• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ottawa's spectator sport

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ottawa's spectator sport

Ottawa's spectator sport
    Pierre Lemieux - Monday,12 December 2005
    Western Standard

A few days after the publication of the Gomery report, the Liberals were again taking the lead over the Conservatives, according to two public opinion polls. What's most surprising is that these results seem surprising to many people.

Short-term public opinion is volatile. The phenomenon of contradictory public opinion, or "cycling," has been known, and mathematically investigated, since the work of the Marquis de Condorcet, in the 18th century. But deeper factors are probably at play. To see this, we need to make a little detour in "public choice" economics--the economic analysis of politics.

An individual voter has no discernable impact on political outcomes. In an election, his vote will only count if there would have been a tie without it. With 15 million voters, the probability of a tie can be calculated as lower than the inverse of the number of elementary particles in the universe. In political debates more generally, an elector, as opposed to a politician or a pundit, also has a zero impact.

Political analysts tend to overlook the implications of this observation. Citizens will tend to remain "rationally apathetic." And those who do participate in politics have no incentive to gather and analyze information; they will thus remain "rationally ignorant." The rational individual will spend more time obtaining information about a car purchase than about the political program or team to support. Thus, it is not surprising that many voters will rapidly forget politicians' lies, broken promises and petty sins.

But more can be said if we consider what has been called "the voting paradox": Why do so many people vote (61 per cent of registered voters in the last federal election) instead of doing something more productive or fun with their time? A vast theoretical and empirical literature has been devoted to this question.

One reason is the same as why an individual cheers or boos at a hockey game, even if he cannot hope to significantly influence the level of partisan noise: to entertain himself, to have fun, to be part of the crowd. This is why election campaigns are run on empty slogans and superficial images. If there is a field where misleading advertising abounds, this is it.

Now, to be part of the crowd in this country--that is, east of Manitoba--means historically to be a Liberal supporter. Not only is it more fun to cheer and boo the same teams as your family and friends do, but "information cascades" are also at play: if most people you know are Liberal sympathizers, you economize on information by trusting their judgment.

The Gomery story is that a few Liberals have been caught in a scandal involving one fifth of one per cent of the federal budget. The typical voter booed as everybody booed. But the boos died when the game started again. When the pollsters phoned in the second week of November, our voter mainly remembered that he usually favours the Liberals. He has a good chance of doing the same when, and if, he goes to the voting booth.

There is another reason why a rational elector may decide to participate in the political process and vote, even if he realizes that his participation will have no more impact on the result than his purchase of tomatoes on tomato prices. The elector may think that one side is morally better than the other. Some people don't vote just to follow the crowd and have fun, but to express their conception of what is right. Call them "moral voters."

Where are the moral voters? If they are disappearing, or if most of them are on the side of the Liberals and the NDP, the Conservative party may well be doomed. On the other hand, if there are moral voters who are looking for an alternative to the soft tyranny that has been gripping this country over the past three or four decades, the Conservative party might have a chance. But bitching about Adscam will not be sufficient; everybody knows that any party in power long enough will have apparatchiks who go astray. The Conservative party would have to propose a real alternative, consistent with the Canadian tradition of liberty.

The only trouble is that some of us morally aware individuals remember another of the morally and financially corrupt federal governments, the conservatives under Brian Mulroney. And an innocent yet cynical bystander such as myself my think that an old axiom describes the situation to a tee "damned if you and damned if you don't" For what it was worth!!!!!

Comment

""The Conservative party would have to propose a real alternative, consistent with the Canadian tradition of liberty.""

If they do not ..throw them out. I advocate we treat polititions like babys...change them often!

Comment

carebear: I would suggest to you that Stephen Harper is not Brian Mulrooney? No where near the same party?
        Consider this "Conservative" party? It is not the Quebec dominated party of the Mulrooney Progressive Conservatives? Now without a doubt it is watered down from the old Reform/Alliance deal and I'm not sure how you see that...as good or bad?
        Now Harper has to play the game? If he doesn't he is toast, that is just reality? But when you consider everything the man has stood for in his life you should realize he is not a crook? Either that or he is the best damned con man I've ever run into?
        I truly believe this is Canadas last chance. If Martin gets back in, whether with a majority or with his lap dogs the NDP in a minority...the clock will be ticking? Maybe I am wrong...I seem to be wrong quite a bit lately? But I will tell you I run into a lot of people in the energy sector and the ag sector...and there are a lot of unhappy campers out there! They have pretty well had it with this social babble BS Liberal garbage and are ready to take a bold step. There are some heavy hitters waiting in the wings to get the ball rolling.

Comment

Carebear..don't know if you have any kids but lets say you have three boys, aged 17, 13, 10. The 17 year old borrows your car, gets a speeding ticket and comes home late. When the 13 year old turns 17...do you punish him too. Do you hold him accountable for the sins of the older brother?

Wilagrow...are you listening??

Comment

U'veBinConned: Yes, me listen real good. Not learn damned ting. Me go back to sleep now.

Bye.

Comment

wilagrow beats all his kids!

Comment

You guys are actually preaching to the converted will be voting PC, likely just because there is no other viable option but for me Harper is definately a leap of faith.

Comment

hey Carebear...thats what its all about. We are putting faith in human beings, and the chances of them failing us are good when examined through the lens of history.

I promise you though, when and if Harper fails in ares that I find dear I will be the first to expose him as a traiter to his stated goals.

I believe as an individual he is as close to the common man as any candidate we have had in many years with the exception of Stockwell day. Neither come from a life of position and and influence and wealthy conections.

But just one caveat...as a westerner, our thoughts and ballots don't hold much sway!

Comment

You sometimes have to sit back and ask yourself, "Why does Paul Martin want to be the PM?" Why would a billionaire need to put himself through the stress that he does? He doesn't really need the job, and he certainly doesn't seem to have a real vision for this country, so why does he think he needs to be the PM? What is really going on behind the scenes that he feels he needs to be in charge of?

Sorry, just some insomnia thoughts.

Comment

Paul Martin is the front man for Power Corp. Consider where his millions came from? The often told story is he worked for Power Corp. then they sold him this bankrupt steamship line, turned around and pushed all their business his way and voila...he becomes an instant success! Now why would they do that?
                      Next Paul goes into politics?
                      I wonder whose interests he will be serving?
                      Paul Desmarais, owner of Power Corp., became a financial powerhouse by politics? He buys and sells politicians whenever he wants. With Martin he bought his own primeminister.

Comment

...it is the old boy club at their best and it looks like he(martin) is going to try everything in the book to keep that way...the tax dollars are a flowing...

Comment

Egotism! Brian Mulroney said it is the ultimate board of directors. It has nothing to do with the obvious rewards (political salary). Its the manipulation of events, that somehow financaly rewards friends, that remarkably pay off later or are forever hidden from view.

Martin is also motivated (and desperate)to KEEP hidden from scrutiny other areas of the Adscam issue that were NOT part of the Gomery scope of investigation or guidelines, as set out by Martin himself!!!

Damage control!!!

Any one hear of the Adsam-Martin-Ernscliff connection???

You would if you subscribed to the Western Standard

Comment

I often wonder what might happen if Martin and his gang lose and the Conservatives played hardball and went after the thieves?
                            Could it be possible that one day we might see Chretien and Martin wearing orange jumpsuits? I would imagine they weren't stupid enough to do anything that they could go to the can for...most top notch gangsters don't...they let the soldiers do the dirty work! But I wonder if they could be caught in their own gang laws, like the RICO laws in the USA?
                            I wonder if the other criminals in the slammer would call them "right honorable" then?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...