• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fair Share??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“then I hear a bunch of high school drop outs whine”

Well don’t let that bother you…in their immaturity they whine! What can you do? I have seen 24%interest rates on my farm machinery (1980)…I whined too, but I learned some lessons!!

“So increasing royalties is good insurance policy for when oil dries up”

What makes you think its going to dry up? Is it the same experts that predicted Y2K, or the population explosion, or global cooling? Scarcity is the MO of the price setters!! Don’t forget it.

Your last sentence I have already responded to. Sounds like envy to me!! Those jobs and the taxes they generate IS A FORM OF ROYALTY…PAID into circulation. The only thing government would do with the money is create bigger government!

You say you do not like the NDP or the left but yet you want some body to “manage the economy”. You can’t have your cake and eat it to.

BIG GOVERNMENT has never solved society’s problems, the examples are many. Giving them more money to create BIGGER government is what you can be assured is what they will do.

Comment

That is exactly government role...to manage the balance between free enterprise and social issues. If you would like anarchie move to south america, there's very little government involvement there, but oh ya next time you get hurt working on the rig or your kid comes down with pneumonia you're on your own. That is if you have anything left after the cartels take their what they feel belongs to them. As for envy read a little closer, I'm getting my piece of the pie so if anything I'm a hipocrit.

Comment

Willy has wondered why I am interested!

Some times I think that those of you who reside, and have only resided, in Alberta, have your noses so close to the canvas you can not see the picture.

From my familys own experiance, and from those in the field advise that much of your hospital care, health programs, equipment,and methods are 15 years ahead of Saskatchewan.

Many of you have benifited a great deal from the Alberta boom although not directly. But the rising tide has raised all boats! Some can see the big picture.

Will could sell one acre there and buy 5 here...don't know whats holding him back??

Comment

Likely your NDP Government IVBIN !!!

Comment

Maybe you should try living here. I haven't been back HOME to Sk. since we finished harvest, therefore haven't heard much on the upcoming election. What a shock it was to return home and see that even though any new potential government in sk basicaly has a cheat sheet right in front of them on what works and what needs inproving on based on alberta's model no one has a platform worth voting for. We still have the NDP that refuses to let go unions and government medling, the lberals who would like to see rural sask disapear and everything happening in saskatoon and regina and the sask party trying to be just like uncle ralf and giving the province away to big buisness, to the extent of adopting daylight savings time. It should be a no-brainer right now on how to make saskatchewan the most successful well balanced province in the country yet there still seems to be only two mindset there, communist and and radical capitalism. What ever happened to moderation?

Comment

"radical capitalism." "daylight saving"??

Whats the connection??

Comment

There is no conection other than the fact that the sask party has demonstrated that they are not capable of independant though and they just want to be like alberta. If you want to save dayligh get out of bed earlier!

Comment

My guess, with their "enterprise proposals"...The "Saskatchewan Party" will attempt to privatize the insurance industry and then you guys can enjoy much higher auto insurance...just like Alberta has.

Did you know that Albertans pay more for auto insurance than any other province? We like it that way. We believe in "corporate welfare". Soon, you will too.

Comment

Willy you must stop that speed reading!
                    You miss stuff...like this tidbit that I posted on the 30th.

"But beware...you seem to be oblivious of a few things....in 2002 more than 40 percent of Saskatchewan’s budget was not accounted for in the main books, the provincial budget!! Enron and World Com have nothing on these NDP bums! And they get a free ride from the leftist media.

As for cheap Auto insurance...think again! You get what you pay for. The average claim payout in Saskatchewan is $4135 compared to $11,895 in Alberta. Cheap? Right...cheap coverage...with high deductable!"

Or do you have on those rosie glasses again?

Comment

For several years now we have had this nifty little thing in Alberta that LIMITS payouts on auto accidents to $4,000.

Hurt plenty of lawyers that did accident claims work because they worked on contingency.

Despite the fact that our premiums have gone down, they are still outrages. So, are we in Alberta getting what we pay for?

Oh yeah, I forgot - it is part of that trickle down effect we are feeling from all this oil money. That and high gas bills and electricity bills, severely overpriced housing costs and rents, long wait times for any kind of service, if you can call it that in many cases. We have escalating social problems and a ever widening gap between rich and poor, but we don't want to look at that now do we?

There are people that are living way, way, way beyond their means who are terrified of the oil patch slowing down even more than it has. Too bad they are too young to remember the last oil boom and the promise made if there was ever another one.

What people have to remember is that not everyone works in the oil patch or even wants to for that matter.

Seems to me there are more than just a few folks with rose colored glasses.

Comment

Just read this little bit from a web site cakado. Your mention of electricity rates reminded me of it.

"Ms. Forbes further stated that the
                        electricity rates that Sask Power
                        charged the mill were substantially
                        higher than any of its Canadian competitors
                        paid. If they were charged
                        Alberta rates, for example, the mill
                        would save approximately $4 million
                        annually."

So here we have a Crown utility charging the Medow Lake mill, that the people have alarge stake in, rates that helped bring the mill to its demise??

Feed lot operaters have said for years that the power rates in Saskatchewan added a $25,000 dollar bill to a 25000 head feed lot.

Comment

Some of the people who remember the mess the petroleum industry was in during the early 80's are still living beyond their means and have brought their kids up to do the same !!!
                          Stopped at the post office yesterday and counted four Escalades, one BMW and a Lincoln Navigator in the parking lot !! Most of them owned by people who are crying loud and long about the new royalty regime !!!

Notice, not a word has been mentioned about the crisis in the cattle industry in Alberta, with the exception of one question from the Olds/Didsbury MLA to the Ag Minister during Question Period in the Leg yesterday.

Linda, did you hear the numbers quoted for the EUB/Altalink hearing ? It was an obscene amount, for a hearing that has been declared a mistrial !

Can any of you Sask. folks explain what sort of regulatory system you have in place for the oil/gas industry in your province ?

Comment

We have an entire generation that has no idea what it is like to go through a recession, let alone a depression. Living on borrowed money is not the answer to anything.

Coppertop, you bring up interesting points - no one is thinking about what is happening in agriculture, even though one in three jobs owes its existence to agriculture in some way shape or form. Compare that to one in 6 for the oil industry.

No where is anyone concerned about the rate that good viable agricultural land is being eaten up for municipal progress. A case in point is a farmer outside of Innisfail who has been farming organically for 15 years. His lands are being annexed, so 15 years worth of organic soils are going to be lost forever. There is land around him that could be used that is of far less value, but they are taking his. So much for sustainble agriculture. But then again, we are geared towards industrialized agriculture, aren't we?

Comment

The current crisis in the beef industry is going to weed out a lot of good farmers, some very close to my home. Some are taking as many subdivisions out of their land as the land use by-law will allow, and selling them as fast as they can to keep the banker happy. The only problem with that philosophy is that we now have a glut of five acre parcels for sale throughout the county !

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...