• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subdivisions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subdivisions

It would seem our government is trying to run a fast one by limiting subdivisions in the rural areas. After 20 years of pretty well wide open land use policy they have decided to shut the door. I believe it has more to do with big pig barns than with any desire to keep the countryside pristine?
    Anyway the bottom line is you still have time to make an application before the new rules come into play. Now if you have an acreage subdivided out and these rules go into effect you could see the price double overnight! Only costs a couple of hundred to apply and all applications are grandfathered!!!
    Now don't be swayed by noble intentions here! Realize every acreage will then be worth big bucks....around$30,000/acre.
    And that ladies will buy a whole lot of days in Paradise!!!

In our MD. there are lots of steps to go over and hoops to go through to create a new subdivision. Subdivisions are now limited to one per 1/4, and only maybe, even at that. They don't want decent farmland to be developed,(which I can see to a point), but even marginal land is difficult to get approved. There are a number of fees to be paid, (Which starts to seem more like another government tax grab!!)and rules to be followed, such as a 4gpm well, a road approach built to municipal standards, legal surveys submitted to land titles office, more land easement to the MD. for future road widening, and easements to the utility companies. The whole thing will cost about$10,000. If you can get it approved for a couple of hundred then it is a good deal, even if for no other reason than to have it accomplished for estate purposes so that each kid can be given a valuable piece of the farm, even tho they may not actually want to farm. At this point if you don't sell it, the acreage doesn't even have to be fenced, so you won't lose production.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean by jumping through the hoops. Same thing here. But this new set of "guidelines" by the province intends to take away the "first out" acreage for farmsteads.
      The idea of saving good farmland is sort of a joke. Right at this moment the City of Red Deer is stripping the black dirt off one of the most productive quarters in the province. It is a real nuisance for them as the black loam averages over 2 feet on this piece of land!
      The county I live in is fast becoming an urban playground. I think it is time for the politicians to get with it and get over the idea it is Old Macdonalds farm! Because their little fantasy is costing all landowners some real money!

Comment

The automatic "first out" policy is already a thing of the past here. I can see that having the acreages available to sell at retirement time could sure give one a sizeable sum of cash to retire on, and still be able to keep a hand in the farming game, as in a manager or overseer position by hiring all the work done. One could then spread out the sale of your assets, such as cattle, grain,and machinery over several years.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...