• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A moral dilemma

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am one that is getting out. It doesn't make sense to winter ANY animals at a significant loss, especially if you've any debt. How much work are your animals? More importantly, do you enjoy it, does it enhance your quality of life, and is it the best use of your time and energy? Or do you just do it because your dad did it or because "that's what I've always done for a living?" This is one year that is calling into question all our old paradigms. It is surely a year of change, and has certainly driven many of us who raise critters in the drought area to the breaking point. I was in the bank last week, and noticed a mostly empty box of kleenex on the guy's desk. He told me it's there because he sees grown men breaking down in his office over their situation.

Those with deep pockets may be able to weather the "weather" for another year or even a few more years. If this weather pattern is indeed very long term, we are in for "interesting times".

I suggest that there is going to be a good upcoming market for custom grass raised meat, as urbanites become increasingly fussy about their food. Those who live within a reasonable travelling distance from the cities will have an easier time marketing their critters. Not sure how some of us who live in the sticks are going to make out though. The neighbor just got $15 each for his lambs. And not everybody wants to/is good at doing their own marketing/advertising.

We have had three inches of rain here since the spring melt.

Comment

You got it Pontiac. ZZZZZZZZ

Comment

Tavani: You are the voice of common sense. Very good to hear in the sea of "cowlovers"! Dollars and cents have to add up in any business, or it isn't a business at all...it is an expensive hobby!
        And Rod I'm shocked you would question the integrity of Mothercorp or such a venerable scientist as David Suzuki! I think they need to send you back to school for some brainwashing in the Canadian way!

Comment

cowman: You sure do seem to be down on 'cowlovers' these days. There is no doubt in my mind that there is every reason to dump all cows this year if you are looking at the short term and getting out anyway. Nonetheless there remain many questions. How expensive will it be to get back in if you are not finished farming? Say you have invested a pile of money into specialized cattle related machinery and equipment. Will you be forced to sell this at bargain prices if everyone takes your advice? What are you going to live on while you try to rebuild your herd or on the otherhand, re-equip for another venture? I have heard over and over that some cattlemen have spend a lifetime building their herds. If it is dry next year will you be able to make enough hay to offset your lost income? How many farmers can the oilpatch absorb? Or, are we all going to flock to the city to live the good life?

Comment

You got the location those city dwellers want!!!
            It would be cruel to condem them to a life both of us would hate.

Do them a favor and take their money!!!

The wild life might prefer the new neighbours lots of urban foxes here.

The type of people who buy that of property here certainly create a more diverse environment than farmers.

Comment

You just might have a point there about me being too hard on "cowlovers"! I guess what bugs me is how some people haven't sat down with the calculator and figured out the exact costs and then considered the pros and cons of what they are doing. Perhaps I get a little disgusted with the attitude of farmers in general in this regard! And perhaps its because I've been just as irrational about this business!
              In a normal business the most competent usually survive. Competition allows that to happen. In farming its almost like reality goes out the window and sentiment comes flowing in. I guess in my case business makes more sense to me than pleasure. Besides I'm too old to do this anymore.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...