• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmers of North America

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmers of North America

Has anyone joined this new generation co-op? They run an ad every so often in the Western Producer. They claim over 300 million members. It sounds pretty good, from the ad, but they are not very specific when it comes to prices or cost of membership.
    The idea of mass buying power is a good one I believe. If all farmers belonged to something like this it could force the corporations to keep their prices down instead of ripping everyone off.
    I wonder if this thing really gets you a better deal or is just another middleman?

A word of caution about these "big buying groups". They certainly might find you the " Best Price" for things by buying on the idea of representing all their members.
    BUT will you be willing to travel several hundred miles to get the product? How about the local farm input dealer that is trying to maintain a service for his local clients. With farms getting bigger, and fewer, and with many of these farms going themselves beyond their community for volume discounts etc, it will only make it more difficult for the <1000 acre farms to find local supplier. Its not much wonder that so many small communities here in Saskatchewan are closing up. I personally prefer the idea of MY community and to *#@$ with the Global community. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

No way can my 300 million figure be right! That would be just about everyone in North America. I guess I'd better read the ad again!
      I think the idea was to pressure the corporations not the local yokel agent but I'm sure you have a good point. The little guy would probably get burned as the corporations are always pleading poverty anyway!
      The big packing companies always claim they operate on a stringshoe budget. Claims of 1 to 2 % return are common. Now this is patently absurb! Why would anyone operate an industry with a 1% return(well other than dumb farmers!)? I suspect they cook the books just like Enron!

Comment

LOL I never even clicked about the 300 Million. I guess the big corporations are already kicking out the local dealers, or atleast the storage and supply end of things. Some of our local Esso agents are pulling their product out of bulk plants nearly 85 miles away. So too I guess the local fertilizer outlets at getting further apart each year as the elevators close.
        As far as the 1 or 2% returns, that of course is after all expenses, income tax, and the shareholders are paid off. The CEO have already pulled out their 6 figure salaries so I guess thats not too bad when that is all considered.
        Nice to see some rain finally. Should help pastures that aren't too far gone.

Comment

We have an FNA membership for one year to try it. We saved our membership fee a few times over just buying parts at Acklands. I do suggest you set up a meeting in your area and have them come and give you a talk. Why is it we buy retail and sell wholesale, no other business seems to?

Comment

I am a member and advocate of the organization. the local dealer is not the problem as he is just the front man used by the mfg's...they are generally good people for the community and while it's convienient to buy locally...I cannot ignore the price differeance between local and FNA's lower price. Besides my oil, glyphosate and inoculant are delivered to my farm.These guys work for farmers and we need all the help we can get. the local dealer works for himself and I can never really trust what hes telling me. My loyalty is to me and keeping my farm going

Comment

I am a member and advocate of the organization. the local dealer is not the problem as he is just the front man used by the mfg's...they are generally good people for the community and while it's convienient to buy locally...I cannot ignore the price differeance between local and FNA's lower price. Besides my oil, glyphosate and inoculant are delivered to my farm.These guys work for farmers and we need all the help we can get. the local dealer works for himself and I can never really trust what hes telling me. My loyalty is to me and keeping my farm going

Comment

FNA has been around for a long time. They are NOT a new gen co-op they are a bussiness that sells supplies to customers to make a profit for themselves. They use a membership system much like Costco.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...