• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Land Agents Election Issue

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land Agents Election Issue

I would that anyone and everyone interested in the Land Agent situation takes the extra effort to make sure this becomes an election issue.

As background...The Province of Alberta has declared you cannot provide advice to a landowner regarding surface lease or pipeline negotiations unless you are a licensed land agent. As there are hardly any licensed land agents who would work for landowners this drastically restricts landowners access to much needed information.

As the legislation presently stands a son cannot help a parent negotiate, a husband cannot help a wife, the president of a farming corporation cannot negotiate for a well on corporation land unless they are licensed. And recent changes to the Land Agents Licensing Act Regulations for all intents and purposes make it impossible for anyone wishing to assist landowners to obtain a licence. Please bring this to the attention of your election candidates. After the election the oil companies will be directing government policy on this issue. We need an election promise on this before March 3.

Yes f_s we need to lobby hard on this issue. It is insane. I have discovered however that using a land agent slows the process down as the oil company has to wait until we can all fit our callender's together. As the land agents get busier and busier and we all insist on using our own agent then it could bog the process down. In turn the oil companies will want it sped up and could even lobby to have the legislation changed. I can tell you have some experience in this area. Do you think that is possible? I wouldn't dream of going into a negotiation without my own agent and lawyer involved in the conversation.

Comment

Sorry I did not check back for a while and missed your post. As for bogging down negotiations, doesn't some blame need to be put on the oil company guy or gal? They know what they are willing to pay yet they can take their sweet time getting to that point. All too often the energy company land agent is merely trying to justify their fee by deliberately dragging out the negotiations.

I am glad you have someone help you. It seems the more a person knows about negotiating with the oil/gas companies the more likely that person is to seek assistance.

I would hope the PCs hear from landowners during the campaign that they are unhappy with the present wording of the Land Agents Licensing Act that restricts who can offer landowners much needed assistance. I do know the energy sector is lobbying hard to see the present restrictions kept in place and it is not because of any concern for the landowner.

Comment

Farmers_son thanks for getting back. I don't think slow or bogged down negotiations is a bad thing. That is the bright side of not having enough private land agents. More than once the extra time has brought advantage to us in our negotiations. There are some very bright adviser's out there that could be valuable to us landowners in a negotiation if they weren't worried about being charged with negotiating without being licenced. More than one policy of this government need to be revisited.

Comment

It sounds like you are somewhat politically connected farmers_son. This would be a good issue for your MLA to bite into. Also you seem to have connection with Arno, this would be a good one for him to tackle. If we could come at this from both ends of the province maybe it could gain some wheels. Let me know if you would like to team up and get a co-ordinated response going.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...