• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who speaks for Sask. pulse growers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who speaks for Sask. pulse growers

In the Nov.15 issue of the Western
    Producer(pg 14) it appears that Pulse
    Canada's Executive Director, Gord Bacon,
    has given his approval to the recent
    suggested changes to the Canadian Grain
    Commission. One significant change will
    be the necessity of farmers to use
    insurance as a way of securing their
    delivery to a grain terminal,
    processor... Several years ago, the
    Saskatchewan Pulse Growers had lengthy
    discussions and surveys to determine the
    best way of making sure that they would
    get paid for their deliveries. As a
    result of their efforts, the vast
    majority of Saskatchewan farmers wanted
    to make sure that the companies buying
    their grain were bonded. It appears that
    Gord Bacon and Pulse Canada now support
    an insurance program to safeguard farmer
    deliveries; this was rejected by
    Saskatchewan pulse growers several years
    ago. When did Pulse Canada's Board give
    Mr.Bacon the direction to support an
    insurance scheme over the existing bond
    requirement? I don't believe that he
    received that go ahead nor do I believe
    he speaks for the majority of
    Saskatchewan pulse growers. Saskatchewan
    pulse growers are represented on Pulse
    Canada Board. Did they give their
    permission for him to speak in favour of
    these changes which will cost us for
    these insurance contracts? Maybe Pulse
    Canada has become too politicized and
    has forgotten who supplies a large
    percentage of their funding!

Pulse CAnada has gotten political?? What about a group of directors of SPG reccommending particular directors in the upcoming SPG election?? I thought people where supposed to come to a board independently??? I thought people where supposed to act independent on a board. Refunable levies will be the result of this kind of colusion amd i am starting to believe this more and more.

Comment

And to be quite frank, it would really be nice to see all farmers on the board of Sask Pulse Growers then breeders who recieve farmer investment dollars. Talk about conflict of interest!

Comment

Every single pulse checkoff dollar should be
        refundable.

There should not be one single bloody
        compulsory non-refundable checkoff pulse dollar
        in this day and age.

Disgusting process and disgusting Board of
        Directors, and disgusting legislation
        Parsley.

Comment

In Albertie, there is probably some phoney
          bs organization, that takes a refundable
          checkoff, every bushel of pulses sold.
          The money goes into the phoney
          organization which claims to do research
          and market development, butt in fact its a
          political slush fund, used to re-elect
          progressive c's provincially and
          federally. Heil Harper

Comment

Can anyone please answer the questions I
            raised regarding who speaks for Sask pulse
            growers regarding these changes to the
            CGC? Does the Pulse Canada Board support
            an insurance program over the existing
            situation where companies have bonds which
            ensure farmers will get paid if a company
            goes broke?

Comment

I am not sure of what the board of Pulse Canada has to say on the issue, but if you read the article it states that Gord spoke. Doesnt say what he said or Pulse Canada's position on the change from the current CGC bonding as the discussion was about the insurance scheme AFTER the government changed to an insurance based system.

This is like debating the loss of the CWB on Nov 20, 2012. Its over and done. I have to admit that i hate the current system. Does the government force farmers to pay for a bond to ensure that fertilizer dealers get paid? That's the same situation as the current bonding system and when companies go broke there seems to never be enough dollars to pay the grower payables anyway. Hopefully the new system is more bankable.

Comment

HMMMM..if only we had a CWB-Canadian Western Brokerage

HMMMM..an umbrella brokerage system for farmers,owned by
                farmers,run for farmers

HMMM...protecting buyers and sellers

HMMM...

Comment

And yes, Pulse Canada does speak for the grower organizations in Canada on federal issues and i also cant imagine that he would be deviating from the position of those organizations.

Comment

Just incase anyone is to stupid to realize that"it"
                    would be nothing like the old system go outside and
                    punch yourself in the nuts.

It would work perfectly.

Comment

Seriously,does anyone have a clue what we could have
                      accomplished,if we would have done this?

Comment

Can we get a copy of Pulse Canada's
                        speaking notes as the WP article by Barry
                        Wilson says that witnesses who spoke were
                        largely in favour of the proposed changes.
                        These must be readily available.

Comment

Those who support a refundable levy would
                          also be ones who go to a Rider game and
                          after the game stop at the ticket office
                          and request a refund on their tickets.

Comment

I haven't spent much time on this in the past, so after reading this thread I decided to peruse Pulse Canada's financial statements from last year.

Considering how processor/exporter focused they are, I was shocked to find Pulse Canada is primarily funded by grower check-offs. Secondly by government dollars, various operating projects, and lastly and leastly by Industry players. So how come it is supporting the off-loading of the expense of bonding/insurance from buyers to farmers. As I have often suspected, and now am blatantly aware of because of this, in respect to Pulse Canada, he who pays the piper does not call the tune. Wrong wrong wrong.

This is an excerpt from the statement;

REVENUE

Saskatchewan Pulse Growers $ 1,037,740
                            Alberta Pulse Growers 213,750
                            Canadian Special Crops Association 213,252
                            Manitoba Pulse Growers Association 80,000
                            Ontario Coloured Bean Growers 20,000
                            Ontario Bean Producers Marketing Board 4,500
                            Pulse Value Chain Member Funding 140,360
                            Government Funding
                            Agri-Flexibility Funding 1,301,416
                            Bean Dessication Project 186,735
                            Pulse Miling Project 186,735
                            Agri-Marketing Funding 128,582
                            Bean Dessication Project 40,975

FOR A TOTAL OF $ 3,554,045 Revenue

Comment

I think you folks have been misled!

Here is the statute. I see noWHERE that growers need to take out insurance on grain co's!!!

Who is saying this? NOT Pulse Canada this is complex I know... but I don't get where this is coming from!

Here are the purposed changes:

361. Subsections 45(1) and (2) of the Act are replaced by the following:
                              45. (1) If a person who proposes to operate an elevator or to carry on business as a grain dealer applies in writing to the Commission for a licence and the Commission is satisfied that the applicant and the elevator, if any, meet the requirements of this Act and any conditions that the Commission may specify, the Commission may issue to the applicant the licence of a class or subclass determined by the Commission to be appropriate to the type of operation of that elevator or the business of that grain dealer.
                              362. The Act is amended by adding the following after section 45:
                              45.1 (1) Unless exempted by regulation or by order of the Commission, a licensee shall obtain any prescribed security for the purpose of covering the licensee’s potential obligations for the payment of money or the delivery of grain to holders of cash purchase tickets, elevator receipts or grain receipts issued under this Act and shall maintain that security for as long as they are a licensee.
                              (2) The licensee shall, on request, provide the Commission with proof of that security.
                              45.2 The Commission may enter into agreements with third parties in respect of any prescribed security.
                              363. (1) The portion of subsection 46(1) of the Act before paragraph (a) is replaced by the following:
                              46. (1) The Commission may refuse to issue an elevator licence if the applicant has not obtained security as required by subsection 45.1(1) or fails to establish to the satisfaction of the Commission that
                              (2) Subsection 46(2) of the Act is replaced by the following:
                              (2) The Commission may refuse to issue a grain dealer’s licence if the applicant has not obtained security as required by subsection 45.1(1).
                              364. Section 49 of the Act is replaced by the following:
                              49. (1) If the Commission has reason to believe that any security obtained by a licensee under this Act is not sufficient, the Commission may, by order, require the licensee to obtain, within any period that the Commission considers reasonable, any additional security that it considers is sufficient.
                              (2) Despite any other provision of this Act, the Commission may prescribe by regulation the percentage of the value of a cash purchase ticket, an elevator receipt or a grain receipt that may be realized or enforced against security obtained by a licensee, and the security may be realized or enforced in relation to the cash purchase ticket, elevator receipt or grain receipt only to the extent of the prescribed percentage.
                              (3) If the failure on the part of a licensee to meet the licensee’s payment obligations is a result of their giving to the producer a cash purchase ticket or other bill of exchange that the bank or other financial institution on which it is drawn subsequently refuses to honour, that failure occurs when the cash purchase ticket or other bill of exchange is given to the producer.
                              (2) Paragraphs 116(1)(k) and (k.1) of the Act are replaced by the following:
                              (k) respecting the security to be obtained, by way of bond, suretyship, insurance or otherwise, for the purposes of subsection 45.1(1);
                              (k.1) specify the person or class of persons who may realize on or enforce security obtained by a licensee;
                              (k.2) specify conditions related to realizing on or enforcing security obtained by a licensee;
                              (k.3) exempt a licensee from the requirement to obtain security;

Cheers!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...