• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surviving 2001

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"farmers problem".
    I guess I didn't define income very well. If your major farm enterprise was raising calves for market and you didn't make a profit for 2 or more years, then you would have had no income from this enterprise. And yes, many farmers carry on by borrowing against their assets. How many times can we do this and still be asset rich? Many others generate off farm income to offset farm losses. I agree that their are many similarities to small business. However, the 80% you talk about is new business. Many farms experiencing losses have been in business many years, even generations. Marginal incomes and 'losses' have gradually eroded their assets to the point that recovery is all but impossible. An yes, there will be attrition in all types of business. However, when it happens on the scale we see today in a large sector of our economy doesn't it make you wonder?

Comment

Pandiana:You are very right when you say"marginal incomes and losses have eroded our net value". Now I can endure a year or two of hard times but when I see no one giving a rip why should I continue on? This isn't about the general apathy regarding food production! It's about a very ugly drought that is devastating our rural lifestyle! It is a disaster and I don't see anyone caring.
      Personally I could leave this business and have never a worry again in my life! Unfortunately I have a son, who deserves his chance, so I carry on....despite our uselesss government!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...