond comprehension.
                              If this new direction by the province results in a more streamlined approach that is better for the users of health care, then it will be a vast improvement.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...