• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Alberta Advantage?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liked that about the pants!!!
    Speculating or investing? In the area I'm in land prices are only going to go one way...up! Land prices here have nothing at all to do with agriculture. A large Petro-Chemical industry does! When the "grunts" at these plants are making over $100,000/yr. it's not to hard to swing a loan! And then they get to play weekend farmer and enjoy the tax benefits! And this is good I believe. A lot of the farm land is being bought up by lawyers and doctors as an investment.
    I do realize land prices have been in the tank in Sask. and Manitoba for quite awhile, but I also see prices pretty strong if close to a major city. Land close to Regina or Saskatoon isn't all that cheap.
    One drawback of this high priced land is don't even think about an intensive livestock operation, cause it ain't going to happen! The county gets all kind of complaints in the fall about the dust and noise from those pesky farmers running their combines!! I mean how can you sleep at night if some farmer insists on combining after 10 P.M.?
    The really sad thing is this is top notch land with thick black soil. And every year the city takes some more of it.

Comment

Sad thing is that urban encroachment is continuing. City planning has not in the past taken into account good agriculture land when going through the process. Just look at southern ON, best place in this country to grow soft fruits (ie peaches, various g****s) and it is the heaviest populated area as well. The oversupply we currently have may eventually be solved by over population.

Comment

And actually Jensco cities still don't consider what the land is like. They just keep expanding wherever it is easiest. Land capable of growing 100 bushel crops...2 feet of black loam. Happening everyday in Red Deer, Alberta.

Comment

That's exactly what I was referring to! They don't care and then urbanites fume when they have to pay more for groceries because it has to be shipped into their area or their subdivision backs onto farmland where "bad smells are coming from". Not very smart! We are talking about the segment (many of them anyway) that have no idea where their food comes from - education is a necessity. I know it is happening slowly in the schools out here in MB but the rural schools are more receptive. There's a glimmer of hope.

Comment

10 acres of land in the city of Moose-Jaw sold for 800,000.00 to the local auto dealer to build a new dealership on.
            Reminds me of my family's only real claim to almost being wealthy. In the late 1800's my relatives bought some land in Vancouver. After a few had died off it came into the hands of my great grandparents. They hired a lawyer to sell it for them, he informed them that it was waste land and that there was taxes owing. He said he might be able to find a sucker somewhere to buy it. Well guess what a few years later the family found out he was the sucker and the land has since been turned into part of Stanley Park.
            I could have been one of those farmers whose biggest worry was which shirt to wear on vacation this week!!

Comment

If that lawyer was still around he would definitely be prime material for the federal Liberal Party! He certainly has the right attitude! Say, his name wasn't Jean Chretien by any chance???

Comment

I have no idea who he was, but our family always said he probably became a politician(ha ha).
                All joking aside, after I wrote that I was out checking cows and started to think about all the missed oppurtunities I myself and others have had. Then I started to think how much probably better off I am because my family never had it handed on a silver platter. I find myself sitting around with others (mostly over a brew) complaining about all the rich neighbors that have it so easy. Maybe I might be a little sore that they have more than me but so what, what I got isn't to bad. I'm not saying I don't want more but it would be nice to not have to worry about things quite so much.
                Have you ever noticed the ones with more than you never seem to be willing to help you out in a pinch like the ones that are struggling like you. I was layed up by a bull a few years back and the ones that helped me were the ones that were the hardest up for time and such.

Comment

These things aren't really about money but about character! You help those who need it because that is the thing to do. This country was not built on who was the richest SOB who could Lord it over everyone else! It was about people helping their neighbors and not kicking someone in the teeth when they were down. That is what is special about the farming life! Don't try to explain this to the little "experts" as they just will never get it!!! Charity for them is throwing a quarter in the Sally Ann Christmas kettle.
                  I truly believe our western rural heritage and our Christian heritage should be a model for all civilized people to live by! People helping people!
                  I have been very fortunate in that I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth(well, maybe good plate!). But more importantly I had parents who taught me values and to not let any advantage I might have go to my head! The thought "There but for the Grace of God go I" never leaves my mind. And, I am my brothers keeper!

Comment

Cowman: I got some brother in-laws you can keep. I'am sick of them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...