• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Respecting people's property

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Respecting people's property

It is very sad these days that so many people are just not responsible for their actions. In another thread we have been discussing driving too fast/slow and the consequences of those actions.

About two weeks ago someone went into the ditch, through our fence - snapping off two posts and breaking all the wires. They must have had a 4 x 4 because they were able to whip a circle in the pasture and drive back out of the ditch using the same hole they made getting in.

Now there was no inclement weather that night i.e. no fog, snow, blowing snow etc. and there is no significant reason that we could see for them hitting the ditch. Other than speed and more than likely not paying attention. Have we heard from anyone about what they did and that they were willing to pay for damages and time to fix the fence - NO. I doubt we will, but the fence will have to be fixed otherwise there will be sheep all over the road come summertime. ;-)

There was a day when people would let you know, but I guess this "me, me, me" attitude precludes doing the right thing.

About 6 weeks ago, I watched as two vehicles were coming down our road - about to turn onto Highway #54. One vehicle had stopped for the stop sign, the other occupied by a couple of young kids, made no attempt whatsoever to stop and were going at least 50 mph down our road which has been like a mogul run this past couple of months. Needless to say one vehicle hit the other, pushed the first vehicle into the ditch on the opposite side of the road, the driver of the 2nd vehicle lost the load off the top of his truck and things were an absolutel mess.

The real kicker is that had I been about a minute faster on the scene than what I was, I would have been nailed by the vehicles as I turned down my road.

Just where are people's minds at these days?

On money dear Girl dont you know to get to hell out of the way when the oil pickups have a mission.

Comment

horse, that comment really is uncalled for. I am willing to bet that very few of the accidents and damage to property in rural areas are caused by oil company vehicles.

Most if not all companies have very stringent safety programs and anyone driving like a maniac would be hauled on the carpet and likely given a suspension, losr their job or something equally as severe.In fact, many companies have a 1-800 number on the back bumper or window to call if the vehicle isn't being driven in a safe courteous manner.

Now, I am not saying that people who work for oil companies don't drive like madmen at times, but I have lived in the oil patch for years and for the most part the drivers that I see, and meet on this road and other rural roads in the area are courteous and drive safely.
      I too, have had the fence torn down by a kid that went through a stop sign, hit the checkerboard warning sign and into my fence.

He did have the decency to call me and let me know, then he said he would fix the fence in the 'spring'. I called back and asked for his Dad and said the fence would have to be temporarily fixed immediately, then fixed properly in the spring. The Dad knew nothing about the little incident, but not too long passed before both Dad and kid were fixing the fence.

Comment

It wasn't my intent to point fingers because truth be told, unless the culprit comes forward, we will never know who did it. That is my point - we just seem to be turning into this triple S society and as long as we don't get caught doing things to others' property isn't really an issue.

There is absolutely no consideration for the fact that it will take us time and money to fix it. What I do hope is that there are some nice scratches to the paint job so that whomever it was has to spend big money to get it repainted. Oh and maybe fix a piece of the plastic grill and such.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...