• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ag Census

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ag Census

There is a pretty good write-up on the Ag census in this weeks Western Producer. Some pretty scary numbers but about what people have been saying. 30% of farmers quit between 1996-2000 but some new ones came on board so it was only a 11% drop in 4 years. It implies a lot of the "new" farmers were "hobby" farmers. In Alberta operating expenses were 90% of gross sales! I don't know if that includes farmer labor or any return on investment. I suspect not.
    And apparently the poorest margins were in livestock not grain! Does this mean those old grain farmers have been misleading us?
    Now after seeing this census would you encourage young people to get into agriculture?

If the powers to be want to know what has happened to rural western Canada they should just drive in my community for awile.
    Yard after yard that used to be homes for families. The population is getting so small in some area's that a community can not exist.
    The main sreet in my town was a hub of activity 20 years ago now there is just a few business's left and they are all in tough situations as well. If we didn't have a couple of manufactures and a local coop we would be a dead town.
    As for advice to the younger generation on farming. Be and do what you want for a career but get that education first.
    I am at present thinking about going back to school or changing careers and am finding my high school aducation from 20 years ago is not cutting the mustard today. When I was in school all I cared about was getting done so I could farm, those decisions to not apply myself academic wise are haunting me today. No longer are "mature students" getting into courses without certain classes. Get the education do something interesting for awile you may be surprised the farm isn't as important as you thought.

Comment

Excellent advice! And you just might discover the same thing if you went back to school!
      When farming is nothing but a struggle to keep your head above water, it's not much fun. Better to get educated, get a good job, and farm as a hobby. Then it can be fun because you can just wing it and not worry about squeezing out that last nickel.
      Once upon a time the federal government talked about a transition program for farmers. That sort of got lost by the wayside...guess they figured out it might actually cost them something? Or maybe they figured they might get crushed in the stampede to leave!
      I've often suspected if the government was serious about getting rid of small farmers, it would be fairly easy. Just give us a tax exemption on our machinery and livestock. Try bringing the $500,000 exemption on farm land in line with inflation. Do those two things and watch the exodus! Then the big farmers could have all kinds of economy of scale!! All by themselves miles and miles from any neighbors.

Comment

Some of these so called government programs to quit farming are a farce.
        I don't want a hand out to quit but some assistance with tuition and living is needed by some people. I have been told as long as I still own my home quarter I am still a farmer and therefore am not able to recieve funding. The powers to be say that I would still be in control of a agricultural operation.
        I really do not want to sell my home for this reason, My hope is that if I do quit farming I can find something in my home area.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...