• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the opinion on Green Peas for this coming year

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the opinion on Green Peas for this coming year

Just wondering at the moment and not sure can have seed so to the ones that grow peas are any of you switching to greens? Price is high today and so is planting costs.

Not me, have yellow pea seed of my own. Every bushel of green pea seed will be planted next spring and if nothing happens, it will be lucky if it is worth as much as yellows next fall. Just my humble opinion was wrong once before, HEHEHE!!!!!!!!

Comment

The premium should be at least a $1 -$1.5 over yellows until the Dakota boys get back in the green game. There is not enough seed , let alone good seed to even marginally increase green pea acres for 2013. My humble opinion - lol

Comment

At $18 for seed canola seed is starting to look cheap. Lets all get on the green pea band wagon. Like the saying goes "farmers are their worst enemy."

Comment

Growing green peas in 2013 = coming to the party late!!!

Comment

THis is mainly about a loss of 200,000 MT of green peas from Argentina production as anything. Sure, USA drought issues help all prices, but main catylyst was loss of production in Argentina due to heavy rain. NExt year is anybodies guess but heard $10/bu was offered yesterday for new crop. Exceptional price.

Comment

Stock to use ratio on peas, as a whole is below 10%, in similiar territory that drove lentils to .50 cents. Given that peas as a whole are more difficult to increase given the availability of good seed (many fields were dessicated with glyphos as clean up after a rainy season, and some seed is just too high in disease to qualify), yes the cost per acre is high, but the odds of prices to stay in the range for another year is high.

Therefore, my guess is pea prices will stay in friendly territory, and with lessglobal competition in green peas than yellow, I am betting green, or maples... but yellows are golden too!

May the Ps be with you.

Comment

Cdn peas have been a cheap form of human protein. Green supplies may be snug for another year possbly. But the green premium over yellows must now be a record (around $4/bu). Growers are clearly in the drivers seat in the green market for the time being.

Suspect that this green premium wiil eventually narrow to more traditional $2/bu or lower over the next year.

Overall, the Cdn edible pea market looks solid ahead into 2013 (IMO).

Comment

$2 /bus should be normal. The green pea market has been stealing high quality green peas for several years at the same price as yellow - sooner or later it had to break. Regardless it is finaly good to see the spread back.

Comment

Green pea demand is less elastic than yellow,
                    therefore the premium gap could well remain in
                    this range given the fact there just is not enough
                    green pea seed around to dramatically increase
                    production!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.