• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's all in a definition

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all in a definition

Grassfarmer, when I saw this article, I thought of you and wondered what you would think of it. Sometimes in trying to define something even more confusion is caused.

Grass-fed beef
    04.sep.06
    Associated Press
    Libby Quaid
    WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Agriculture Department has, according to this story, proposed a standard for grass-fed meat that doesn't say animals need pasture and that broadly defines grass to include things like leftovers from harvested crops.
    Patricia Whisnant, a Missouri rancher who heads the American Grassfed Association, was quoted as saying, "In the eye of the consumer, grass-fed is tied to open pasture-raised animals, not confinement or feedlot animals. In the consumer's eye, you're going to lose the integrity of what the term 'grass-fed' means."
    The story explains that all beef cattle graze on grass at the beginning of their lives. The difference generally is that grass-fed beef herds graze in pastures, while conventional cattle spend the last three or four months of their lives being fattened with corn or other grains in feedlots.
    The story adds that people buy grass-fed beef for many reasons: They want to avoid antibiotics commonly used in feedlots, they think it's healthier, or they like the idea of supporting local farms and ranches.
    The story goes on to say that a survey by the National Cattlemen's Beef Association found that half of consumers had heard of grass-fed beef, but only 28 percent believed it came from cows that grazed on grass their whole lives. Sixty percent thought the cows also ate other things, such as oats, corn, hay and alfalfa.
    Leah Wilkinson, food policy director for NCBA, was quoted as saying, "The awareness is there, but yet I think there is confusion. We want them to come out with something that won't be misleading to consumers."
    William Sessions, associate deputy administrator of USDA's livestock and seed program, was cited as saying the department is reluctant to regulate a cow's time spent grazing because some parts of the country might suffer weather extremes that stress pastures.
    So officials provided leeway by proposing that only 99 percent, rather than 100 percent, of a cow's diet come from grass forage, and by defining forage more broadly to include things like leftover corn stalks from harvest and silage, which is fermented grasses and legumes.

this is another instance of usda catering to the industrial agriculture interests. you can bet ag canada and cfia will go along in lockstep.

Comment

That is a different take on the USDA's proposed grassfed designation. This story has been covered in the StockmanGrassfarmer magazine and from what I read in the last issue the likely "grassfed" designation that will emerge will be a joke, way more open ended than suggested in this article - it is being dumbed down to the point that the commodity market can participate. The driving forces that are pushing USDA to do this are the feedlots and their large scale packer masters. Grassfed has been a very in demand meat and these guys want to participate. The consumer will be tricked once again.
      Organic status is equally a joke in Canada - it can be produced on a straight grain diet in a feedlot as long as the grain is certified organic. When I explain this to most customers they are surprised - they thought the way we reared them was what organic was about.(grass, fresh air etc)

That said the beauty of direct marketing is that I share with my customers how I produce my beef and they value that relationship, i'm someone they trust or they wouldn't be coming to me in the first place. I don't really feel the need to be regulated on this as the kind of customer we get tends to ask sensible questions before purchasing.

True quality grassfed beef isn't so easy to produce in Canada or the northern states because we have a winter.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...