• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you need to spray peas if you have grasshoppers?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you need to spray peas if you have grasshoppers?

Last year I had quite high grasshopper numbers and I noticed that they did not like to eat the peas, but boy did they ever eat all the other weeds in my peas both broadleaf and grassy types.

Thinking that I may be onto something, in 2004 if I seed peas into my worse grasshopper fields from 2003 and there are lots hatching at spraying time do you think that I could get away without spraying for weeds?

Just some food for thought.

I think that you will have to spray your peas for weeds. My reasoning is that you seed your peas early and that the ground has to warm up for the grasshoppers to hatch so the weeds will have thinned out your peas before the grasshoppers get a chance to eat them off. Just my opinion, have waited to long to spray my peas for weeds and it has cost me big time so would be likely overly cautious about trying out the theory.

Comment

I had grasshoppers in my peas in 2002, while they never did much damage to the plant they did chew off the flowers, no flowers = no seed .. as far as spraying , I cant find any chemical that is registered in sask for grasshoppers..

Comment

Even if it doesn't work Poorboy I give you two thumbs up for thinking outside the box like that!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...