• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaccines

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaccines, in a sense, are becoming victims of their own success. As memories fade of the horrors of the original diseases that they prevent, more attention is being focused on possible harmful side effects. Instead of having to be concerned about millions dying from smallpox or coming down with measles or whooping cough, we worry about the possibility of vaccination being linked with some cases of autism. That suggestion was raised in 1998 by a paper published in the British medical journal The Lancet. Andrew Wakefield and twelve colleagues claimed that the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine (MMR) caused a bowel disease that then caused autism.

The report received extensive publicity and triggered public demonstrations against mandatory vaccination. Most scientists were skeptical of the Wakefield study, and their skepticism was borne out by the results of an investigation published in 2002 in the New England Journal of Medicine. Danish researchers had examined immunization records and autism diagnoses for all children born between 1991 and 1998 and found that unvaccinated children were just as likely to be diagnosed with autism as those who had received immunizations.

The Lancet study was further discredited when it was revealed that Wakefield had failed to disclose he had received a large grant from a group of lawyers who were looking for ammunition in a lawsuit against vaccine manufacturers. In the end, ten of Wakefield’s co-authors retracted their support for the original research, saying that in retrospect the results as reported were not valid.

The fact is that autism commonly shows up at roughly the same age that vaccines are given, and an association can readily be mistaken for a cause-and effect relationship. But even if there really were a link between autism and vaccination, the anti-vaccine movement would still not be justified. The benefits overwhelm the risks.

Comment

Wilagro, I agree with you. I'm old enough to remember people getting polio. It was horrible. Now the idiot crowd are saying the polio vaccine is dangerous and they won't allow their children vaccinations.

I've heard the autism debate, and even the flu vaccine leading to the Zombie Apocalypse debate. Now, measles are killing. WTF is going on?

Yes, feminists stand down. You old bags weren't meant to have babies. Leave that for the heifers.

Comment

A wingnut on a topic i have no opinion on because i don't know enough about,arguing with people who didn't even watch the documentary,all the while trying to point out farmers are being blamed in some circles on the stated problem.

Anyone know if there is a book for how to talk to dummies for dummies,black and yellow cover?

4 out of 5 doctors recommend marlbours

sugar is of no great concern

global warming is the greatest challenge facing mankind-err scratch that sir the data says we are cooling lets call it climate change

The term is tobacco science,can't remember if it was orwell or huxley,one of them had a phrase for it to,which i can't exactly remember how it went either.

Comment

Have to agree with Braveheart and Willy. I too remember Polio very well - took the lives of two older sisters of classmates of mine back in the fifties. As for bringing Thalidomide into this discussion - way out of line. How about checking for a linkage between Autism and the use of valium or prozac, eh? And speaking of Autism, had it been the flavour of the day when I was a kid, hell I think over half my classmates (myself included) were Autistic! Not putting it down by any means, but over the last 20 years or so we've seen a lot of new labels placed on kids like "gifted", "learning disabled", "bi-polar" for example. In an idle mind, the internet can be a dangerous place. Use caution! Oh yeah, I just learned I'm gluten intolerant because my farts stink...

Comment

What the heck is a marlbours?

Comment

" all the while trying to point out that farmers are being blamed in some circles"
              That's the message here folks. This is classic. Without saying he believed the video cotton has created a viral discussion.
              Perfect example of the use of social media to further a cause. The "anti everything "Stasi are masters at this crap. We have to get on the ball.

Comment

Just curious if third world countries have the same rate of autism in there communities as we have in more developed countries like ours and the US.

Comment

For those who never bother to try to ......put things into perspective.....first... before pretty well making your conclusions; maybe just read the last sentence backwards.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...